Hope this doesn't make me the bad guy but ~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope....can't compare kids and chicks. Well, not rationally anyway....
roll.png

Predators come up short because they choose to encroach into human territory and humans are at the top of the food chain. A smart predator finds an easy food source and weighs the danger against the rewards.

They take a risk just like the livestock owner who free ranges or does not have a coop built to Ft. Knox specifications.

Each creature takes a calculated risk and, at any given time, one or the other will pay the consequences. It's called life.
wink.png

I have built Fort Knox for my chickens (I hope) , BUT it has been all the people on BYC who have been willing to share their failings, traumas, ignorance, etc.... that has helped me to learn how best to protect and care for their chickens. So it behooves us to not be judgmental, but listen and share what we have learned, that is I think the best part of BYC. I truly thank all those who have been willing to show how that predator got in, what they may have done to get their chicken sick, and risk criticism.

If and when a raccoon gets into my coop, or appears to be set upon that track, I will have no qualms about dispatching it--to me, they are like big rats. If they ignore my coop, I will let them stay and defend their territory against other coons.

ETA--I do not think the OP was trying to equate chickens with children, she was trying to illustrate a point about people's inconsistencies and it may have appeared that way.

Last edited:
There are some chickens that I love very much and I do everything in my power to keep all of my birds healthy and happy.

I don't begrudge people with out children for not understanding the profound unconditional love that having a child brings and how it differs from anything and anyone else. I will say this though and it is the exact same thing I said to my x when he compared my ds to his dog.

When you searched and found your dog (he used a breeder) did you expect to live past 10 years, because I expect my son to burry me not the other way around. When you get an animal you have an understanding of its life expectancy an average dog is about 10-13 years, so unless you get your pet at 90 years old you expect that one day you will have to say goodbye to it and burry it. This is not an option for a parent, in fact it is our worst nightmare.

And to all of those who do compare animals with children, is your pet the only one you ever had, cause if not that means you accepted that the first one died and got a NEW one. That is not possible with children, there is no going to the breeder for another after the first is gone.

When my pets die I will cry but move on, if my ds was to die I would put a bullet through my brain before they could even take his body to a funeral home.

roll.png
. . . now back to chickens . . .

No, you're not a bad guy and I understand where you're coming from. I will not be coming on here to complain if one of my chickens gets taken by a bird of prey, because I certainly am not willing to roof their range area or put up all that silver stuff to deter them. The one time I posted about my chick getting taken was more to comment on how cool it was that there was an eagle in my yard (I'm sure it would have felt less neat at the time had the bird taken a chicken rather than a chick I hadn't attached myself to yet), and how awesome my dogs were for scaring it off the next day. In recognition of the fact that I value the looks of my yard over my chickens safety from airborne attacks, I certainly won't be going after a bird with a gun, even if it suddenly became legal to do so. My dogs do a good job of chasing off hawks, but if they fail in that it most certainly is my fault.

I have a harder time justifying not shooting a coyote, cat, dog, or raccoon on my property, because besides being predators they are also major pests, and in a couple cases, invasive species, whose numbers need to be controlled. The gun would be put away if there became any question of them sustaining a healthy population. I hate that we encroach on their land, but convincing people to try and maintain a healthy population amongst themselves is a chore I don't envy anybody . . . people are amazingly selfish and defensive on that point. It sucks that the animals suffer for it, it really does, and I'm very sorry that's the way it is. I'm glad people care, even if I disagree on a few points.

Last edited:
Quote:
Who's encroaching on who's territory? I believe that's why so many species are going extinct. And thanks for giving the predators so much credit, I am sure they are all out there "calculating" the risk, lol. I always ask my dogs, "are you calculating again?"

Quote:
Well, I for one, am glad someone values the lives of their children over chickens and isn't afraid of saying it. More people should own up to that one.

There will always be differences of opinions. Chickens, of course, are not children but we do choose to be responsible for them when we keep them. Living sentient beings should never be treated as anything less.

Our plans include a very roomy Fort Knox but will also allow a few hours a day for them to range in a grassy yet secure area when we are with them. While inside their Fort Knox they will have toys (really!) and a swing for entertainment. I am hoping this will keep them safe while allowing them an active chicken life. And yes, they will go to school--I am an animal behaviorist and will clicker train them! Its fun for us and the chickens as its all treat based.
wee.gif

Chickens do need to be safe and secure but they also need to get to scratch for yummies and have mental stimulation too. If you have to choose (hopefully you don't) what would you want--total lock-down safety or some freedom with the chance of being murdered? Tough choice perhaps?

Quote:
Who's encroaching on who's territory? I believe that's why so many species are going extinct. And thanks for giving the predators so much credit, I am sure they are all out there "calculating" the risk, lol. I always ask my dogs, "are you calculating again?"

My dogs are always calculating risks.....and they always look towards the house before they do something risky that will get them in trouble. I guess yours aren't so smart....
roll.png

My territory is well-established for many years now. Animals, however are a transient species that establish territory for breeding or hunting...but that territory is a fluid thing that can change from year to year.

Yes, they calculate risks or, instead of stalking and sneaking into my territory, they would walk in boldly and calmly eat a meal in my yard. I give them credit because they are smart enough to know the risk of getting near humans and even my dogs. Most wild animals are wary of humans. If they are not, then I guess these are the ones who become extinct.

I don't expect coons, possums and such will become extinct anytime soon, but I'm sure folks like yourself, with all your vast knowledge of the animal kingdom, will let me know when they are on the endangered list.
roll.png

Last edited:
Thank you all for keeping this thread open and sharing opinions. And no, I wasn't saying that children have less value than a chicken. And frankly see it kinda of silly that anyone would have.
tongue2.gif
thumbsup.gif
to those who knew the point I was making.

I believe many people read this forum as I do, its a great educational tool to teaching us how to keep our flock safe. And in reading these threads day in and day out ~ repeated stories of how flocks are destroyed under repeated circumstances, I wonder why people don't use the info to make changes to their coop/runs/etc.

I realize sometimes it takes money and time ~

I believe most people know that their coops are not secure, and that when they leave them for several hours unattended free ranging, that they are indeed taking risks. *I'm not speaking about birds of prey* That one is a little hard for anyone to avoid IMO.

So ~ I guess my point is, that many of these threads should fall under maybe the *Managing Your Flock* or if posting here, share pictures of your entire coop and where the point of entry was. It educates people on the do's and don'ts of how to build a secure coop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom