Horse Talk

Res - so sweet! We don't have many Hafflingers over here in Aus, but they are so adorable!

Welcome to BYC! Sounds like you and your girls are going to have lots of fun! You must post photos of the foal! Does the WB go back to Samber bloodlines? He was known for throwing nice dual purpose (dressage+jumping) horses so that foal along with the Arab/TB should be amazing for sport! Good luck to you and your mare!

Yes, he does go back to Samber bloodlines! He's rather scrumptious. I snapped a few shots when we first went and saw him whilst making decisions for who to cover my mare. Not long now, currently we've worked out that as he's homozygous black and mare is chestnut, we've got 25% chance of bay, 25% chance of black and 50% chance of tobiano (either bay/black). So everyone is looking forward to what is going to pop out. I'm just praying it's healthy and happy!
EMIR1.jpg

EMIR7.jpg
IMG_1128 copy.jpg
IMG_1093 copy 2.jpg

First two pics are of stallion, last two are my mare's "maternity shoot" with my three girls...don't mind the youngest one sulking, they say never work with kids or animals and I work with both!!!:wee

Sorry to hear that the mare didn't work out so far. Old horses are a lot of work but they tug the heartstrings.

Attachments

• EMIR1.jpg
    EMIR1.jpg
    888.1 KB · Views: 1
Hi guys, newbie to the forums here and perusing all the boards. Just thought I'd pop in here and introduce myself seeing as I'm a horse-mad woman with 3 horse-mad daughters!

I've ridden pretty much my whole life, gave up riding competitively to get married and have kids, but the kids have ponies and I'm currently breeding my own forever horse which is super exciting - my Anglo Arab mare is due end of the month or early November, she's in foal to a 16.3hh tobiano WB so it's excitement galore here!

My girls are 3, 5 and 7 (all about to have birthdays though) and they just love riding. It's getting easier as they get older to do more stuff with the horses - hopefully once mine is ready to ride they will be pretty self sufficient with their own ponies/horses.

They have a couple of ponies but they love riding our "super pony" - he's a purebred 14.2hh Arab and the most old-soul horse you'll ever meet.

Hoping to get them out doing endurance riding next year, as it's a really nice family friendly sport over here in Australia. I'm an avid SJ/eventer and it looks like my eldest wants to follow in my footsteps, so we'll probably eventually branch out into Pony Club and events too.

Anyway, I haven't read many of the threads yet but wanted to say hi, might pop some photos up later after I've read through some of the previous posts!

Welcome to BYC and this thread! :frow
Oh that is so cool. :love I'm planning in breeding my arab in a couple years, once i can ride her, stupid greenhorn. :rolleyes: Let us know how that goes!

Res - so sweet! We don't have many Hafflingers over here in Aus, but they are so adorable!

Yes, he does go back to Samber bloodlines! He's rather scrumptious. I snapped a few shots when we first went and saw him whilst making decisions for who to cover my mare. Not long now, currently we've worked out that as he's homozygous black and mare is chestnut, we've got 25% chance of bay, 25% chance of black and 50% chance of tobiano (either bay/black). So everyone is looking forward to what is going to pop out. I'm just praying it's healthy and happy!
View attachment 1150851
View attachment 1150853 View attachment 1150855 View attachment 1150854

First two pics are of stallion, last two are my mare's "maternity shoot" with my three girls...don't mind the youngest one sulking, they say never work with kids or animals and I work with both!!!:wee

Sorry to hear that the mare didn't work out so far. Old horses are a lot of work but they tug the heartstrings.

Wow he is GORGEOUS! And so is your mare!

Arwenreborn, both horses are gorgeous! Be sure to post lots of pics of the foal! When is it due, I can't remember if you said? I am still so sad about not getting the mare and so is my son. I did ask the trainer if she was sure the mare got a fair evaluation. She was nice enough to respond point by point about the faults she found in the mare, and she did have some valid concerns. She said she was just very green overall and, in her opinion, at age 14, beyond being able to be trained to be a better mount in the ring. She was baffled at how the mare reacted to the snaffle bit. Weird.

View attachment 1150851
View attachment 1150853 View attachment 1150855 View attachment 1150854

Very cool! Samber was also known for throwing good temperament onto his foals too! A very special stallion and I'm happy for you that you'll get some of that legacy!

Now, I realize that beau is in a pretty bad condition and we are for sure getting him. We are going to get him and give him the right home and care for him properly.

I'm glad he'll have someone to properly take care of him. He definitely needs some groceries. Please be aware though, that with that back he should never be ridden.

Hi guys, newbie to the forums here and perusing all the boards. Just thought I'd pop in here and introduce myself seeing as I'm a horse-mad woman with 3 horse-mad daughters!

I've ridden pretty much my whole life, gave up riding competitively to get married and have kids, but the kids have ponies and I'm currently breeding my own forever horse which is super exciting - my Anglo Arab mare is due end of the month or early November, she's in foal to a 16.3hh tobiano WB so it's excitement galore here!

My girls are 3, 5 and 7 (all about to have birthdays though) and they just love riding. It's getting easier as they get older to do more stuff with the horses - hopefully once mine is ready to ride they will be pretty self sufficient with their own ponies/horses.

They have a couple of ponies but they love riding our "super pony" - he's a purebred 14.2hh Arab and the most old-soul horse you'll ever meet.

Hoping to get them out doing endurance riding next year, as it's a really nice family friendly sport over here in Australia. I'm an avid SJ/eventer and it looks like my eldest wants to follow in my footsteps, so we'll probably eventually branch out into Pony Club and events too.

