Horse club

Do you normally give Chocolate baths, or was this the first time? It sounds like he might have had bad experiences with baths in the past, like he might have had water go into his ears or eyes, and be anxious about it happening again. It's also possible that the hissing sound of water going through the hose might have scared him as it got closer to his ears and louder.

Unfortunately, by turning him into the paddock after this incident, you gave him a reward for misbehaving! Now he believes that rearing up will result in what he wants, ending the horrible bath and getting to be let go in his paddock.

You need to retrain him that baths are a normal part of his work, nothing to be afraid of, and if he behaves politely for a bath, he will enjoy some rewards.
Does he normally stand tied for grooming? Tie him, groom him, run water gently over his front legs and shoulders, give him a treat and let him go. Make sure the water is not too hot or cold, as well.
Every day, do the same, but increase where you squirt the water, little by little. Don't use the hose above his neck, clean his mane and face with a wet sponge, and never let water run into his ears or eyes. Any time he stands calmly for a new place on his body that gets a bath, give him a treat, and any time he seems anxious, reduce the water so it just dribbles out instead of making a hissing sound, and give him a treat. Make sure there's nothing about the bath that seems scary, or any more uncomfortable than standing for normal grooming.

If he rears up, go ahead and take him away from the bath, but make him do hard work at something else, like backing up quickly for a long distance. Don't yell or act alarmed, just stay calm, because this isn't to punish him, just to teach him that choosing to do something else besides having a bath is harder work than standing still for a gentle, non-scary bath. Let him stand and think about it for no more than 5 seconds, then gently lead him back to the bath.

I bet if you keep this up for a week or maybe less, he will be good about getting his bath, as long as you never get water in his eyes or ears, and keep the water running out gently and not hissing. Good luck! Chocolate sounds like such a cutie.

Do you normally give Chocolate baths, or was this the first time? It sounds like he might have had bad experiences with baths in the past, like he might have had water go into his ears or eyes, and be anxious about it happening again. It's also possible that the hissing sound of water going through the hose might have scared him as it got closer to his ears and louder.

Unfortunately, by turning him into the paddock after this incident, you gave him a reward for misbehaving! Now he believes that rearing up will result in what he wants, ending the horrible bath and getting to be let go in his paddock.

You need to retrain him that baths are a normal part of his work, nothing to be afraid of, and if he behaves politely for a bath, he will enjoy some rewards.
Does he normally stand tied for grooming? Tie him, groom him, run water gently over his front legs and shoulders, give him a treat and let him go. Make sure the water is not too hot or cold, as well.
Every day, do the same, but increase where you squirt the water, little by little. Don't use the hose above his neck, clean his mane and face with a wet sponge, and never let water run into his ears or eyes. Any time he stands calmly for a new place on his body that gets a bath, give him a treat, and any time he seems anxious, reduce the water so it just dribbles out instead of making a hissing sound, and give him a treat. Make sure there's nothing about the bath that seems scary, or any more uncomfortable than standing for normal grooming.

If he rears up, go ahead and take him away from the bath, but make him do hard work at something else, like backing up quickly for a long distance. Don't yell or act alarmed, just stay calm, because this isn't to punish him, just to teach him that choosing to do something else besides having a bath is harder work than standing still for a gentle, non-scary bath. Let him stand and think about it for no more than 5 seconds, then gently lead him back to the bath.

I bet if you keep this up for a week or maybe less, he will be good about getting his bath, as long as you never get water in his eyes or ears, and keep the water running out gently and not hissing. Good luck! Chocolate sounds like such a cutie.
Thank you I will try this.
He normally loves to be groomed 🙂

Hey all! Man I haven't posted here in a while.

I wanted to ask around to you equestrians who ride western: does anyone have any good tips on how to introduce/teach neck reining?

I am currently helping train a mare my trainer got recently and although she's learning to just be an all around lesson horse, I ride her western and I would like to teach her neck reining. The only thing is, I don't really know how, and I haven't really gotten into it yet since I don't think Ginger is quite ready. She is still gaining muscle and learning leg and bending and I think I could start introducing it to her, but I won't really mess with it (since it really isn't necessary) until a little later.

Thanks!

I know nothing at all about riding Western, except that riding is riding. Use your seat and weight to encourage her to turn, and when she does, lay the reins on her outside neck immediately and praise her.
That's all I got, LOL!
I'm sure experienced Western riders have way better tips. But any kind of training is making it easy for them to do the thing you want, and as soon as they do, giving the reward and the cue you want them to learn, instantaneously.

I know nothing at all about riding Western, except that riding is riding. Use your seat and weight to encourage her to turn, and when she does, lay the reins on her outside neck immediately and praise her.
That's all I got, LOL!
I'm sure experienced Western riders have way better tips. But any kind of training is making it easy for them to do the thing you want, and as soon as they do, giving the reward and the cue you want them to learn, instantaneously.
Thanks for the help!

lol I've never just used my seat like the method you mentioned; what I've tried before is just laying the rein on the neck while doing some bending exercises to get her used to the feel. I'll have to try that out sometime!

And yes! I always praise her and encourage her when she does what I want. :)

No matter what discipline you do, or what "style" of riding, whether Western, jumping, trail riding or dressage, using your seat and your weight and your sight (looking up and in the direction you want to go) are universal to all horsemanship. Keep your self balanced over the horse and look ahead to where you want to go, and your horse will keep herself balanced under you. All the other cues, lower legs and heels, contact with the reins including neck reining, jumping or dressage position, are fine-tuning that need to come after that basic balance you have with your horse.

