Horse people... Going to look at this guy today

Does he jump? Green horse and green rider can be a tough combination. In my opinion this horse is, among other things, green... tolerant, but green.

I wouldn't worry about the bloodlines way back. How is bred up close?

Ask to see the films. If they are digital, they can be emailed to any vet you choose, or burned on a disk. If they are regular plate radiographs, copies can be made at most hospitals (human). Depending on the purchase price, you can do as little or as much as you want to in a prepurchase exam. The American Association of Equine Practioners has some very good literature that you can order for a buck or so with guidelines in regard to prepurchase exams. I'd at least do flexion tests, a picture of the bad knee, and a tox screen if I was seriously considering this horse. (Don't forget there are 30 day tranquilizers available out there.)

My daughter showed hunters from the time she was six all the way through college, and I would not have bought this horse for her. He is, unfortunately, a give away horse in this economy.

I don't honestly see a whole lot of point in buying a horse that cannot at least DO 3' divisions in local unrated shows (maybe not winningly, but safely), especially if the plan is that this is her horse for the rest of her teenage years. Any ol' normal horse can jump 3', it is not exactly the Olympics
tongue.png
-- if he can't then he is unlikely to be BOTH competetive at lower levels AND sound enough to go for a reasonable number of years. (The only horses I have known that had genuine trouble with a 3' course were either seriously uncoordinated over lower fences too, or temperamentally difficult, or not sound and they knew that it *hurts* to land from higher fences).

Truthfully the horses that do best in little local unrated hunter shows are usually horses that do NOT move especially well, for whatever reason -- a smaller more restricted mover jostles the rider less and also encourages a slow and deliberate approach to courses, as opposed to 'bug on a hot skillet' -- and do not necessarily have great jumping style and may be sort of generally a bit stiff-n-sore in a variety of places, but are total Steady Eddies and will not get themselves in a flap about strange fences, strange showgrounds, rider stuffing them into the base of the jump every now and then, etc etc.

And I have known LOTS AND LOTS of TBs (including some with a lot of Nasrullah/Bold Ruler breeding) who have absolutely fit the above bill, and in some cases were nearly unbeatable at local shows.

If you are considering trying a trial lease period at the seller's barn, it might be smart to drop casually into conversation that when you have him vetted you would like to do a FULL vetting, including blood samples drawn. Sometimes (not always) this discourages a certain amount of shenanigans relating to Ace and other tranquilizers
hmm.png

I'd say that if a horse (any horse, again I have not been able to view this one's video clips so I'm just saying this in general) feels good and trustworthy to your daughter, it's worth having your trainer watch them together, and if both daughter and trainer are in favor, have him vetted. Don't get hung up on things you've read about bloodlines, or people playing armchair "judge horse for excellence of movement and classical form o/f", you are first and foremost looking for a horse that can SAFELY do THIS PARTICULAR JOB, which is not one that requires a supreme athlete
wink.png

(e.t.a. green is not *always* a terrible thing. A reasonable number of horses are unfussed and unfazed by lolloping over jumps even with little or no experience, and that kind is IMO okay to buy for a kid as long as she's riding under supervision (as your daughter is). Have the seller point the horse at a few fences for you, see what he thinks. If it goes well, have your daughter point him at a few (smaller) fences. That will tell you most of what you need to know. The biggest 2 things to avoid are a green horse who *speeds up* significantly when being jumped, or one who is not real honest (threatens to stop or run out). They require a more-experienced rider to develop the horse.)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Last edited:
he certainly moves better with your dd ridding. however he is green and needs work. at home are you or another adult going to be able to school him for your dd if he is having trouble thats a little beyond what your dd can handle? I also agree that he needs to learn to use his back end, get it underhimself and propel himself forward that way instead of dragging himself around with his front end.

I'm a couple of drinks behind everyone else. I still think there's something the matter with him. The video is so choppy (and the 2nd very blurry) I can't be sure of the soundness or unsoundness, but there is just the feeling his hips aren't having the same...excursion(ie, hock issues).

The first person rides the horse really slow and backed off, and like most stiff horses he looks better when he's going quicker (as with the DD) but I still thought he seemed off behind and in front. I also think he looks like he gets too quick and strong for her. That gets worse when you take a horse home, not better.

Quote:
Yes there is, once in the visible part of the pedigree (5th generation on the top half)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I totally didn't see that. Oh and there is Bold Lad right below! DUH! But it's all 5th generation. I don't think it's that big of an issue when you have to go back 5 generations then the gene pool is far more diluted. Most current pedigree analysis doesn't like to take into account anything farther back than 3 generations.

Well here is an interesting little update. We had planned to go back and look on monday as my kids went to white lake with the grand parents.

Anyway seller texted me this morning and said she had a lady from VA call and want to look WITH her trailer. Seller asked how serious I was.

Very serious I said, but I am not doing ANYTHING without trainer coming to see them together (I have sent video to trainer). I said I was NOT in a hurry and if lady bought him, it just wasn;t meant to be. I AM NOT going to be pressuered. Just NOT going to happen.

I don't know if she really has someone coming or not, doesn;t matter.I am not speeding up cuz she wants me to. I totally understand if she sells him today. Makes me wonder though cuz I would not have thought they would have been lining up for a horse with a bone chip in THIS market.

That sounds really fishy. Anyway I agree 100% Take your time, and follow through carefully, if horse is sold this weekend oh well, theres always another prospect around the corner if you look hard enough, though I agree it seems odd that she mentions this the very next day after ya'll rode the horse for only 10 mins...

White lake? Coming from VA? You must be in NC. I heard a couple weeks ago of someone I know slightly (friend of a friend kinda thing) who was trying to sell her 12 yr old jumper... Where are you located? I will ask and see if she still has horse and is still selling. - this horse won a bunch of shoes, girl is only selling him because she has gotten out of jumping - and needs to downsize her herd.

Never seen the horse canter or really jump in that video either. I agree though with the drugging that is a big strong horse for a child if it wants to act up or if does. I would show up early on Monday like a half hour early and then maybe another time too after just call like 15 min early and say we are out and wanted to know if we can stop by right now and go right there. I would be worried if she does not let you come on the spot ever. If she says no try again another day. I think it is a really good idea to lease first. After you last post though I don't think she will go for it. It may be a good idea to take him out of that environment to to see how the horse acts and maybe you would see stuff that is not safe for your daughter? Maybe keep him over night for vet check and your trainer at your place or something?

Good luck!

Todays update is I am waiting to hear what dd's trainer thinks of the videos. I sent her both and told her about this guy.

I assured HER (although she didn't ask) that I would not buy ANYTHING without her approval.

Scared of shadows yes I am in central nc. DD's trainer is an hour north, but worth the drive.

I am looking to spend about 1500.00 and I am confident I can do that in THIS market here.

One thing for sure when I now see DD on her 14.1h pony bareback with legs past her belly I realize how MUCH she has outgrew the pony. DD is only 5.1 and I am 5 ft but her knee and hip are 4" higher than mine. DH is 6' 2". I would be thrilled to find a 15.2h big barreled horse to take up some of that leg. But so far have not found anything like that. Pair that with most everyone being optimistic on the height of horse they are selling, and I am not finding a wide range of horses. But I have till spring anyway.

Will say dd does NOT seem to like the whole looking process.She likes everything she sits on and wants the whole thing done.

I thought it was hard when you HATED everything you sat on!

That was my experience 2 yrs ago. Made it REAL easy when I finally found my mare, I KNEW right away.

Well I am updating this.Don't know how many would be interested.

Lady that came with trailer to look wanted to "trade" for her horse she says. Also tells me she is very negotiable on price.

Anyway went back yesterday, came early did our own groom/tack. Still a laid back sweetie. She rode a long time and I took longer videos.But I have concerns that rule him out.

Cantered a lot and jumped a lot. His form is fine, but he was not as honest/true to the fences as the 15.1h gelding we turned down at trainers.

But I noticed when he came out that in the beggining when he trotted evry time left front leg came down he bobbed his head. Told DD and she didn;t fee; anything off.He does not look lame AND about 5-10 minutes in it is gone, after being warmed up.

So we ride in the ring, out of the ring, and up and down very long drive. He did at times get strong with DD , but she was able to bring him back with no problem, FOR NOW.

Anyway he needs 100# and I ask what she feeds him 8qts a day of senior and the lush grass turnout they have.

I have NEVER had a thorobred ever, and DD's trainer told me that my endless round bale buffett that I do will NOT be enough for him. My never wrong frined agreed and said her expereince is the more you work them, the more they eat. I am/was very concerned about that.

So after we are done riding I look very close at the knees.Left knee looks like an orange and right is normal lemon size.I say is the left front the one with the bone chip, she says yes. Now I had a little mare that had a knee like that and the last few years of her life she was lame, which makes me say NO WAY, and I am sorry bit I can not imagine a kne like that being able to handle the stress of a lot of jumping. SO he is a no.

SO for all of you that watched the videos and thought he looked OFF, he probably was IN THE BEGGINING and then worked out of it.

Also DD's trainer is NOT keen on something that big, and would much rather see her on 15.1 or 15.2 with a barrel, though she swears DD will not outgrow even slab sided 15.1. A few of you talked about the size debate.

Trainer says she inderstands me wanting to only buy one more, but says she would rather I get something 15.1 or 2 and if kid outgrows in size or ability we cross that bridge THEN. Told DD this IS the last one ~I~ buy after that you want something else you sell what you have to get the next one.

SO I believe that clears everything up.

Oh and Sadly DD loves this guy too, more than the 15.1h gleding so I have the joy of breaking her heart again! I am going to tell her we are LOOKING for something to buy. SHe just wants it over with!

Back
Top Bottom