Hope this site

Discussion in 'Website Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by Tuffoldhen, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    is doing better. I rarely get online here anymore since it is so slow to navigate. Funny I don't have any problems with other sites. Take care peopleeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    are you leaving?

I had the same problem with it being slow. Now I am useing Mozilla Firefox. It works much better. a lot faster.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. waterdog

waterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Michigan
    Just pay a membership fee and you can turn off all the adds then everything will load faster, they just want some easy money

4. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

haha... I hope that was a joke. I promise, when running a community this size, there is no such thing as "easy money".

With that said, if there is anybody who has direct experience running a community with over 20,000 members that thinks we're doing a poor job and making terrible decisions, please contact me via PM ASAP!

5. Nifty-Chicken

Also, please keep in mind that companies like Facebook, Microsoft, etc. that have millions of $$ and thousands more engineers, still have systems that are buggy and problematic.

We're not perfect and we're making improvements all the time, but in my opinion (and the opinion of many other large forum and community owners) we're doing a pretty amazing job with the resources we have available.

6. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Hey Nifty, Even with Chrome (Has the fastest JavaScript rendering engine of any browser....) the site is taking an un-real time to load. It's like when i check things from proxys!

7. Nifty-Chicken

Please provide as much detail as possible. What version are you on? Can you quantify "an un-real time to load" (2 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 20 seconds, 60 seconds, etc.)?

8. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    On whatever the latest version of Firefox for Android is, the forum index took a little over four seconds to load. Android Firefox isn't the fastest browser around, but it tends to be faster than that on other sites.

The standard Android browser loaded the forum index in slightly over three seconds.

Google Chrome (for Android as well. :lol: ) loaded that same page in slightly under one second, which was pretty cool and very unexpected. Of course, I wasn't logged in on Chrome which might have effected the results. I'll have to find out what my password on this site is again and log in to check my results.

If I could figure out how to delete Firefox's cookies without deleting my saved passwords as well, I'd see if that would speed it up. Ah well. :p

9. Nifty-Chicken

Great feedback and details, thanks!!!

Those times are actually relatively ok, especially if you have ads showing. I visit a lot of web publishing sites and often experience about the same load times and longer.

Deleting cookies shouldn't make a difference in load times. Usually we only suggest deleting cookies if there are logging in / logging out issues. We do suggest the following for faster and more reliable performance:

1. Free upgrade to the newest versions of Firefox or Chrome
    2. Become a GFM (payment which is less than dinner out with a friend or you could win a contest) and disable ads
    3. Delete your internet cache / browser history of files

10. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    I am using internet explorer and have found no real slow downs compared to the old setup. I think you guys are doing great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by