Horse hoof and chickens

Ponyiqandhens2

Songster
Nov 5, 2022
South Louisiana
Hi all, as a lifelong horse and dog owner ( goat & cows too,) dogs love to see the farrier coming..well I have learned over time that the chickens do too..I thought it was mostly hens until today..I realized that the little qp day to 4 week chicks were also scurrying about getting trimmed hoof and filings..I assume it's fairly normal none of the ones that have been doing it are bothered by it

Hi all, as a lifelong horse and dog owner ( goat & cows too,) dogs love to see the farrier coming..well I have learned over time that the chickens do too..I thought it was mostly hens until today..I realized that the little qp day to 4 week chicks were also scurrying about getting trimmed hoof and filings..I assume it's fairly normal none of the ones that have been doing it are bothered by it
Very normal!!!

The hoof trimmings are fine, don't worry.
As long as the horse doesn't have thrush infection, or a recent application of thrush medicine, or any hoof polishes / sealant. Chickens would probably survive those things but it's where the potential danger would be. Also making sure they don't get into any of the nails if the horse is shod, chickens do so love anything shiny.

The hoof trimmings are fine, don't worry.
As long as the horse doesn't have thrush infection, or a recent application of thrush medicine, or any hoof polishes / sealant. Chickens would probably survive those things but it's where the potential danger would be. Also making sure they don't get into any of the nails if the horse is shod, chickens do so love anything shiny.
My farrier runs a magnet as he finishes the shod horses, I hadnt considered that part. I actually figured there might be something they need in it.. I have actually seen them eating off the mineral blocks ( never the salt or sulphur just the red minersl..)

Hoof is very high in protien and quite digestible.

I give dried cow hooves to my American Staffordshire. It's the only treat I can giver her that lasts longer than 5 minutes. Her jaws are basically a woodchipper. Bully sticks, marrow bones, tendons all get devoured in very short time. But hooves last most of the day. She has a bit of a sensitive tummy and they cause no issues.

Hoof is very high in protien and quite digestible.

I give dried cow hooves to my American Staffordshire. It's the only treat I can giver her that lasts longer than 5 minutes. Her jaws are basically a woodchipper. Bully sticks, marrow bones, tendons all get devoured in very short time. But hooves last most of the day. She has a bit of a sensitive tummy and they cause no issues.
My pit mix LOVES the hooves. He loves marrow bones and bully sticks too but bully sticks get devoured too fast. Marrow bones last him a long time. Same with the hooves.

Back
Top Bottom