Horrible swollen thing coming out of my hen's mouth!

I've worked with a number of sick birds over the years and it is always sad to lose one or have to cull one. The best we can do is educate ourselves and try to prevent future problems. You were concerned and did what you could out of compassion for your bird. I'm sorry it didn't work out.

This happened to one of my hens today. I was shocked to see almost the exact same picture as shown above. I have been searching the internet off and on all day looking for what to do for her and was happy to finally find this old post. I did also consider the Benadryl, but didn't want to choke her. I wished I'd know about the baking soda and tried it earlier. I am hoping she makes it through the night and we can treat her in the morning.

Last edited:
Try benadryl capsule. Break open and sprinkle powder on lump. Also try break open cigarette and remove tobacco, then add a little water and take flat of spoon and work into thick juicy paste. Put just small amount on most swollen part. Should be thick enough to to stay on. Nicotine shrink blood vessel, and is natural antiseptic. Small amount only! Want only to shrink so bird can drink, not turn bird to addict! Lol joke; bad bite for small bird. Keep update.

Please don't use cigarettes on birds. There are so many toxins and chemicals in them that can really make a bird sick. Besides, to heal you want to increase blood flow to the area, not decrease.

It could be an abscess or a bug bite, but it is hard to tell from the picture. Keep the area clean. If you choose to use Benadryl (seems safe for birds but I have never used it or recommended it before) it has to be given orally if it is a pill.

If you feel comfortable, you could try to express the area a bit to see if you can get anything out of the swollen area. The problem with birds is that they don't really get a liquid puss, it is more solid, so you may not get anything. If there is an open wound, flushing it with sterile saline would not hurt.

My advice only for poison sting. I see lot of this in meat turkey. Stupid bird eat everything. Tobacco is bad when burned. I save many life with it when poison sting. This bird not need more swell next to airway. I respect opinion, but I disagree. I not think good idea squeeze, if poison sting, will force poison into bloods. If abcess, will force infected poison in bloods. If tobacco not work, probably abcess, need medicated. If snake, nothing work, bird die. Additional, I have seen strong baking soda burn bird before. You make call what you think work for bird.

Last edited:
If use tobacco, make sure use cigarette tobbaco, not chewing tobbaco. Chewing tobacco more nicotine. My oma: aka grandma in english: says if you are uncomfortable with tobacco, you can trying a dark tea leaf first. Caffeine and the flavenoids will do same thing. I don't know how get to paste for apply, though.

She was still alive this morning, but clearly struggling and not doing well. The swelling had worsened. We decided to end her suffering. I did ensure prior to killing her that it was not an easy fix like draining an abscess or something. I think if I'd have know more and caught it early maybe we could have saved her. Now I know for next time. Thanks everyone for your help.

Hi! I posted the original pictures of the Buff Orpington with the swollen thing in her mouth. Nothing I tried worked, I never did find out why it happened, and she died the next day. None of my other hens that I have had since then have had this happen to them. I'm sorry it happened to one of yours. I wish I at least knew what it was!

Hi! I posted the original pictures of the Buff Orpington with the swollen thing in her mouth. Nothing I tried worked, I never did find out why it happened, and she died the next day. None of my other hens that I have had since then have had this happen to them. I'm sorry it happened to one of yours. I wish I at least knew what it was!
I haven't seen this thread before now, but I think you may have been right about it being the inside of her throat so swollen that it came outside, and the hole may have been her trachea or airway. Benadryl liquid or a tablet dissolved in water would be the first thing I would try. I would have wondered if she had swallowed a bee or other insect. Thanks for updating your thread.

Back
Top Bottom