Horrified!

We have a "pet" wild black snake lives in our backyard. Caught him one time under the quail pens, trying to get in. I like having him around--helps with rodent control in the feed room. Most of our pens are snake-proofed, but the flight pen is not. I figure if he gets in there and eats one or two, it's a small salary for the rodent control services he offers. I have small children too, but he's not going to hurt them--in fact, I think it's healthy for the children to know how helpful a good snake can be on the farm.

I *would* be irritated, though, if he killed several and only ate one or two. That's wasteful, and I don't like that in any kind of creature. AND I'd be pretty upset if he found his way into my house and ate babies out of the bins--that stinks. I'd probably re-locate that one.

Sorry for your loss. That really stinks.

I just wanted to say that I like the above comment.
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Snakes are a valuable part of our ecosystem and they mostly do good work.

I Beleive That Snakes Are A Valuable Part Of Our Ecosystem Too.... But As For That Copperhead, Sorry I'm With Randall On That 1. I See No Earthly Reason For Venomous Snakes Around My Farm, And I Too Use Shotguns For Predator Control... As Far As Blacksnakes, Or Other Non Venomous Speces... I Am All For Live And Let Live So Long As It Doesnt Cross The Predator Line We Can Co-exist Peacefully.

I live out in the woods and our property is literally crawling with snakes, both poisonous and not. As a result, I have yet to see a rat or mouse since I moved here. My philosophy is anything that leaves me and mine alone gets the same treatment in return. However anything, be it snake, bobcat, possum, coon, coyote, etc., that kills gets no mercy from me. I wouldn't be a good caretaker if I let them wreak havoc within my flocks.

I know this thread can quickly invite some opinions that would cause ill fealings about harming Mother Nature's little critters............But, I live in the country also, and we are "supplied" with timber rattlers, copperheads, and cottonmouths moreso than I care to be comfortable with. I have a 9 and 11 year old son that are always rambling in the woods around the house, and a 3 year old daughter that has this old man's heart wrapped around her little hands, and loves to venture outdoors. We kill snakes regularly, and yeah......I know that "animal rights" bunch has a problem with that......and probably some on this site, as well.......BUT, we've had some close calls here, and I have ZERO tolerance with a venomous critter that knows no better than to defend himself by doing what Mother Nature has programmed him to do when my kids chase a ball into any "growth" that they don't realize hides harm. I call it "Damage Control"...... Some will call it other, I'm sure.

Secretquail, I hope you don't have any more problems with snakes.
smile.png

Sure wish I could get a "good snake" on my farm! The feral cats that I feed a little arent doing the job they are supposed to do and I had to get poison again this year after seeing a really BIG rat! I definitely prefer a snake to rodents any day! Terri O

We didn't kill the snake. My dh drove it, and his leftovers, a few miles away. More than disturbing me, it amazed me. That dude hunted the babies from outside! That is determination. Anything with that commitment should be spared:) Usually, I say if it is in my house, I'm gonna kill it, and if I am in their house (outside) they have every right to try to get me. Mostly that is my philosophy for bugs, never had to put it to a snake:p

Be careful, the snakes come back where they feel there is a source of food. I tried to kill a rat snake so it had a slash on its side. I released it 15 miles away from the house. A month later it swallowed more of my birds...and had a scar on its side!!! Dun dun dun I know it's the same one!!!

Back
Top Bottom