Hope I'm in the right place...incubating 1st time

Tiegrsi

Songster
Jul 19, 2016
Burgaw, NC
A good friend of mine brought me some eggs from his farm in Michigan. I'm in NC so they travelled a long way to get to me. He brought me a dozen eggs THAT had been "refrigerated" (around 45-50°) for a few days, 6 Americauna eggs that had been laid the day before, and 12 duck eggs.

Being the inexperienced incubation non-expert I am, I bought a Styrofoam incubator the day before he came out and only had it plugged in for about 4 hours before I thought it would be ok to put the eggs in. They were fine the first night, but the next day when I came home from work th temp had gone up to 120°! I quickly opened it and googled temps and incubation and cooled the eggs until the felt just slightly cool. I adjusted the incubator down and cheed the temp every 20 minutes or so for several hours while it came back up to temp, and kept adjusting it until it stayed at 99-101 for several hours.

I thought I had cooked my eggs.

Two days later, after vigilantly turning the eggs 4 Times a day and checking the temperature many, many times, I candled my eggs for the first time. They had been in the incubator for 4 days.

I saw veins in 2 eggs. I was so excited!

The next day I candled again and had 5 with veins! There were several more that seemed to be growing but I couldn't see through the shells well enough to pick out veins.

Tonight I candled again AND it seems 1 of The 5 quit...I couldn't see any veins in it.

So I have 4 I can for sure tell are developing, and several more that I am hopeful about.

All the duck eggs are still clear, but I've heard they are more difficult and I know they take longer to develop.

At any rate, I'm super, super excited to get ANY developing eggs after all they've been through!

Here is a pic I took tonight of one of the Americauna eggs!

Wow, it sounds like you dodged a bullet with the temp spike! 120 is very high, but thankfully it takes awhile for the core temperature of the eggs to rise, so a short spike should not cause any harm to the embryos.

Which of the eggs are developing? That is a nice looking embryo!

Duck eggs take up to 5 days longer to develop and hatch, depending on breed. So you must remember to keep turning them when you lock down the chicken eggs for hatching.

Yes, I feel terribly lucky. 3 of the developing eggs are from the "refridgerated" batch (2 blue, 1 Brown) and 1 was a "fresh laid" blue egg.

I will definitely remember to keep turning the duck eggs. Thank you
:)

Back
Top Bottom