Ginger is so beautiful, and you are obviously a thoughtful type of rider who learns more from every ride, as well as a kind rider who values how Ginger learns.

No matter what discipline you do, or what "style" of riding, whether Western, jumping, trail riding or dressage, using your seat and your weight and your sight (looking up and in the direction you want to go) are universal to all horsemanship. Keep your self balanced over the horse and look ahead to where you want to go, and your horse will keep herself balanced under you. All the other cues, lower legs and heels, contact with the reins including neck reining, jumping or dressage position, are fine-tuning that need to come after that basic balance you have with your horse.

Ginger is so beautiful, and you are obviously a thoughtful type of rider who learns more from every ride, as well as a kind rider who values how Ginger learns.
Thank you so much! :) I try my best to learn and do what is best for Ginger too, lol.

I agree; I've been working on those things when teaching Ginger and after a few months, I can definitely feel her starting to respond to both my seat and line of sight. I haven't always been perfect with this but I think Ginger is teaching me as much as I've been teaching her. :lol: I've been taking her on bareback walks before her lesson on Wednesdays and even though we're just walking, I use that time to try to focus on my balance and not rely on the saddle all the time.

I rode my OTTB Fiona last week for the first time since Covid!

For many reasons, but mostly because my work schedule has been crazy and unpredictable for the past year, due to others needing to work from home, plus I've tried to only be at the barn when nobody or few people are there, because I would be devastated if I accidentally infected someone - some of the horses in our barn are part of a therapy program and most of their riders have health issues that would make contracting covid life-threatening to them.

So I got my 2nd vaccination on Monday, and I know I'm supposed to wait two weeks before being around non-household-members, but I just couldn't help it, I immediately went to the barn and tacked up my horse! She was pretty happy to finally be ridden, and just wanted to go, Go, GO! Like, any little leg pressure she chose to interpret as, "time to gallop!" And if I tried to contain her, she would throw her head around and protest.

My problem is that I've lost so much fitness, I can't depend on my seat and legs to steady her. My left leg still feels somewhat solid, but my right leg is like a noodle, all over the place. And Fiona's the type of horse who takes her cues from seat and legs - if I pull on the reins it just starts a fight.

I rode her two more times this week, and we've improved a bit - she still speeds around and tosses her head if I get too strong with the reins, but we did achieve some decent moments of bending at the trot, and some obedient but not very pretty trot/canter/trot transitions.

So, I signed up for a lesson next Friday, which I'm scared about! Our new instructor is really nice and I've heard good things from her students, but geez, I'm so unfit, a half hour of easy WTC today had me sweating like a racehorse. I'm afraid a 45-min lesson might kill me!

I told a friend at the barn, and she said, "oh too bad, we'll be there too late to see your lesson." I told her," You'll be there in time to see a puddle in the middle of the arena, which will be me."

I'm just so happy to be riding again, I don't care how bad I stink.

My old guy (Komet, age 27) had a workout today too - I longed him in the arena and he wanted to GO! GO! as well - it was so wonderful to see him going sound, after a round of Adequan. We have a couple "chill-out" pastures, where we can put our horses after a bath, workout or whatever, where there are big stumps to sit on and hang out while our horses graze and/or run around - Komet had a lot of fun there, grazing, cantering through the only muddy place and getting dirty.

With him going sound and feeling so good, I'm hoping longing him a few times a week including with side reins at times, he can increase his back muscles and I'll ride him in a while.

TLDR:
Finally riding and working my horses again, having a ton of fun and making plans!

Hey everyone! I haven't seen this thread in a while. How has everyone and their horses been? :)

Ginger and I survived our first week of camp this week! :lol: My sister and I are running our barn's summer camps as the councilors this year, and this week was the first of seven I believe. We had 6 kids this week and around that number, maybe 1 or 2 more, next week unless we get some surprises lol.

This year is Ginger's first year of camp at our barn, and so far she's been great! I have to watch her like a hawk, though, because she can be moody (she's developed a big personality, and mostly has become a typical red mare 😅 ) so I make sure I or my sister saddles her since she's girthy and will bite, and I monitor what the kids do as well. Other than being a brat on the ground at times, the kids sure seem to love to ride her, so I'm glad! I give lessons in a separate ring to our beginner little kids so I haven't seen or helped the kids ride Ginger but apparently she has been going good for them. I really hope, and probably will, get a chance to see her in action one day lol. I like to see how she acts or be told what issues she has with the kids or other lesson takers to see if I need to work on anything.
It mostly seems like since she's still in training, the kids can sometimes have a bit of a tough time getting her to do some things, but nothing major that I need to work on other than continuing basics. And hey, at least she'll teach them to ride, heh.

With more training, I think Ginger can make an awesome lesson horse--she already is doing so well. It's pretty amazing to see how far she's come, I couldn't be prouder of her. 🥰

Hopefully everyone else's summer is going well too!

Hey everyone, Merry Christmas!
AC3B8AD8-9D01-4038-9F9E-F2EE8FABDB68.jpeg
2D976A25-E5A6-4F79-A9C8-22D57965D348.jpeg

Here is my horse Ringo (first pic) and his friend Paige (second pic) having fun in the first snowfall.

Back
Top Bottom