1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hope My Cats Don't Like Fresh Chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by arkyartist, Feb 24, 2016.

1. arkyartist

arkyartist New Egg

Feb 21, 2016
    ARK
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    Just getting started.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    None yet. Still designing & building the coop & runs.

(3) What breeds do you have?
    Neighbor will gift me some mixed breeds, then I will add specific ones.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    Another chick-friend.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Day dreaming. [​IMG]
    Art.
    Wildflowers.
    Reading.
    History.
    Watching cows drift by.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else.

We bought a 35-acre property and I'm turning it into a park.

Husband has brought home a dozen cats from the sawmills. I've bottle-raised them, sterilized them, and adopted a Great-Pyr to herd them.

After I learn how to care for chickens, I'll add some Guinea & Peafowl. The cats are well acquainted with the flocks next-door, so it's really more likely I'll have to keep an eye on our other rescue hound until she learns that she's to guard the chicks inside the fence and not run them out of the fence.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Your 35 acres sounds fantastic :D Lots of room for lots of chickens!!
    Have you checked out the learning centre? It has lots of great articles that will help you get you started with new chicken adventures. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    The coop section also has some great plans if you are still looking for ideas ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new ventures. Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Dogs and cats generally do love fresh chicken, every chance they get. Livestock guardian dogs generally grow up with the flock, herds, whatever you want them to guard and protect. Otherwise they have to be well supervised and trained.

4. arkyartist

arkyartist New Egg

Feb 21, 2016
    ARK
    Thank you for the welcomes & the links.

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Great to have you join us! Thirty-five acres is a lot of space...for some chickens![​IMG]

Definitely check out those links left by Yorkshire Coop. If you're worried about your cat getting your chickens, be sure to keep either the chickens or the cat confined so that they cannot reach each other. Here's another helpful link too--regarding predators. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-predators-pests-how-to-protect-treat-your-flock

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad to have you join us. Gosh 35 acres! You must be very excited to have some much space in which to raise all sorts of animals - good for you!

All the best
    CT

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    [​IMG]

Sounds like you have some real adventures coming your way, have fun!

9. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

[​IMG]
    There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by