.Horse meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
A friend of my husbands dad drove a big truck for McDonalds. Most of the meat for your quarter-pounder comes from DDD cattle. Dead. Diseased. Dying.

Obviously, ALL cattle are dead before becoming burger, but I mean dead in the truck BEFORE slaughter.

That is exactly what I'm talking about. There is a lot of unsavory looking cattle that become human food. So just because the horse doesn't look appetizing doesn't mean you aren't getting the same quality beef for food. Not that I like to eat at McDonalds anyway...but those types of cattle end up in the grocery store as well.

Interesting topic. I'm one of those that has no issue with hunting deer, for example, and have even enjoyed venison, but couldn't bring myself to shoot Bambi except out of true necessity.

I agree with a lot of the other posts that is just regional differences. I was mortified when I heard they eat dog in Asia and I could NEVER do it myself. But that's because to me I'm picturing playing fetch with Fido in the back yard and then bringing him in the garage to butcher him, no way. I'm sure they are raised more in wild packs than as a tame house pet.

I just don't know. We've bred cows into domestically "dumb" animals that would barely be able to survive on their own and for the purpose of milk and meat, and yet we bred horses to be intelligent, reliable (and useful) companions just like we have with dogs. I guess that in my heart, and for myself, I feel that it is wrong because that's not what the animal was domesticated for. But I also feel that it is wrong to impose my morals on others. Who knows, maybe its delicious and if I were to try it I'd never look back. I know someone who was a vegetarian all their life until they ate veal for the first time, and she's quite the carnivore now.

Personally im a Vegetarian, and a HUGE! horse lover and cant imagine eating an animal.. just sayin. Im not dissing on anyone that eats meat or anything, thats just how i feel.
smile.png

Quote:
The Munira and Vistahermosa are the two most aggressive Spanish Fighting breeds. Very tenacious buggers but beautiful! I love to watch them. But I sure don't want to be in the ring or pasture with them!

I firmly believe that with all the cats and dogs that get put down every year if people would eat them I would have no problem with that either. Why waste.

The reason I find eating horses distasteful, (bad pun) is we ask them to trust us, serve us and labor under our guidence. We make
horses do things that are against their nature. Horses willing accept bits, saddles, confinement, riding around in trailers,
having a blacksmith work on them, and all kinds of exceptional odd things all based on them trusting our leadership. We in turn
feed, groom them and in general look after their welfare and shouldnt betray a trust by eating them. That said I'm against the anti-slaughter laws, because it hurts horses in the long run devaluing them. A close association with man is a good thing for all domestic animals, and having a good practical application, ie, meat,
eggs, riding etc. will keep domestic animals in existence, otherwise they just die out. For example when we all know about rare heritage breeds of chickens,
that are on the brink of extinction because we no longer need them. Proper husbandry and practical thinking is what works with livestock. A bit of trivia, that I think reflects that philosophy. Foxhunters in some hunt will feed the hounds an old horse that needs to be put down. Anyway with cows and pigs we have not asked anything of them, there is no deal or breaking of trust other than a responsibility to care and feed them until we sacrifice them for the dinner table and then they have our gratitude. There is
no refuge for angus or little new hampshire piggies. If we stop eating them they just disappear.

It is what it is, I mean, in some countries cows are sacred and here it's nothing to grab a big, juicy burger. Would I ever eat a horse? I may try it, but my horses will never end up on the table.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Well now let's................ your view could also be held for chickens as well........................

you say..............
The reason I find eating horses distasteful, (bad pun) is we ask them to trust us, serve us and labor under our guidence.

do some people ask the same of their chickens, to trust the human to feed water and look after their needs.

you say.............
serve us and labor under our guidence.
do we not expect our chickens to lay our eggs for food and hatching to continue to produce. we ask them dig in our gardens and fertilize them with their rich droppings, we ask of them to keep our bug and pest populations down by eating them,

you say..............
Horses willing accept bits, saddles, confinement, riding around in trailers,
having a blacksmith work on them,
and all kinds of exceptional odd things all based on them trusting our leadership. We make
horses do things that are against their nature.

Some people treat their chickens in the exact same manner... IE we make them except chicken blinders to keep pecking to a minimum, god know how many patterns of chicken saddles, aprons and diapers there are for chickens . we confine our chickens to cages when transporting, coops and run's and fencing. We perform medical maintenance on our chickens, trim spur's, dubb combs, perform crop and bumblefoot surgery on them, band and toe punch and wing band for IDing purposes.

you say.................
all kinds of exceptional odd things all based on them trusting our leadership. We make
horses do things that are against their nature.

we feed chickens so many odd things they would never eat given the choice, chickens in the wild don't eat Yogurt !!! or are kept against their will in severly un-natural surroundings such as the prisoner house chicken for the owners ammusement.

you say..................
We in turn
feed, groom them and in general look after their welfare and shouldnt betray a trust by eating them.

and yet our chickens are near the top of the human consumable food chain. and we continue to raise them for all of the above purposes.

So I agree that some do in fact treat chickens and many other animals in these deplorable ways,
you also said this.............
Proper husbandry and practical thinking is what works with livestock.
and I couldn't agree more, chickens are livestock first and foremost and should be respected and treated as such, with proper care and use.

I see there are a lot of people on this thread who have eaten horse meat and I appreciate your choice. But personally I wouldn’t even think of eating a horse meat. When I look at them just galloping and running wild, I wonder how beautifully nature has created horse. It’s like a wind runner born to only run. Its my opinion, but otherwise I don’t have any problem with those who do eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom