Horse questions pt. 2

Bird_Lover_17

Birds are life
Apr 9, 2020
USA
Hey. So I already started a thread on horses, but I have more questions.

I already know about breeds and that kind of basic stuff, and I know that they are a lot of work and $.

I'm going to raise them on my land (about 7 acres)

Topics I have questions about:
Diet
Grooming
Budgeting
Doing your own shots (medical)
Medicines
Western Riding (I have tried western and english and I like western better since it's more my style. I know most western riders don't wear helmets, but I would wear a helmet)

Last edited:

I already know about breeds and that kind of basic stuff, and I know that they are a lot of work and $.

Diet
Grooming
Budgeting
Medicines
Western Riding
Diet- You really only nee do feed hay, and no grain, or supplement, unless tis winter, or you are riding them a bunch, and they need a boost.

Grooming- You need to groom them when every you take them out to ride. I like soft brushes, shed brushes, sweat brush, and of course a hair brush. Show sheen is good for knotty manes and tails!

Budgeting- Well, hay, is the cheep part of keeping horses, supplements, and grain, medical, and set up is all expensive.

Medicines- Vetrycin, is a must have! You will also need a separate smaller pasture for horse recovering from kicks, wounds, stress injuries, etc. Horses are accident prone! Otherwise, saline, iodine, or other wound cleaners, cause, pollo wraps, and ace bandage wraps are good for wrapping legs. BUTE is another must have! Its fantastic for stress injuries, swelling, wounds, etc. You can sometimes buy it from your vet, that is where we get it, it depends on the vet you have though.

Western Riding- I don't like it, I LOVE to run, and we do a lot of fast trail riding, and endurance. English is SO much better! I feel you are more connected to the horse, you have more control, it feels better on the horse, and it more comfortable! To suggest a saddle, look up badlands equine, and look at Ghos treeless saddles. They are AMAZING! they feel great for the horse, and fit EVERY horse! The shims on the bottom can be moved to fit ANY horses back! Check it out, you'll se what I mean! You can also just look up Ghost treeless saddles, and check out the ghost website. Badlands Equine, is the US rep though, so buy them from there if you plan on purchasing new saddles!

Okay so diet depends on breed a lot so here are the basics. Draft horses will need the most food obviously and hot blood horses (ex: Arabian) will need the least but I suggest you look into that with research more. Grooming: the very least amount of grooming materials you will need is a rubber curry, body brush, mane comb, hoof pick, and a cloth to wipe their face. Budgeting I can’t help you there but western riding I can. Western riding: you will need a western bridle, saddle, and saddle pad. Your saddle will have to be the right size for you. (Ex. 15 inch seat) you will also need a helmet and boots are recommended for optimum comfort whilst riding. Your local feed or tack store can probably get you fitted for a saddle and helmet. Also be sure to buy saddle soap and polish as well as the right size tack. Vet fees and farrier fees also apply but I hope this helps! Good luck with your future companion!

Okay so diet depends on breed a lot so here are the basics. Draft horses will need the most food obviously and hot blood horses (ex: Arabian) will need the least but I suggest you look into that with research more. Grooming: the very least amount of grooming materials you will need is a rubber curry, body brush, mane comb, hoof pick, and a cloth to wipe their face. Budgeting I can’t help you there but western riding I can. Western riding: you will need a western bridle, saddle, and saddle pad. Your saddle will have to be the right size for you. (Ex. 15 inch seat) you will also need a helmet and boots are recommended for optimum comfort whilst riding. Your local feed or tack store can probably get you fitted for a saddle and helmet. Also be sure to buy saddle soap and polish as well as the right size tack. Vet fees and farrier fees also apply but I hope this helps! Good luck with your future companion!
Thanks for the tips! :)

Diet
Grooming
Budgeting
Medicines
Western Riding (I have tried western and english and I like western better since it's more my style. I know most western riders don't wear helmets, but I would wear a helmet)
I'll try to take a stab at budgeting. My caveat is much like the other poster's---a lot depends on your individual circumstance.

With having seven acres, you will most likely need to supplement your horse's pasture with hay and perhaps grain. The absolute ideal acreage formula for horses is 5 acres per horse. Now, that doesn't mean you can't manage on less, but you will have to plan and manage very well. I would try to find some literature on small scale equine management.

You don't live super far from me, so I'm going to guess that hay prices aren't really going to be much different. Look at $4.00/bale for quality horse hay. You may be able to find some cheaper or some for a higher price--but really, I don't want to argue semantics--I'm just trying to give you a base budget. And another rule of thumb is to figure on 100 bales of hay per horse to put in your barn for the year. Now, I always like to have extra and think 200 bales per horse would be ideal.<----that's just my type A personality coming through though.

Some horses do perfectly fine with quality hay and have no need for grain. However, some need a little extra help. You'll find many types of feeds and will have to pick which one your horse needs, if any. I think the more budget friendly feeds cost about $14.00 per 50lb bag. You'll want to feed by weight and not volume. That will greatly help you with budgeting and planning on how much feed to buy. Let's say your future horse eats 4lbs of feed a day--one 50lb bag of feed should last you 12 days.

You may want to keep your horses in a stall during the night, and out during the day--and then reversed in summer. Or, your horses may live out and have a simple run-in shelter. I currently have both situations on my farm. I buy bulk shavings and pine pellets about every 1 and half months. You can get a discount for bulk buying. It's about $370.00 for 30 bags of pellets and 20 bags of shavings. That's for 3 horses that are in stalls.

I prefer the Veterinarian to give any vaccinations. He's more practiced and knows his product like who manufactured the vaccine, where it came from, how it was handled. Vet call is about $65.00 per visit.

Now this is just to give you an idea...your area will greatly depend on prices but this can give you a base trajectory going forward. I wish you all the best and hope you enjoy your new horse adventure!

Peaches Lee... I agree with you wholeheartedly

Don’t forget the farrier every 6 weeks, and teeth floating once a year. Vaccinations run about $150, plus the farm call. My hay runs about $9.00 a bale. As my pasture is poor I feed about 25 lbs per day. Plus a ration balancer.

I had four horses three months ago.

I now have three.

My mare was 17 hands, and was basically a pasture ornament. It cost about 3300.00 in vet bills to see her through the colic and subsequent euthanasia. $250 to bury her, and that was cheap. And it doesn’t come close to covering the emotional pain.

Horses are a HUGE HUGE financial commitment. They live for 25-30 years. Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t do it again. But I have the resources, and a well paying job.

I know this is probably not what you want to hear...and I’m sorry. Truly, I am. I would like to pass on what a thrill it is to have them. But they are also dangerous. I have had cuts and bruises, I’ve been kicked, been smashed in the head by a horse’s head.

Just think about it. Very very carefully. Take a look at Chronicle of the Horse forums. TONS of great info.

Back
Top Bottom