Horizontal Nipples with Lock Nut?

Ghostnuke

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 18, 2010
Does anyone know if there are horizontal nipples available anywhere with a locking nut for the backside? I always have a hell of a time getting them put into PVC pipe with out leaking, so I think I'm just going to put them straight into a 55 gallon barrel. I'd like to have some kind of nut on the inside to really lock it in though. Has anyone seen that before?

None with nuts that I know of. Drill an 11/32 hole and screw them in leaving 2 - 3 threads showing. Do not screw them all the way in and nothing is needed on the threads. I have multiple waterers and none of them leak at the threads.
14 gallon waterer.jpg 20170422_105015.jpg 20170423_140822.jpg

None with nuts that I know of. Drill an 11/32 hole and screw them in leaving 2 - 3 threads showing. Do not screw them all the way in and nothing is needed on the threads. I have multiple waterers and none of them leak at the threads.
View attachment 1588632 View attachment 1588634 View attachment 1588635
Do you know why you're not supposed to screw them all the way in? Always been curious about that. And great idea on the pitcher, I never thought of that!

I use the pitcher for my brooder. I introduce the nipples at two weeks. I leave a chick waterer in with the nipple waterer for a week, by then most of them have used the nipples.

My theory on leaving 2 - 3 threads is, so you can screw it in further if it would leak or if you take them out to clean them, you could give it an extra turn to prevent leaking at the threads. I have taken one out before to clean. Something got caught in the O-ring and wouldn't seal, it had a minor drip.

I used a liquid Teflon tape product-I think it was called pipe thread sealant-and have not since had any problem with my horizontal nipples leaking. It’s safe for plastic and potable water, easy to use, and less than $5.

I haven't had one leak from the threads yet, and they're the super cheap ones. I think the OP's leaking problem was simply due to using them on PVC pipe (I'm assuming small diameter was used). They seem totally fine on a mildly curved surface, provided the hole is drilled the correct size.

I haven't had one leak from the threads yet, and they're the super cheap ones. I think the OP's leaking problem was simply due to using them on PVC pipe (I'm assuming small diameter was used). They seem totally fine on a mildly curved surface, provided the hole is drilled the correct size.

I have used them with 1/2" PVC pipe but I used a tee with 1/8"NPT to screw the nipple into.

Agreed. The 1/2" PVC is too tight of a curve to accept the nipple. I use 1/2'X1/8" tees.
To go right into PVC pipe, it needs to be at least 1 1/2" pipe.
I don't think a nut on the backside will work because of the extreme taper of the threaded portion of the nipple.

Back
Top Bottom