(hopefully) Small Problem- Adding 2 Bantam Cochin’s to the flock

govolsguy31

Chirping
Apr 30, 2020
Harrisonburg, VA (Central Virginia)
Hey guys-

we have six girls, all laying. It’s a mix flock all standard size. Rhode Island red, Plymouth rock, blue Wyandotte, ETC.

Tonight I picked up two bantam Cochin’s needing homes for the winter. One is about a year old, the other a 12-14 week pullet. I’ve set up a temporary area next to our main run so the existing girls can get to know each other without physically being at each other. What I didn’t bank on is that the two Cochin’s are not getting along. I’m not sure if they came from different coops or what. The older one is pecking pretty bad at the pullet.

i’ve separated them for tonight, one is in a dog crate and the other is in a box with a metal wire top on it. My plan is to try to put them back together in the temporary run tomorrow morning and see what happens. They’ll have more space to move around and maybe the bullying won’t be as bad between the two.

Does that sound logical? How likely is the bullying from the older one just because of stress from being relocated?

if that doesn’t fix things, would it make sense to try to integrate the older one into the existing flock quickly and just keep the pullet by herself for a few weeks while she ages?

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

I always do a 2-3 week of see but no touch integration.
I'm assuming the older one is trying to show the younger one she is top of the pecking order.
My worry would be that if you integrate the girls separately, you will cause the pecking order to shift twice instead of once.

I always do a 2-3 week of see but no touch integration.
I'm assuming the older one is trying to show the younger one she is top of the pecking order.
My worry would be that if you integrate the girls separately, you will cause the pecking order to shift twice instead of once.
That makes sense. So should I just let the little one take some abuse in the next day or two and hope it works out?
This is really my first time doing this. We bought our first 6 girls all within a couple days of each other originally and there was no established dominance’s. How much pecking is too much? Just let it go until there is blood?

Do you have enough room for the little one to get away from the other one? Hiding places, perches?
Yea, I can certainly make a few spots in the temporary run for her to hide. The problem is at night. The older one isn’t “actively pursuing” the pullet, but as they were hunkering down for the night (the dog crate is their temporary coop) the pullet is trying to snuggle up to the older one and that’s when she’s pecking her.

Yea, I can certainly make a few spots in the temporary run for her to hide. The problem is at night. The older one isn’t “actively pursuing” the pullet, but as they were hunkering down for the night (the dog crate is their temporary coop) the pullet is trying to snuggle up to the older one and that’s when she’s pecking her.
I think it’s normal to be a little rowdy at the roost. My second in command who never pecks during the day is the most vicious roost pecker! I think she just wants ample snoozing space. On the other end of the spectrum, I have one russian orloff who is often on the recieving end of bed time pecking. She’s so used to it, she just hunkers down and ignores the pecks 😅 I’m sure your pullet will either move away, or the older bird will stop pecking.

Is that the only time she's being pecked?
As long as the pullet is not being bloodied, let them work it out.

Today was a total turn-around. My guess is that yesterday’s behavior was from the stress of the move and the new living quarters. The two Cochin’s are getting along fine and settled in the dog crate for the night by themselves.

couple weeks of this and we’ll see about integrating them, where I’ll probably panic again!

thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom