horizontal nipples installed in PVC

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kirghizstan, Mar 27, 2015.

1. kirghizstan

kirghizstan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2014
    Mass, USA
    Received my horizontal nipples in the mail yesterday. As I have seen on google, i attempted to install them in PVC pipe. No luck. everytime i tried they would just pop out. I was using 1" PVC.

What is the trick?

I'm thinking about putting t joints and fitting them with reducing bushings that have 3/8 thread on them to screw the nipples in. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/green-leaf-nylon-reducer-bushing-1-2-in-mpt-x-3-8-in-fpt

What have you do to make them work.

2. Bradfordj

Bradfordj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Have you tried tapping threads into the pvc pipe. Unfortunately most people don't have a tap set laying around.

3. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    i have seen videos showing running a fine threaded bolt into the hole first. it pretty much acts as a 'tap' and cuts some threads into the plastic, like a tap would

1 person likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  5. kirghizstan

kirghizstan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2014
    Mass, USA
    So over the weekend I was able to fabricate a complete solution for this.

I used

1" PVC schedule 40
    1" slip 1/2" threaded PVC Tee
    1/2" to 1/8" brass bushing
    thread tape

had a few leaks when id didn't use the thread tape, but after applying that everything worked perfectly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was worried because the chicks weren't drinking from it. I pushed the beaks into it to show them after i put it in and took the old waterer out, however after a few hours I didn’t really see them doing anything. I tried it again but nothing. However, an hour after I showed them the second time someone figured it out because they all started attacking one of the nipples then over the next 15 minutes they started to figure out that all of 5 of them did the same thing so the 9 of them didn’t have to fight over 1 nipple

1 person likes this.
  6. babsbag

babsbag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    Anderson, CA
    I know this is an old thread, but other than the brass bushings are there any other proven solutions? I have 10 nipples to install and the bushings are 5.00 each. OUCH.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You can buy plastic bushings......
    ......or buy the appropriate drill and NPT tap to put threaded holes right in the pipe itself instead of buying any fittings at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by