(Hopefully) Straightforward Mareks Question

Yayah

Songster
Feb 17, 2012
Northwest Pennsylvania
So I had a lame bird last week with the classic paralysis but no other symptoms. I'm unable to have a necropsy done - so the question I've not been able to answer is - how long I would potentially wait before being able to assume its NOT Mareks? If I go 6 months with no other bird showing symptoms, is it reasonably safe to assume that that was not what I was dealing with? Is the time table less or more?
Thanks for any help that anyone can provide!

My vet was able to do a blood test (but apparently those aren't always accurate) that said it was Mareks. But if there was paralysis involved, chances are pretty good it was Mareks.

That's what I'm preparing for. Since there wasn't anything else going on, I'm being cautious and assuming it is that. Am I right on the time frame though? Symptoms can show up from 2 weeks to 6 months?
This isnt going to change much for me anyway - its coming up on winter so no new birds in or out but I'm very curious if/when I would start to see symptoms in any other birds. Everyone else is healthy appearing right now.

That's what I'm preparing for. Since there wasn't anything else going on, I'm being cautious and assuming it is that. Am I right on the time frame though? Symptoms can show up from 2 weeks to 6 months?
This isnt going to change much for me anyway - its coming up on winter so no new birds in or out but I'm very curious if/when I would start to see symptoms in any other birds. Everyone else is healthy appearing right now.
Marek’s is strange. Even if one shows symptoms of it, that doesn’t mean any other chickens will show symptoms right away. It might only affect one bird at a time. It usually presents itself in times of stress, but sometimes it just seems random. If you keep a smaller flock, it’s a good idea to only get vaccinated chicks. If you have a bigger one, breeding for resistance is an option. Seramas and silkies are breeds that are more heavily affected by Marek’s, while Egyptian fayoumis are usually pretty resistant already.

Last edited:
Marek’s is strange. Even if one shows symptoms of it, that doesn’t mean any other chickens will show symptoms right away. It might only affect one bird at a time It usually presents itself in times of stress, but sometimes it just seems random. If you keep a smaller flock, it’s a good idea to only get vaccinated chicks. If you have a bigger one, breeding for resistance is an option. Seramas and silkies are breeds that are more heavily affected by Marek’s, while Egyptian fayoumis are usually pretty resistant already.
THANK YOU so much for the reply! This is still on my mind. 3 weeks out from that incident and so far - nothing. I have a small flock - 15 birds outside (and yes, I do keep seramas!) No one else has gotten sick. If they all make it through the winter without incident, am I safe to assume that it wasn't Mareks? Am I ever safe to assume that?

THANK YOU so much for the reply! This is still on my mind. 3 weeks out from that incident and so far - nothing. I have a small flock - 15 birds outside (and yes, I do keep seramas!) No one else has gotten sick. If they all make it through the winter without incident, am I safe to assume that it wasn't Mareks? Am I ever safe to assume that?
It’s hard to say. I’d want to say yes, but you have to be careful. You can get a blood test or a feather test, but I believe they’re expensive and/or unreliable.

Back
Top Bottom