Hope they fit...

Yep I have to make everything from the brooder (rubbermaid with wire lid) to the chicken tractor I wonder if I can just skip buying wood and get it all for free... then I wouldn't spent any extra on all the extra hardware I want.

And no the building is the same size and the Cornmeal yellow is a bright yellow pastel! So excited!

Here it is I added the ventilation/windows with my dad and brother's help over the last few weekends an 1-4 a weekend and had to figure out how to re-cut the angles because did them wrong originally. It came as a 8x2 crate but we had to repair it and make it sturdy Yay free wood!
49626_img_5289.jpg

Painting the run rails..
49626_img_5291.jpg

More Painting! (Brother
smile.png

49626_img_5293.jpg

Last edited:
Pics are coming in fine
smile.png

I think the original design was created for cornish-x chickens which means they wouldn't be in there long, hence no nest boxes.

I think it's a cute "tractor" and should do you fine. At 8' x 3' you have more than ample room for 6 chickens.
smile.png

Oh Dang! I forgot to say that I argued with my dad and told him they'd need an 8x3 coop but he wouldn't expand the crate so it actually stayed 8x2 it stinks because now all 6 chickens I ordered probably won't fit! Argh!

Could just beat him! but I can't build it by my self...

That'd be less than 3 sq ft per bird. Not really ideal. Although they ARE just chicks right now and that gives you plenty of time to "argue your case" to build a larger coop in a few months time.
wink.png

8x3 would have been perfect @ 4 sq ft per bird. I'm sure that given the time you can "bump out" the back part without too much trouble.

It will make a great coop for the little ones...I would plan on going bigger with time. Get your brother ready to build after he finishes that one! I have 6 chickens, an 8 by 8 coop, and 12 by 12 run. It works really well for them size wise. You will be amazed at how big they get!

I don't even have them till next week so we have some time... if they start pecking I'll have to get rid of one or two and there is a chance that a few could be sexed wrong and then they would go to the freezer. I'm trying to limit myself to 6 here and now I'm back to where I started... 4
sad.png
I'll just have to deal with it because I'm not redoing the coop I've already doubled the budget and can't spend any more on it... plus my dad and brother are being really nice and building it for me I'll just be limited.

Well, you would know best what can be done with the coop. Look at it this way. Give them time to grow and even though you can only "keep" four the other two will be tasty!
big_smile.png

And you'll still end up with fresh eggs, just maybe one or two less a day.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom