horse experts..what breed?

I don't think she's gaited. She's clearly trotting in those pictures. While gaited horses can trot, they only do so infrequently and not as comfortably as a lateral gait.

The mealy muzzle isn't uncommon in a buncha British pony breeds so I would not place too much reliance on conclusions drawn simply from the coat (and muzzle) color.

I'm not super familiar with most of the native British breeds having only seen a limited number of them in person but to me that does not look Dartmoor/Exmoor-ish, I would say New Forest or (quite likely) a cross of <whatever>.

Very very cute though
smile.png

Pat

The most likely breed, is whatever breeds that are commonest in that area of England.

The mealy muzzle is common in dozens of breeds of horses and ponies, I have had a Thoroughbred and a Dutch Warmblood with the same markings. I would not go by the color. And in fact Exmoors are usually much more distinctively marked than this one.

With the blanket on, the conformation and even the proportions are hard to see.

I think that depending on the region, there are usually a lot of various grade(unregistered, crossbred) ponies in England, various crosses of Welsh and native breeds.

I think all of the native pony breeds are fairly well represented al across England, either as purebreds or in crosses, but a native person can give a better idea of that.

It's a beautiful little pony, no matter what breed it is.

Last edited:
I have a friend that has a 3/4 halflinger, 1/4 QH or other breed...
And you would swear up one side and down the other she was a Dartmoor.

She does look a little narrow to be a Dartmoor. And there are very few purebred New Forest ponies right now, there was an article about how they are trying to remove the feral crossbreds now.
Most being sold to zoo's as meat for big cats.

Any way.. My first thought was a hackney cross. A hackney would not have a high step right off the bat..
SHe could also be a welsh or conamara cross.
Just my thoughts.. being a Yank and all. LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom