Horse Show Pics!!! PLEASE CRITIQUE MY RIDING!!

S*T*A*R :

Quote:
you should take lessons.................

I would, but i don't have a horse
tongue.png

You dont need a horse!
big_smile.png

Just wondering if you dropped a rail aproching the pink and purple standard? you were looking down!!. by the looks of it your really off on setting up for your jumps, most of the time it looks like you are being left behind, i do not see any release going over the jump ( hands seam to be by the pummel) your hands should be 3/4 up the way and you should be in a 4 point seat in order to get you horse over. sorry to say this but it looks like your mount is to small for you . and this really erks me!!! but the balls of you feet should be in your irons!!! not the whole foot!

Quote:
I would, but i don't have a horse
tongue.png

You dont need a horse!
big_smile.png

so what you're saying is that i could take lessons with like the teacher's horse?

S*T*A*R :

Quote:
You dont need a horse!
big_smile.png

so what you're saying is that i could take lessons with like the teacher's horse?​

If you can find a lesson barn, they have horses for people to use to take lessons on. And, you may even be able to work for lessons. Don't give up the dream. I was in my 40s b4 I got my 1st horse. I lost her to colic after just 2 years, and the horse I have now was a rescue. I've done all the training on her myself. I wouldn't trade her for anything!

S*T*A*R :

Quote:
You dont need a horse!
big_smile.png

so what you're saying is that i could take lessons with like the teacher's horse?​

Most riding stables and lesson barns have several horses for beginners to advanced riders ready to show. I didn't have my first horse until I was 19, although I began taking lessons at age 6. I went once a week until I was 13 and began showing and then began to ride 3x a week. Some barns even offer leases or partial leases of their lesson horses once you get to a certain level.

Toby, how tall is your horse? He's smaller than I thought he would be.

That is a pretty little horse you have there...really clean looking and nice and long in the legs and yet finely boned....This looks nothing like the horse pictures you posted before...I think you did a great job, especially if this is just your second show with this horse...NEVER MIND anyone that tells you differently until you see some of THEIR riding pictures.I think it looks like you have a good seat, but I am more of a speed person and would probably fall out of an english saddle....I think that little guy looks really fast, as well....unfortunately that is the first thing I notice sometimes....I just wanted to add that your heels are down because I think your riding with too much of your foot in the stirrup. If you "stand" more on the balls of your foot your heels will natrually be "more up"...I tell my kids this too but they are riding western saddles, still the same principle...if you ride on your archs rather than you balls can you could hyperextend your knee should the horse unexpectedly shift causing your weight to force your knee backwards....jmo

Last edited:
()relics :

That is a pretty little horse you have there...really clean looking and nice and long in the legs and yet finely boned....This looks nothing like the horse pictures you posted before...I think you did a great job, especially if this is just your second show with this horse...NEVER MIND anyone that tells you differently until you see some of THEIR riding pictures.I think it looks like you have a good seat, but I am more of a speed person and would probably fall out of an english saddle....I think that little guy looks really fast, as well....unfortunately that is the first thing I notice sometimes....I just wanted to add that your heels are down because I think your riding with too much of your foot in the stirrup. If you "stand" more on the balls of your foot your heels will natrually be "more up"...I tell my kids this too but they are riding western saddles, still the same principle...if you ride on your archs rather than you balls can you could hyperextend your knee should the horse unexpectedly shift causing your weight to force your knee backwards....jmo

He is acually pretty slow!!
big_smile.png
In games when we run back, he is FAST!!!​

Quote:
so what you're saying is that i could take lessons with like the teacher's horse?

Most riding stables and lesson barns have several horses for beginners to advanced riders ready to show. I didn't have my first horse until I was 19, although I began taking lessons at age 6. I went once a week until I was 13 and began showing and then began to ride 3x a week. Some barns even offer leases or partial leases of their lesson horses once you get to a certain level.

Toby, how tall is your horse? He's smaller than I thought he would be.

He is 14.2, and Toby is my horses name!!
big_smile.png

I agree on your horse looking totally different,

michickenwrangler - I think maybe the heels up is a western thing? because I have never ever seen someone riding english faulted for heels being too far down
smile.png

your saddle appears short in the flaps for you, your leg has slipped forward and you have a 'chair seat'. Your horse is trying to take you to the fences and is limited by the lack of release. I don't know why he's jumping regardless of all the discussion before- but your horse your business- I'm no longer concerned with his future lameness as these fences look 12" at best. . . i would however caution against jumping any more till you learn to funnel him between your legs into the fences, all you will teach him to do is jump poorly because he is not straight. He looks like he could be a cute little pony , but i agree, you will outgrow him within the year and as far as I'm concerned you already have. I will tell you that if you want to ride competivitivly in the hunters you need a different horse . Equitation who knows because he will be what you make him- my eq. horse ( below) was NOT expensive at 3 ( under 3k) and I sold him for over 26k as a 10 yo. . . and there are many in between-

were you circling in the first picture or was it a run out? I suggest you work on the flat in a circle and work on spiraling in and out to teach your horse naturally to bend somewhat. DONT try to get his head down, maybe have your trainer ride him for you- I don't think you are ready to ask for real contact with his mouth at this point. I would still say you should trainer shop a bit if you want to move up. . . I don't know- your all over the place on what you want to do but I've learned you never get a GOOD experience in everything if your hand is in a million different pots.

and before someone flames me for my oppinion- I have ridden for 20 years and showed in equitation as a teen- I have my own faults to deal with and I never would have fixed them with out sometimes harsh critiques. we are all works in progress.
n58102172_30301299_8859.jpg

stand on your toes and this happens:

32059_547946529182_58102172_32080185_566821_n.jpg

Thats the spring Grand Prix at conyers ga and that was a SCARY lady- poor horse
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom