Horizontal plucker rpm?

kip

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
Hi all.

I'd like to raise my first batch(es) of broilers this year but i do not fancy plucking them by hand.
I know a tub style plucker has to be around 200-300 rpm but i cant find anything for the "normal" horizontal shaft/drum type plucker.

I was told i can't use my 200 rpm motor upsidedown/ vertical because it has an attached gearbox and all the gear oil will drain to the bottom and it wouldn't lube the gears like it should do.
Because of this i can't use my motor for an tub style plucker, so i'll go for an horizontal shaft/ drum type of plucker.
(Anyone uses an motor with attached gearbox vertically on an tub plucker?)
I want to conect the drum with fingers directly on the motor no pulleys and belt to save on costs and size but i'm afraid 200rpm just doesn't do the job.
What do you think?

Thanks.

(Excuse me for bad English.)

don't exactly understand your motor set up. but IMO, I'd do a belt system. this would change the RPM of your plucker to slower or faster as you want it...I'm thinking of doing it with an electric motor........but the cost of the plucker fingers are scaring me off!

I want to mount the motor directly to the plucker like this one http://www.theplucker.biz/
I understand i can use different size pulleys to increase/ decrease the speed but i want to make like an tabletop plucker, as small as possible.
Seen US prices for the fingers on ebay, i guess i'm blessed with the prices here in Holland!

don't exactly understand your motor set up. but IMO, I'd do a belt system. this would change the RPM of your plucker to slower or faster as you want it...I'm thinking of doing it with an electric motor........but the cost of the plucker fingers are scaring me off!

Unfortunately what everybody sees as affordable is different, but we got some for $0.50 each shipped off ebay. We're only making a drill mounted one, so that was certainly fine for us. I've seen pluckers made with cut-up bungee cords.

I'm more afraid that our drills will run it at too high RPM though.

Unfortunately what everybody sees as affordable is different, but we got some for $0.50 each shipped off ebay. We're only making a drill mounted one, so that was certainly fine for us. I've seen pluckers made with cut-up bungee cords.

I'm more afraid that our drills will run it at too high RPM though.

I thought I had looked up around $4 each to get them here to me....might have to check into that again! $0.50 would certainly be fine, I'd reconsider doing a tub for that price!

use a variable speed drill. the old ones have a knob on the trigger you can turn to hold the adjustment where you want it. yard sales would be a great place to find one I would think.

I want to mount the motor directly to the plucker like this one http://www.theplucker.biz/
I understand i can use different size pulleys to increase/ decrease the speed but i want to make like an tabletop plucker, as small as possible.
Seen US prices for the fingers on ebay, i guess i'm blessed with the prices here in Holland!

if you want a 12 volt one , I'd use the electric fan motor out of either the blower in the cab, or preferably the one behind the radiator.if a 110 volt one is desired, I agree with popsickle, drill motor.

I thought I had looked up around $4 each to get them here to me....might have to check into that again! $0.50 would certainly be fine, I'd reconsider doing a tub for that price!

use a variable speed drill. the old ones have a knob on the trigger you can turn to hold the adjustment where you want it. yard sales would be a great place to find one I would think.

I'll see if I can get the seller name for you.

We have an old drill that would work perfect--and I think it might have been a yard sale purchase. Thanks, I'll set up the drill cradle for that one.

I do not want to use a 12 volt motor, the link is only an example how i like to mount the fingers. 110 volts isn't going to work for me because we have 220 volts here
tongue.png

I am considering to look for an other motor to make an tub style plucker, If i can get the motor cheap or free i might be able to make an tub plucker for under €100 because i can make the featherplate, shaft and an steel frame at work, one of the benefits of working as an cnc machinist.

I do not want to use a 12 volt motor, the link is only an example how i like to mount the fingers. 110 volts isn't going to work for me because we have 220 volts here
tongue.png

I am considering to look for an other motor to make an tub style plucker, If i can get the motor cheap or free i might be able to make an tub plucker for under €100 because i can make the featherplate, shaft and an steel frame at work, one of the benefits of working as an cnc machinist.

no where near an electrician......but a 220 motor to run that slow......might be tough! I'm sure someone will have a suggestion on here tho. I'm totally out of ideas from that unless you install an electric stove , and use the 110 plug that is on them.....sorry , but that's all I have for thoughts!

good luck, later,jonathan

Back
Top Bottom