horse breeding suggestions needed - taller mare

RyRy2

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 1, 2011
Canastota, NY
ok, so we've decided to try and get a foal out of my Arab stallion, he is a very good boy and has thrown some nice babies in the past unfortunately I don't have any of them.. he is getting up in years and I would really like a foal (future trail horse). I have a breeding lease with a very nice paint mare. the problem is that she is a good 2 -3 inches taller than Jem and he is having trouble "getting the job done" we've tried putting her downhill and btwn her height and her big old quarterhorse butt he is just having a hard time connecting.. after one or two attempts she starts getting frustrated and moving side to side which makes it that much more difficult for him.. Other than AI (which we are considering) does anyone have any suggestions? I thought about digging a ditch and putting her in it, but wasn't sure if that would work or not..

A heap of dirt for him to stand on will get the job done. Just pile up sand or dirt to 2 feet & let him at it
tongue.png

A dirt pile, packed down a little would really help. If that's still not enough a creek, with a slight drop into the water might work. We use to have to stand the mare in the creek and back her up to the embankment for the one tiny Arab stud. And well when they were done landing in the creek was a little better then the tiny guy rolling down the hill again.

A ditch works well. Some friends used that for a Dexter bull to cover a Jersey cow.

I once saw a foal I was told was a Arab stallion over a Belgian mare. We always wondered how much alcohol went into helping that stallion climb up there!

thanks for the ideas.. I think I found a nice little drop off (almost 14 inches worth) in my other pasture that might work out well, and I'm going to go ahead and buy the basic supplies to AI her just in case... crossing my fingers and praying this works.. if not then I'll not it just isn't meant to be.. this is his last chance, at almost 15.1 hands Jem isn't a small stallion by any means, she just happens to be a bit bigger, lol.. he has sucessfully handled larger mares in the past, but that was a few years ago, so I really think it is just a combo of her size and his age that is causing the problems.. We'll see.. he had such trouble with her and got so frustrated, that I am going to go ahead and let him breed my 14.2 hand arab mare for a "confidence boost", she has fertility problems (maybe from malnurishment before I got her?, don't know), but she stands beautifully to be bred and he LOVES her, so I figure why not give him a little encouragement. lol.. Anyway, thanks again for the ideas. I'll let you know if we get her bred.

Back
Top Bottom