Horizontal Nipple Waterers... in your opinion, yes or no?

Yes or no?

• Total voters
Pics
Not sure. Just put one in with them, along with their regular waterer, so they can try and practice.

6 week old standard chicks can use them, but not sure about Silkies or other bantams due to size. Doesn't hurt to try and train them anyhow but I would leave other sources of water for the time being, until I could see for certain that they're able to use the toggles without difficulty.

I don't know about Silkies, but mine are learning how.
Ok, thanks! I'll try and see if they figure it out, but leave other water with them for right now! I'm guessing by 8/10 weeks they might be able to use it independently?
Hi there- off topic, but you mentioned rats- have you tried a Grandpa’s feeder? It took my girls a little while to figure it out but now that they have, their food is in a rodent-proof bin. I highly recommend these feeders. I can put a whole bag of feed into it, and it keeps the feed dry and I’m no longer feeding mice and chippies!

https://www.grandpasfeeders.com/pro...MI85Cp3dq98QIVcG1vBB09bA9fEAAYASAAEgLtFvD_BwE
I haven't tried that yet. It looks pretty good, but also pretty expensive! (134 dollars)

I might end up trying, but am not yet convinced.

Ok, thanks! Only problem is that they have a larger hen with them in the smaller tractor for introduction, so she might figure it out and start drinking from it before they do.

That would be a good thing.

My Splits learned to use the nipples from The Ladies during their integration process.

That would be a good thing.

My Splits learned to use the nipples from The Ladies during their integration process.
Same, my last batch of chicks didn't really need to be taught since they watched the hens drink and copied them (though I still picked up each one and nudged the toggle with their beaks, since I have a small flock).

The biggest advantage is that the water temperature in the buckets with lids on doesn't get hot during triple digit temperatures. We put nipples around 6-8 inches apart & another advantage is that the buckets don't have to be refilled daily & when they get to around 1/2 full to refill. It's recommended to wait until they're 3 weeks old, the same with the cups. They're "stuck" with the buckets overnight & since our chicks of all ages are combined with ducklings of all ages they have tubs of waters in their pens. We have 2 groups, the ones that still need a heat lamp at night & the ones that don't. We use a "T" at the outdoor water faucet to enable us to use 2 garden hoses down there so we don't have to carry any water. Before the chicks are turned loose for the day they use the buckets & during the hottest part of the day they use the buckets. When I fill the tubs with fresh, clear, cool water then some will go to them as well as the ducklings. (I once thought I heard a duckling yell, "The last one in is a rotten egg!" but I may have been mistaken)

Ok, thanks! I'll try and see if they figure it out, but leave other water with them for right now! I'm guessing by 8/10 weeks they might be able to use it independently?

I haven't tried that yet. It looks pretty good, but also pretty expensive! (134 dollars)

I might end up trying, but am not yet convinced.
Yes, it is expensive initially, but at the rate that I was losing food to chippies, squirrels and “other” I feel that it has paid for itself. Also, my mouse traps have been empty for quite a few months. That alone has made the feeder worth the investment! 😁

Thought I would update, the full grown chickens are fully using the HN so I removed the other fountain waterer. I’m planning for that to be their permanent waterer for now on, though I’m going to keep the fountain waterer in case of another heatwave.

I have not tried it with the chicks yet though. I’ll plan to do it when I get back home (I’m currently on vacation)

Yes, it is expensive initially, but at the rate that I was losing food to chippies, squirrels and “other” I feel that it has paid for itself. Also, my mouse traps have been empty for quite a few months. That alone has made the feeder worth the investment! 😁

l’ll definitely think about it! I think it’s a great idea, I’ve recently not only seen rats, but also squirrels eating from their current feeder, and hanging their regular feeder didn’t fix the problem. I’ll see if I can convince my sister (who shares the flock) that it’s a good idea.

Can 6 week chicks learn to use the HN? Someone told me it would be too hard for them to Peck and get water out.

They’re silkies and not yet integrated with the bigger flock, so I want to get them used to it soon.
I use nipple waterer for chicks straight from the hatchery with no problem. When I get them out of the shipping crate first thing I do one at at time is get their beaks to poke the nipple. Never had an issue. (of course I there is occasionally one or two lost birds the first week but doubt that was lack of water just normal attrition after the shipping journey.)

Back
Top Bottom