Hope this doesn't make me the bad guy but ~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
That.
wink.png

Quote:
Really? Ya think? If that sounds a little sarcastic, it is. It seems to me that saying you aren’t trying to start a debate about it is an incredibly disingenuous thing to say.

That being said, I see no reason why a debate or at least discussion shouldn’t be started on the topic since that is your opinion which is your right. This whole site is all about discussion, learning, and helping each other. If you want to state an opinion, that’s fine IMO. You have a valid opinion, just like other people do, and stating it is fine, I just think that little part of this post is invalid… again, totally my opinion.

Now, on the topic, I see your point but I also see lots of people who go out to predator proof their coops better after a predator episode, and after seeing topics here about predators. Many people don’t realize all the predators out in their areas till it’s too late, or at least a BIT too late. Also, some people simply cannot build a fort knox type coop for physical and/or economic reasons. Who knows what other reasons are out there, but I don’t see BYCs purpose as judging them, and I don’t wish to muzzle people who have problems with their birds, or predators, or building issues. I’d like to help them, not discourage them or chastise them.

I’d hope people could come here to share and learn whatever their position on this is.

Quote:
We do take risks, well most of us I would guess prefer to let the chooks out and freerange all day. Mine do. I won't keep them locked up and I can't afford to build a huge run for them.

I also don't want predators roaming around for a free meal, we've been super lucky so far, one dog attack (the sherrif's dog, and I told him I would shoot his dog next time) and one coon attack.

Yeah - we take risks and then most come back here to whine about the predator and take its life in return. The nature of the human!

We drive too fast in strange metal tins with wheels, and lots die doing that - we KNOW that risk and we do it anyway.

Last edited:
Quote:
Really? Ya think? If that sounds a little sarcastic, it is. It seems to me that saying you aren’t trying to start a debate about it is an incredibly disingenuous thing to say.

There is a difference between debate and discussion ~ so my statement was valid.

I think its rude the way you made this thread. Sorry. And so i'll respond in kind.
I'll free range my chickens ,and yes, i'll loose some. and, YES, i'll be sad because of it. I dont appreciate this thread at all implying that i dont care for my chickens because i free range them..actually QUITE the opposite! I free range because i DO care...i hate to see them cramped up in a dirt floor pen (because how long can you keep grass in a chicken pen?) ..I HATE to see how they BEG me to be let out in the sunshine to chase the bugs and dig up my flower beds...
Do you think i let them destroy my yard because i dont care about them and their happiness?
So, to end this...I dont judge those that keep their chickens cooped up 24/7 with no change EVER in their life. And i expect the same respect.

ooh, also...the birds i did loose to a predator, last winter, was when i WAS keeping them penned up! A weasel got in and killed them one by one....and my birds could not run or hide ANYWHERE to get away from it! THey were penned up to be slaughtered! So, i'll free range and take my chance...Thanks.
hmm.png

So again, i really resent the implication that i dont care about my birds..how DARE you.

Last edited:
I free range my flock during the day, they roam free because it makes them happy. I do understand the risks I am taking and that is the price they/I pay for letting them have freedom. At night they are locked tight in the garage. In 4 years I have only lost one bird to a hawk which IMO is pretty darn good. I take very good care of my birds and watch over them while they roam free when I am home to do so. When I started raising chickens 4 years ago now I had them penned up and had nothing but issues with picking and fighting even tho they had plenty of room. The run had no vegitation after just a few short days and then they began to escape trying to find greens and bugs to eat. That is when I made the hard decision to let them free range. I would NEVER allow a chicken to stay out all night because of the predators around here.

ooh, and i DO believe you started this thread to have a debate and cause a problem. What else would you expect to happen with the things that you have said?
roll.png

AND we gleefully killed the nasty weasel that killed them, with a shovel!
10638_sign0151.gif
and i'll do it again and again..

Last edited:
Quote:
Total agreement with Hammie's mom here. This thread will only cause problems.

Quote:
Laws differ from state to state. Keep yourself safe and out of court by checking out your local laws before you act. example: raccoons are NOT endangered, but in some states there's open and closed season on them (as here in North Carolina). And I believe raptors -- birds of prey -- are protected just about everywhere.
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom