Horrific Raccoon Encounter!

WARNING: Pictures in this post might be considered graphic to some people.

Hello everyone! :frow Last night was my first real predator encounter! 😳 Raccoons!

I am adopting two new kittens. (Foster to adopt). Last night we were celebrating their names and that we were going to adopt them. It was fun! 😀 We had cake and everything! 🥳 It was about 8:00 PM and it had just turned completely dark. The night before, we had seen one raccoon in the chicken run eating chicken feed at around 10:00 PM. I decided it would be best to shut the chickens in earlier than usual so there was no chance that my sweet little babies could get hurt. My friend decided to come out with me to shut them in.

I stepped out on the porch with my flashlight. We were all joking and laughing about "What if there is a raccoon in there right now?! Hahaha!" and things like that. I set my flashlight to the small/far setting and started scanning the chicken area, half jokingly. Suddenly my 'spotlight' saw something strange... glowing eyes??? I focused my flashlight back on that little area...... A RACCOON WAS IN THE RUN STARING AT ME. "Raccoon!" Was the first thing I yelled. I turned around and ran down to my basement to grab the gun! And as I was running away from the group, I heard someone say "Look! I see two....no, three!"

About 1 minute later, I was out at the coop...shooting the first raccoon which was stuck in the run. After that one was dead, I started looking for the next one. It was climbing the tree a few feet behind the chicken area. Someone said they saw 4 raccoons in all, but so far we are positive there are at least three. After about 10 minutes I had a kill shot and - BANG! A raccoon came tumbling out of the tree! 😯 About 20 minutes later raccoon #3 was on the ground...but not completely dead. Raccoon #4 was no where to be seen. (If there was a raccoon #4.) We think it was still up in the tree.

I went inside to recover from the shock for about 30 minutes, then went back out to make sure everything was okay. Raccoon #3 was gone! 😲🤔 I MADE SURE the other two were dead, then came inside for the night.

Tomorrow (which is today), I came back out and "took care" of the raccoons. I searched for the other raccoon but couldn't find it.

The worst part of last night was there were raccoons in the run with the coop doors open!!!

In the run where it died:
View attachment 2341838
After raccoon #1 was taken out of the run and laid on the grass:
View attachment 2341840
Look at those paws!

View attachment 2341841
Raccoon #2:
View attachment 2341844
Both:
View attachment 2341857

- Clucky
Glad you got there in time! Surviving racoons will be back, and they will bring their friends. Stay vigilant, and good luck!

WARNING: Pictures in this post might be considered graphic to some people.

Hello everyone! :frow Last night was my first real predator encounter! 😳 Raccoons!

I am adopting two new kittens. (Foster to adopt). Last night we were celebrating their names and that we were going to adopt them. It was fun! 😀 We had cake and everything! 🥳 It was about 8:00 PM and it had just turned completely dark. The night before, we had seen one raccoon in the chicken run eating chicken feed at around 10:00 PM. I decided it would be best to shut the chickens in earlier than usual so there was no chance that my sweet little babies could get hurt. My friend decided to come out with me to shut them in.

I stepped out on the porch with my flashlight. We were all joking and laughing about "What if there is a raccoon in there right now?! Hahaha!" and things like that. I set my flashlight to the small/far setting and started scanning the chicken area, half jokingly. Suddenly my 'spotlight' saw something strange... glowing eyes??? I focused my flashlight back on that little area...... A RACCOON WAS IN THE RUN STARING AT ME. "Raccoon!" Was the first thing I yelled. I turned around and ran down to my basement to grab the gun! And as I was running away from the group, I heard someone say "Look! I see two....no, three!"

About 1 minute later, I was out at the coop...shooting the first raccoon which was stuck in the run. After that one was dead, I started looking for the next one. It was climbing the tree a few feet behind the chicken area. Someone said they saw 4 raccoons in all, but so far we are positive there are at least three. After about 10 minutes I had a kill shot and - BANG! A raccoon came tumbling out of the tree! 😯 About 20 minutes later raccoon #3 was on the ground...but not completely dead. Raccoon #4 was no where to be seen. (If there was a raccoon #4.) We think it was still up in the tree.

I went inside to recover from the shock for about 30 minutes, then went back out to make sure everything was okay. Raccoon #3 was gone! 😲🤔 I MADE SURE the other two were dead, then came inside for the night.

Tomorrow (which is today), I came back out and "took care" of the raccoons. I searched for the other raccoon but couldn't find it.

The worst part of last night was there were raccoons in the run with the coop doors open!!!

In the run where it died:
View attachment 2341838
After raccoon #1 was taken out of the run and laid on the grass:
View attachment 2341840
Look at those paws!

View attachment 2341841
Raccoon #2:
View attachment 2341844
Both:
View attachment 2341857

- Clucky
coons can clean a whole coop out, especially if they team up, there clever but vicious killers of chickens, usually they work in teams 3-5, and they will keep coming back till theres nothing left, best protection always is keeping them out of your coop, there clever too, they will attack at very late hours of the nite, when the coast is clear, make sure your coop top is covered, and the latch on your coop door is a lockable one, not something that just slides thru, coons can open easy latches too. Shooting them is good to, but believe me they will be back this time when your sleeping.

That looked like it might have been a grown female with her mostly grown litter out feeding. If she was showing the kids the coop she has been coming there for a long time. Truthfully I'd get a live trap or two and set them up. I'm willing to bet you catch a few more coons and even possums you never knew about.
Be careful with the pellet gun. I've seen coons take a .22, fall 20 feet out a tree, fight off a coon hound, and climb back up the tree.

Never had coon, but I've heard it's delicious if prepared property :confused:

Really good if cooked right, really really bad if cooked wrong.

Best is to soak it in salt water over night to remove the gamy flavor. Then slow roast it. I normally do it on my smoker 200 to 250 degrees for 4 to 6 hours depending on size. The meat starts falling off the bone it's ready.

Back
Top Bottom