Horrified!

secretquail

Songster
9 Years
Apr 11, 2010
Chapel Hill
A black rat snake ate my quail!!!! but that's not it, snake found his way INTO my house and up onto my table where I had 2 bins with 1 month old quail. There were 2 bins, and snake went into the one bin and killed 4 quail then started eating them! One in the belly, one 1/2 way in, and the 2 others were leftovers. I am horrified, yet impressed that nature was able to hunt my quail from outside the house. ...and I don't live in a yurt!
somad.gif

dang! we relocated a copper head 3ft long yesterday. Didn't realize it was a copper head until we looked at the pics, as it was getting dark outside. But it is very dry here and it was near a watering place. So, it was a cooperative dude and didn't even strike at us. It is now 5 miles away living in the woods...

How awful!
sad.png
My quail are outdoors and I have dispatched snakes, to include copperheads, that have been caught in the act of trying to eat birds and eggs. I'm glad that it didn't get into the other bin!

A snake got a pair of buttons yesterday. I know how you feel!
sad.png
Those monsters are really monsters!!! I swear the snakes open the cages too because the cage bars are tiny.......

Quote:
I am very sorry about this, but more-so than anything.....you just gave me a reason to not have a good night's sleep.........and I KNOW you're not gonna have one
sad.png

All due respect to you folks that are "dispatching" copperheads.............aaaahhhhh, they just don't really have a fruitfull life once we meet.

Last edited:
I hate killing black snakes I normally relocate them about 100-200 yards from where I live but the stupid snake was to big to get his tail to go through and after he ate one of my quail he could not get his head out he killed 3 birds before he could find one to eat and the rooster he bit / pecked on the head had not crowed until that, I took what I use to prune trees and pruned it into a coupla different pieces .

Quote:
I disagree about them being monsters.They are just hungry, snakes don't have any ill intent, they're very dumb but have enough brain to know food when they find it. I fed my two dead quail to a pet ball python. I'm not eating them, and at least that way their deaths benefit someone.

I am sorry about everyones quail however. I have kids so I'm all for removal, or death in the case of immediate danger. But the snakes are just being snakes. My cats somehow got to the one fav quail I had, and I was furious but... Cats do those things, cruel as it is...
sad.png
at least the snakes are feeding themselves, not just maiming for their own amusement

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom