Horrible swollen thing coming out of my hen's mouth!

I know this is an old post, but too confirm it is the throat/sinus happened too one of my chickens earlier when helping drain a sour crop.
She coughed it up.
You should be able too unhook it from the beak and it will go back inside the head

I know this is an old post, but too confirm it is the throat/sinus happened too one of my chickens earlier when helping drain a sour crop.
She coughed it up.
You should be able too unhook it from the beak and it will go back inside the head
Hello! My chicken is going through this now. Are you saying to just be the lump and it should go back into the mouth?

Can you post a picture of your chicken? Do you have any idea what has happened?
I really think it’s a respiratory infection that got really inflamed and caused this mass to pop out. My chicken has no beak. He lost it when he was about 3 weeks old from a skunk attack. The person that owned him gave him to me a few days ago (he’s now 10 weeks old). The vet checked him out today and gave me meds to hopefully help the infection and swelling and pain. The vet says because he’s still acting like he has a will to live then we are going to give it a shot. It looks “worse” because he has no beak…

Attachments

• 5FA920EF-412D-4AC4-B4D3-D103DE1FDE60.jpeg
    5FA920EF-412D-4AC4-B4D3-D103DE1FDE60.jpeg
    334.7 KB · Views: 36
Does the vet know what the mass is? How are you feeding him? I would think you would need to tube feed him until he learns how to eat. Is he eating and drinking? There was a chicken a few years ago who lost her whole beak to a dog bite injury, and she had to be tube fed until she figured out how to eat. But the mass is something I don’t know about. I would put him down if he seems to be suffering or has no hope of surviving. Here is the long thread about the hen with no beak who survived:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/plese-help-chickens-beak-got-bit-off.848424/

I really think it’s a respiratory infection that got really inflamed and caused this mass to pop out. My chicken has no beak. He lost it when he was about 3 weeks old from a skunk attack. The person that owned him gave him to me a few days ago (he’s now 10 weeks old). The vet checked him out today and gave me meds to hopefully help the infection and swelling and pain. The vet says because he’s still acting like he has a will to live then we are going to give it a shot. It looks “worse” because he has no beak…
Poor guy:(

Did the vet make any recommendations how to keep him hydrated and fed?
I don't know what the protrusion is from inside the beak, doubtful it has anything to do with respiratory disease, but it may be from the skunk attack.
I would consider putting him out of his misery.

Poor guy:(

Did the vet make any recommendations how to keep him hydrated and fed?
I don't know what the protrusion is from inside the beak, doubtful it has anything to do with respiratory disease, but it may be from the skunk attack.
I would consider putting him out of his misery.
The skunk attack happened when he was 3 weeks old and he’s now 10 weeks old. I’ve been tube feeding him to make sure he stays hydrated and fed ❤️. I actually think I found what it is… it was in another thread here. Mucoceles. It’s a saliva gland that got inflamed/damaged. Scroll down on this post until you see this section. Looks just like it. https://bitchinchickens.com/2021/11/15/avian-pathology-cases-3/
I messaged my vet and I hope she gets back to me in the morning. Im wondering if she can do surgery to remove the damaged saliva gland like they do in dogs and humans for this. I hope he can make it long enough for us to try something. If this is prolonged with no improvement then we will have him euthanize to end his suffering. But he’s a fighter, I want to give him a chance ❤️

The skunk attack happened when he was 3 weeks old and he’s now 10 weeks old. I’ve been tube feeding him to make sure he stays hydrated and fed ❤️. I actually think I found what it is… it was in another thread here. Mucoceles. It’s a saliva gland that got inflamed/damaged. Scroll down on this post until you see this section. Looks just like it. https://bitchinchickens.com/2021/11/15/avian-pathology-cases-3/
I messaged my vet and I hope she gets back to me in the morning. Im wondering if she can do surgery to remove the damaged saliva gland like they do in dogs and humans for this. I hope he can make it long enough for us to try something. If this is prolonged with no improvement then we will have him euthanize to end his suffering. But he’s a fighter, I want to give him a chance ❤️
I hope your vet is able to help him.

Keep us posted.

Has anyone with this suspected swollen/prolapsed trachea had their chicken survive or does it keep recurring ? Currently have a chicken presenting like this. She started yesterday with a few sneezes then escalated very quickly

Back
Top Bottom