Horse people..What do you use?...when riding?....

2468Chickensrgr8

Songster
12 Years
Nov 7, 2007
Ontario
I was wondering what your suggestions would be when tacking your horse for riding .....I have seen many different ways people tack their horses for riding....Do you use a Navaho(sp) and then saddle pad and then saddle?.....Some people use only a Navaho and then saddle and then some people use a saddle pad and saddle....would it depend on the saddle size compared to the horse size? ....We just trail ride our horses....thanks.... Going to the "QH Congress" in Ohio this weekend and want to get some flashy Navahos..maybe a saddle pad ....maybe new blankets....etc etc...hahaha

We use a saddle blanket and then a saddle pad on our horses. We ride western and own Quarter Horses. Adding the extra helps out with the horses withers and helps keep the saddle from pinching. It all depends on the breed and what saddle you are using. If you ride english - then you would only need a pad. If you were riding a fat little pony then you would only need a pad.
Hope this helps
smile.png

If the saddle fits the horse well, you should only need something for the absorption of sweat (which will otherwise ruin the underside of your saddle, esp. if it is a proper western saddle with fleece under there).

I'm more of an English riding person myself (hunters, eventing, classical dressage, lots of trail riding and hunter paces) but have done a decent amount of western riding and would far rather have a good wool saddle blanket, any day of the week, than one of these poofy fiberfil-or-foam-stuffed pad things. Better for the horse's skin and back. Cotton or poly blend saddle blankets, or the ones with a lining of fake fleece against the horse, are more or less ok too, to me, but not as good as a simple, thick, real wool blanket. (n.b. it helps if it's someone *else's* responsibility to clean the saddle blanket, though <vbg>)

If you are using an expensive, or hard to clean, "fancy" blanket for show, it is common to put a thinner liner underneath so the dirt and sweat go onto *that* rather than the $150 item. I don't like real thin cheap blankets for anything other than that, though, b/c they tend to shift and wrinkle under the saddle and you may not necessarily find out about it til either a) the horse gets fed up with the discomfort and tosses ya, or b) you discover a saddle sore in the making.

JMO,

Pat

Thanks for the replys.....soooo if you were measuring for a blanket/or saddle pad ....would you measure from the mid front shoulder to how far behind the saddle? and then from the mid front shoulder over the withers to the other mid front shoulder? and were would your measuring point be for the back end be over the hip area??Am I confusing you?
We ride western and my daughters horse is mostly Arab and it has been hard to find blankets and saddle pads for her...
and then on the opposite end my girl is part belgian and has a very wide back....
and since were going to Ohio I want to get all my measurements down because it would be hard to return if they dont fit....
Would a good wool saddle blanket change shape or stretch? Wouldn't it be itchy? Merci Buckets !

Best plan is to measure whatever pad/blanket you have now that fits best. Measure length and width if it's a plain rectangle; all sensible measurements if it's more complicated.

If it's, like, an inch short in some direction or there's some other way in which you wish it were different, note that down too. If you are really paranoid you could even trace it onto a piece of newspaper that you fold up and carry in your purse
smile.png

Then take a list of the measurements (or the paper 'pattern' you traced and cut out) with you, plus a purse-sized tape measure, when you are shopping. Voila
smile.png

Have fun,

Pat

my riding teacher told me the best way to girth up a horse heres what you do: you do a little at a time, if it's to hard put some baby powder. the worst I have ever seen was when the cowboy kicked the horse in the belly with his spur so the poor horse would suck in his belly! i should go and kick that stupid cowboy and teach him the right way!
rant.gif

Yikes ! kicking a horse to suck in its belly !! I dont understand some people....
What I have been taught was to tack the horse up and tighten the girth slowly ....snug because all horses inflate there stomachs and then bridle and then walk around with them and just before getting on the horse check the girth again....my friend walks around a couple times and checks the girth a couple times because her old guy has learned the tricks of inflating his stomach.....its like a game with him ...he doesnt act up or anything...its almost like he's laughing at her....It looks like he's atually holding his breath....hahaha!!!

If you just trail ride I would recommend an Aussie saddle with saddle pad or blanket. Aussie saddles are awesome for trailriding, you can even jump in them. They are very expensive, though, I thought, last time I checked.

OMG kicking a horse to tighten the girth....I would have smacked that fool.

I think alot of depends on the horse, the saddle and the environment.

Realistically, your saddle should fit the horse and yourself well enough that sweat absorption barrier is all that is needed.

However, I have had horses that needed the blanket, pad and then saddle to feel comfortable and relaxed.

My DH makes all of our saddles so there is never a worry if it fits properly or the quality. If I get my the 2 horses today, he will be making two more. LOL I wish I could scan pictures...I have pics of the saddles he has made and a series of pics that shows proper fitting of a saddle. You'd be surprised how many people are riding the wrong size saddle daily.

Last edited:
well I ride western and I have a Arabian mare. I tack her up and wait till she relaxes adn recheck the girth and also when she poots...a sure sign the belly is going down. She is Great really I only recheck it once as she trusts me. I have a older horse that does this alot and we just wait him out...

Back
Top Bottom