Horrible swollen thing coming out of my hen's mouth!

Minerva V

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 4, 2013
Texas
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Buff Orpington, about 6 months old, don't know how heavy - looks normal.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Standing still, not eating or drinking, looks unhappy, ruffled feathers, no sounds

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

Since this morning, so only one day so far.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

Well, the swollen thing is so swollen, it is dripping with fluid and some blood.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

I have no idea. She seemed totally fine yesterday, eating, running after other chickens, foraging, drinking, making happy sounds.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Plain water or water with cider vinegar, laying chicken feed, some veggie scraps

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

I haven't seen her poop today. Before today it looked okay.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Nothing. I have no idea what to do. I only started keeping chickens about 5 months ago.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I cannot afford a vet. There are no nearby vets that treat chickens anyway.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Wooden chicken coop. Hay bedding. Free range in daytime in our 1/3 acre backyard.

I'd make a paste of baking soda and hot water. Apply it to the entire swollen area. Then use a clean cloth soaked in hot water and hold it on the wound for about 5 minutes to see if you can gently expel the fluid. There could be some poisons from a spider bite or other poisonous critter. I believe you have those Brown Recluse spiders in TX and they put out some nasty wounds because of the cytotoxic (tissue destroying) poisons. She may get an appetite once the swelling goes down. Meanwhile, you may have to hydrate her with vitamins-electrolytes in water from a syringe. Don't let her get dehydrated. I sure hope it helps.

Last edited:
I agree with you Mike. I was thinking along the lines that she mightve swallowed a bee, maybe a small scorpion.
After Michael Apple's recommendations, and when she gets to the point that your hen is able to swallow without complications; I recommend that you give her 1/2cc children's benedryl only. Then wait 24 hours before redosing only if necessary. Do not overdose a chicken with children's benedryl.
(It almost looks like a throat prolapse)

Last edited:
I agree with you Mike. I was thinking along the lines that she mightve swallowed a bee, maybe a small scorpion.
After Michael Apple's recommendations, and when she gets to the point that your hen is able to swallow without complications; I recommend that you give her 1/2cc children's benedryl only. Then wait 24 hours before redosing only if necessary. Do not overdose a chicken with children's benedryl.
(It almost looks like a throat prolapse)
Thank you for responding! I was also thinking that it looked like a prolapsed throat. If you look closely at the pictures, in one of them you can see a small dark hole. She is actually breathing through that hole! She is thirsty, but can't drink and I feel so bad for her. I can't believe she hasn't smothered yet. The color of the protruding tissue is even darker reddish purple now. I am very afraid that if I insert anything into that tiny hole I will drown or choke or smother her. It's really gross and painful looking. The other person I called today who used to have chickens suggested that perhaps it was a poisonous insect as well. Maybe a wasp, since I always see those around? The fact that it seemed to come on so quickly also seemed to suggest something like a sting or bite of some kind. I have some antibiotic powder for animals that I bought for the chickens, but have no idea if it would help, how to administer it to her, or how to figure out what the dose would be. It's late here now, so I guess she will either look better in the morning or have gone to chicken heaven. I don't know how she can last very long with that horrible thing keeping her from eating or drinking. Thanks again for you helpful suggestions.

Michael & dawg53, thank you both so much for responding! Yes, it might be a sting or a bite of some kind. I really hope she looks better in the morning. Either way, I will let you know. Have either of you ever seen anything like that before? I actually thought for a minute that she was holding a newly hatched wild bird chick in her mouth and was trying to eat it! It took me awhile to realize that was her own throat tissue bulging out. She is my most friendly chicken. I sure hope she recovers. I have already lost one other chicken due to some mystery ailment about a month ago. I only have four chickens. I am not getting a good grade in chicken keeping so far :(

Last edited:
If you can get the swelling down a bit, that hole you say keeps losing fluid when the bird drinks could be closed with some liquid bandage. Take a look around the areas where birds frequently go. Look for protruding wires, hornet nests in the ground, or dark areas where more nasty spiders may be inhabiting. Maybe a premise spray insecticide every so often will help.

Thanks again for the suggestions, everyone. My little chicken was dead this morning, so at least she is not suffering anymore. I just wish I knew what it was that happened to her so I could perhaps prevent it from happening to my other chickens.

Thanks again for the suggestions, everyone. My little chicken was dead this morning, so at least she is not suffering anymore. I just wish I knew what it was that happened to her so I could perhaps prevent it from happening to my other chickens.
I was just getting ready to post a link for you, I''ll post it for you just in case this happens again. I'm so sorry for your loss and I wish you the best.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bee-stings/DS01067/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

Back
Top Bottom