Horizontal PVC feeder height?

SoilMatesofGA

Chirping
Jun 29, 2020
Georgia
84A1D864-CFDD-4D8A-923F-E07A3B194FB4.jpeg

B5EDE013-E63C-4209-B9EB-BA9FAA57989B.jpeg

I’m in the final stages of building my first chicken tractor (complete novice). How high should my feeder be?
I haven’t glued or secured the PVC yet, so I can move it up or down easily. The top is about 8 inches from the ground now.
Question 2: Should I tilt the horizontal tube more so the holes are a little more on the side?
I don’t have any hens yet, so I don’t know their height. Is it better to wait until they are in their new home before setting the height? I’m planning on standard size layers, but don’t know what I’ll find available.
Thanks! Alex

Thanks! It is a sweeping 90, just a bad angle for the pic. I had to go double check because I bought a regular 90 at first and thought I might’ve put the wrong one on.
It doesn’t sweep as much as some I’ve seen out there, but is much better than a regular 90.

I dont know about the height question but, I do know, Not to glue any of the pieces together. You will need to remove it, separate it and wash and allow to dry each piece with soap and water at least monthly. Any old, moist or especially moldy feed will kill your chickens.
I use the upright/vertical pvc feeders and have to clean them too. But, they are helpful.

I dont know about the height question but, I do know, Not to glue any of the pieces together. You will need to remove it, separate it and wash and allow to dry each piece with soap and water at least monthly. Any old, moist or especially moldy feed will kill your chickens.
I use the upright/vertical pvc feeders and have to clean them too. But, they are helpful.
Going to build my first feeder this weekend, and that's fantastic advice! (I love this site.)

View attachment 2246620
View attachment 2246621
I’m in the final stages of building my first chicken tractor (complete novice). How high should my feeder be?
I haven’t glued or secured the PVC yet, so I can move it up or down easily. The top is about 8 inches from the ground now.
Question 2: Should I tilt the horizontal tube more so the holes are a little more on the side?
I don’t have any hens yet, so I don’t know their height. Is it better to wait until they are in their new home before setting the height? I’m planning on standard size layers, but don’t know what I’ll find available.
Thanks! Alex
I'm a novice, too... so keep that in mind. I *think* you keep your holes as upward as you want your feed to stack. Too far horizontal and the feed will just spill out. Nice looking build BTW!

Thanks! I had read not to glue it, but didn’t realize I had to clean it monthly. I appreciate the tip!
I clean my monthly when I pressure wash out my coop, de bug with either a dust (diatomaceous earth) or spray everything down. Then I add new regular pine shavings to the floor and add Fine shavings to the nesting boxes. Preventative maintenance has been my friend as well as handling each bird daily and giving them a quick look over.
But then again, thats me.
Heck, I wash and dry the dog water and food bowl daily too!
I don't reuse a plate/bowl I use unless its washed. Lol

Back
Top Bottom