Hoppy the one legged chick**1-18-08 Sad News to Share

Such a little cutie ! I'm sure as she(?) will learn how to get around better ! My RIR did . Here's a pick of her (she is standing up and as you can see her leg is very twisted )

DSC00166.jpg

Thanks, Union! That pic does help. I still wonder if I should have just euth'd Hoppy in the beginning and if she's 'happy' or not. Or if chickens even care about 'happy'.

She doesn't seem to be in any pain and is feeding herself - I do check her crop in the afternoon to make sure there is something in there...

As long as the others aren't picking on her, I figure I'll just let her be.

Now that I have hoppy, Jr - my Barred Rock with a similar issue - I figure I can always house them together as they grow up to be buddies if the others start picking on them.

I have some sad news to share today. I went out to the coop to do my morning check and found Hoppy had died during the night. From the looks of things, she either got pushed out, or went out of the barn during the cold and damp night. She must have gotten disoriented in the dark and couldn't find her way back, and died from exposure.

Working with Hoppy was always a roll of the dice from the beginning. Many experienced chicken folk would have told me to euthanize her once her infirmity was apparent at a day old. I couldn't bring myself to euthanize a chick that was otherwise very healthy, and just needed a little extra help to get to the food.

Once they moved out to the coop, she was doing really well with her eating, and actually had started to grow a bit more, but never did seem to have a zest for life like the other chicks. While they were out scratching around in the run, she would be huddled in the corner of the barn, just sitting. I don't know how aware chickens are of their own quality of life, but I just didn't think she was a happy chicken, and many times I had second thoughts about whether I made the right decision in giving her so much support those first few weeks.

Sometime during the night, her fight ended. RIP, little Hoppy!
DSCF1095.jpg

sorry to hear this! Happy was a darlin!Just feel good that you did all you could to help Happy and make the life she had the best life she could have. My hats off to you!:aww

Arlee, so sorry about Hoppy. Maybe you're right about creatures knowing about quality of life, when they can see the others. Perhaps she and God made a partnership during the night.

Ok I now have to fix my make-up
hit.gif
I am so so sorry the poor little one is gone.
I think in away she understood you were trying to give her the best chance at a happy life and - at least you can say you did everything to make sure she was taken care of.
I am so sorry this happened to such a sweet little one.

Julie

Back
Top Bottom