Horse feed/laying feed

krzybo

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Danielsville, GA
Someone that raises chickens just told me that horse feed has the same things in it as laying feed and that is what he feeds his laying hens. Anyone ever heard of this?

I' know what's in my horse feed and outside of corn and oats, it's not the same as what's in the laying pellets that I buy

I think the person that told you that don't know what they are talking about....
There not the same. Horse feed for the most part is lower in; protein, Lysine, Methionine, and Calcium and is too high in fat.

Chris

If your horse feed has the same as your chicken feed you have really bad horse feed that I wouldn't give to anything I want living to old age. Grain is actually really bad for horses and we do not give ours any. We use boss and beet pulp when they need supplemented with something. When we did use grain we used straight oats to balance our alfalfa hay and never more than 1 scoop which I believe was 2lbs. Chicken feeds have all sorts of cheap grains, grain by products, and it should contain some type of animal protein. Chickens are omnivores while horses are grazing herbivores. Chickens need lots of protein, lots of calcium, do ok with carbs, and minimal fiber. Horses need mostly fiber, low protein, minimal carbs, and no animal protein.

I didn't think that made sense. I sure won't buy any chickens from the guy that told me that.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom