Horizontal Nipple Waterers... in your opinion, yes or no?

Yes or no?

• Total voters
Thanks for all the (mostly positive) opinions on these! I'm going to order some (Maybe on Amazon,) any recommendations on brand, or are they mostly the same?
If you want a heated bucket the smallest one I found was for at least 5 gallons. I know ya said you don't want to pick up anything bigger but I only move my actual waterers once a month to clean them. I check and add a gallon or two of water to them daily.

I also catch rain water in a barrel off the coops roof so my water source is next to it. I just run a hose over to the waterers.
It doesn't get too cold around here (It rarely snows :hit) but I do have a heater for a regular fountain waterer, you just put the waterer on top, so I could see if that works. It automatically turns on at 32 degrees. (Or maybe its a different temperature, I don't really remember)
I'll never try them again. A few years ago I tried them. put the bucket on a concrete block the right height. Worked fine for a while, then one of the nipples failed. It leaked, I gather that the spring in it failed. Fortunately I had another water source otherwise the bucket would have drained through that leak leaving the birds without water. I live in the desert.
How quickly did it leak?

I use a 32 gallon balck plastic trash can with 5 nipples on it. I love only filling water once a month! I plan on running a rain catching system right into the garbage pail soon for even less frequent topoffs.

Yeah I had somebody try to give me an empty 15 gallon plastic barrel that had cooking oil in it. Still kicking myself for not grab it and upgrade my waterer to something supersized for only 12 birds.

It doesn't get too cold around here (It rarely snows :hit) but I do have a heater for a regular fountain waterer, you just put the waterer on top, so I could see if that works. It automatically turns on at 32 degrees. (Or maybe its a different temperature, I don't really remember)

Make sure the heater is rated to use with plastic buckets. Many are not and that turns everything into a fire/electrical hazard.

Absolutely love our HN!! Started our chickens with them at 3-4 weeks old. Water stays clean. No drips, no mess. We live in northern Minnesota (winters at -40 degrees) and they have not frozen. We only use the Danish ones (Columbus Aqua) from heritageacresmarket.com, can also find them on Amazon. They have a lifetime leak-free guarantee.

Yeah I had somebody try to give me an empty 15 gallon plastic barrel that had cooking oil in it. Still kicking myself for not grab it and upgrade my waterer to something supersized for only 12 birds.
Have you thought about using a tote with lid. I used a 14 gallon tote last winter for my 5 chickens. Only filled it every few weeks. Fortunately I have a water faucet in the heated well house so can run a hose out to the coop when the waterer needs filled no matter how cold it is.

Have you thought about using a tote with lid. I used a 14 gallon tote last winter for my 5 chickens. Only filled it every few weeks. Fortunately I have a water faucet in the heated well house so can run a hose out to the coop when the waterer needs filled no matter how cold it is.

I looked at it but already have 2 5 gallon buckets set up. Plus I don't really trust my heater in something that thin. Not a huge fan of it in a 5 gallon bucket but t's supposed to be rated for one.

Where is the best place to purchase them?
The cheapest ones or on Amazon but they are Chinese knock-offs of the original ones from Denmark. I have been told that the Chinese Knock-Offs tend to leak, rust, and will freeze.

This place carries the original HN's from Denmark and are guarantied not to leak or freeze.

Of course they cost a little more but worth it since they are better made.
Heritage Acres

Back
Top Bottom