Hope This Saves A Turkey From Blackhead

Pics
After reading this puts chills in my bones I'm hatching out a bunch of Turkey chicks here in a couple days guess I need to hound my husband to build a new pen to keep them septate from the chicken chicks

Chucklecluck wrote: After reading this puts chills in my bones I'm hatching out a bunch of Turkey chicks here in a couple days guess I need to hound my husband to build a new pen to keep them septate from the chicken chicks

Many members, myself included, don't completely separate chooks from turks and have never been affected by this disease. Check with youir DNR/Ag.Extension agent to find out if Histomoniasis has been reported in your area (Wild Turkey flocks/Commercial poultry outfits within a few miles of your location). Chickens only concentrate the vector, but are not required. Just keep runs dry/well drained as possible and coops/sheds clean and dry. A regular worming schedule, in an area with known incidence of disease, is a good idea.

casportpony wrote: I have thought about using Valbazen since it will also get tapeworms, but I cannot find any dosing info from a veterinary source. The closest I have found is a paper written about a study done on some broiler chickens that showed the most effective dose was 20mg/kg.

TheSafe-Guard liquid Goat wormer (Fenbendazole rather than Albendazole) is another option (some field study dosing info): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6750887

Detailed info: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/animal...ldrugproducts/foiadrugsummaries/ucm069862.pdf (as food additive)

Last edited:
You can also use Safegaurd or Panacur paste, it's the same, Fenbendazole 10%.

1ml of the paste weighs 1 gram and 1 gram of paste has 100mg of medicine, just like 1ml of the liquid does. Make sense?

Last edited:
After reading this puts chills in my bones I'm hatching out a bunch of Turkey chicks here in a couple days guess I need to hound my husband to build a new pen to keep them septate from the chicken chicks
Many people do raise poults with chickens and never have any problems, but I learned the hard way. From now on, any poult or peachick of mine will not touch the ground until it's at least six months old.

This is so helpful. Unfortunately I lost a 5 week old bourbon red last night and have no idea why and I think I'm going to try this it can't hurt.

Last edited:
Ok. I have AWESOME news. No more losses after treatment, everyone is wormed with safeguard, all normal stools, happy healthy birds! I also treated pens and high traffic areas with lime and sanitized all pens. I will not loose another animal! This thread is probibly the reason we had no more losses. I treated all water heavily with a bit of vinegar and pepper while we awaited the meds. I also never would have know that our wormers didn't cover this bugger.

I want to thank you all with every bit of my heart! These animals are our food yes, but they are also blessings, each and every one. It's my responsibility to watch over every need. They are our pets and beloved friends too. It only breaks my heart that we even had one loss before I was treating for the wrong illness. So many of these diseases/organisms show such simular symptons. That is untill I found the yellow stool. But it was too late by that time and we lost 2. I at least know what to keep an eye out for. Just when you think you know so much, right.

Bless you all again. I hope this thread continues to save many foul!

Just a quickly: looking at this thread having just bought a new flock of turkeys, and i happen to have an old bottle of the now banned dimetridazole (aka Alazol) on the shelf. Using the instructions on this bottle and this link http://ps.fass.org/cgi/reprint/81/8/1122 it would appear that metronidazole (aka fish zole) should be given at double the dosage of alazol, which would work out at 2 coffee spoons of liquid metronidazole per 2.5 litres of water, with the zole being mixed at the concentration of 17g pure zole per 100ml water.

I don't have any metronidazole here so i don't know what it is mixed with in the preparation, but it should be possible to work backwards to find out how many grams of zole there are per gram/ml of preparation.

Will be buying some cayenne.

Back
Top Bottom