Hopefully hens......

KyCouple

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 8, 2009
Well, we got to the breeder and they had a lot of chickens, rabbits, and ducks of all sizes and breeds. We picked out a few hopeful hens and got a really great price. Plus they are all very sweet. They are in a holding coop for now. Let me know what you think, hen or roo. . Worst case, we will have several coops with roosters only..lol
Thanks,

42607_img_0160.jpg

42607_img_0189.jpg

42607_img_0197.jpg

42607_img_0166.jpg

I dont remember picking this one out

This is our very own "KING RODNEY" (The reason we are hen shopping, other than eggs)

42607_img_0150.jpg

They are suppose to be about 4 and a half months old. Is their anyway I can tell for sure if they are roos? Any suggestions on taking a different picture and angle? Thanks

The 2 that I can say are Definately roos have long pointy feathers right before the tail. Hens at that age can have red combs because they aren't far from point of lay- so not a good indicator.

You did the right thing by keeping them seperated. The one in the little pic worries me, and the obvious roo in the big pic has a very pale comb- a sign of illness or deficiency. You should put some supplements in their water (if you haven't already) and watch them closely.

ETA: Is there any possibility you could return them? We know how it is- we've all had bad luck occasionally with our birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom