Horse feed/laying feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by krzybo, May 31, 2010.

1. krzybo

krzybo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2009
    Danielsville, GA
    Someone that raises chickens just told me that horse feed has the same things in it as laying feed and that is what he feeds his laying hens. Anyone ever heard of this?

2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I' know what's in my horse feed and outside of corn and oats, it's not the same as what's in the laying pellets that I buy

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I think the person that told you that don't know what they are talking about....
    There not the same. Horse feed for the most part is lower in; protein, Lysine, Methionine, and Calcium and is too high in fat.

Chris

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    If your horse feed has the same as your chicken feed you have really bad horse feed that I wouldn't give to anything I want living to old age. Grain is actually really bad for horses and we do not give ours any. We use boss and beet pulp when they need supplemented with something. When we did use grain we used straight oats to balance our alfalfa hay and never more than 1 scoop which I believe was 2lbs. Chicken feeds have all sorts of cheap grains, grain by products, and it should contain some type of animal protein. Chickens are omnivores while horses are grazing herbivores. Chickens need lots of protein, lots of calcium, do ok with carbs, and minimal fiber. Horses need mostly fiber, low protein, minimal carbs, and no animal protein.

5. krzybo

krzybo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2009
    Danielsville, GA
    I didn't think that made sense. I sure won't buy any chickens from the guy that told me that.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by