Anyway, I haven't read many of the threads yet but wanted to say hi, might pop some photos up later after I've read through some of the previous posts!

Hi and welcome!!!

I agree, I have 5 easy keepers that haven't even SEEN grain in about 4 years now. 2 of them are good body weights and the other 3 are a little fat but not obese. So, I don't know how you would make an easy keeper look like that horse does... put them in a stall and give them a flake of hay a week?

Yeah, I don't think he's an easy keeper. A true easy keeper you have to keep on a diet!

Well, it didn't. :( When we got there, our trainer asked the owner to put the mare in a snaffle bit. she had the mare in a correction bit. then she asked the owner to ride her or get someone else to. The mare hated the snaffle and kept throwing her head around and stopping, and she was very unbalanced. The owner said she hadn't worked with her much in the ring, and said yeah, she needed ring work. The mare had a cowboy on her back with big spurs and rough hands and that for sure didn't help, but she was very strong at the canter and our trainer felt like she'd be flying out of control around a bigger arena, especially with students on her back . I didn't realize what a correction bit is until I researched it, so I see why our trainer wanted to switch bits. I still want the mare. She looked so sad, for some reason. It made me sad. I came home and cried. :hit There was another horse there that we tried too...he was much better in the ring but not good at all on trails. The trainer likes him, she might buy him for herself. I still think we could work with the mare, but I think if I get her it would be all on me. :(

I hate that!!! People riding like morons bothers me so much! If you still like her, go back and ride her yourself, with your trainer watching.

My question is...why would our trainer insist on her using a snaffle? It should be a gentle bit, so that's probably why..but then why did the mare hate it, when, in fact, she can ride in a halter with no bit at all?? And why in that case would the owner be using a correction bit on her for anything else? Because she flies around at the canter? Wouldn't we be able to work with her cantering in a ring using a longe line until she became more balanced and used to cantering in a circle? It just seems to me that the yay hoo who rode her was more than 50 per cent why the mare acted the way she did. I didn't get a chance to ride her at all. Not that I would have wanted to right after he did, anyway. I don't like people who think it's ok to yank on the horse's mouth, while they're wearing big spurs.....:( I don't think we have much chance of finding what we're looking for, without paying a lot more than what this mare was offered for. I just don't understand it, they had all these videos showing how quiet the mare was, and her on trails, etc..and she was fine. Unless they had her drugged or something...I suppose that's possible, but I don't think so.

I wouldn't put it past blaming her bad behavior on poor riding.

Chicknmania - If you are in central Ohio, and are looking for a bomb proof horse that can do trails with potential to be a mounted police horse, I would recommend finding an Amish or Mennonite horse.

The BEST horses, hands down, that I have EVER had in the therapeutic riding program that I manage, have been Amish or Mennonite harness horses. Drafts, draft crosses, Haflingers, etc. They are all stoic, bomb proof and sturdy horses. Several of the ones we have bought have been "retired" from farm work because they are too slow or lazy to work in a team, with other horses. But that personality is just what we need....

I wish that was true for all! A client of mine acquired an Amish trained Belgian made, who has tried to kill everyone around her at some point! She was definitely abused. She's coming around though, after more than a year of consistent handling.

Arwenreborn, both horses are gorgeous! Be sure to post lots of pics of the foal! When is it due, I can't remember if you said? I am still so sad about not getting the mare and so is my son. I did ask the trainer if she was sure the mare got a fair evaluation. She was nice enough to respond point by point about the faults she found in the mare, and she did have some valid concerns. She said she was just very green overall and, in her opinion, at age 14, beyond being able to be trained to be a better mount in the ring. She was baffled at how the mare reacted to the snaffle bit. Weird.

Some horses hate snaffles! Particularly single jointed snaffles!

So maybe Mennonite horses are the calm ones and Amish ones are crazy? :lau

Maybe treated a little better?

Probably depends on region too though

Welcome to BYC and this thread! :frow
Oh that is so cool. :love I'm planning in breeding my arab in a couple years, once i can ride her, stupid greenhorn. :rolleyes: Let us know how that goes!

Haha! YAY for Arabs!!

Wow he is GORGEOUS! And so is your mare!

Thank you!

Very cool! Samber was also known for throwing good temperament onto his foals too! A very special stallion and I'm happy for you that you'll get some of that legacy!

Yes, this stallion is exceptionally well mannered and a real sweetheart, my mare is also very chilled and relaxed so I'm hoping baby is well mannered also.

I find the business of buying and selling horses arduous. My folks breed Arabs and to be honest rarely sell them, I think they like collecting but also they really struggle to find the very best of homes for them and I think they can't bear the thought of them finding a bad home eventually.

Haha! YAY for Arabs!!

Thank you!

Yes, this stallion is exceptionally well mannered and a real sweetheart, my mare is also very chilled and relaxed so I'm hoping baby is well mannered also.

I find the business of buying and selling horses arduous. My folks breed Arabs and to be honest rarely sell them, I think they like collecting but also they really struggle to find the very best of homes for them and I think they can't bear the thought of them finding a bad home eventually.

My main issues with her are her suuuuper sensetive mouth (cant get her to take a bit if my life depended on it) and she is 2x more althletic than my other 2 horses - beats the crap out of em both. :mad:
And we have to seel my sweet old lady because of her too.... Can't afford to feed three horses, and we promised Mira's previous owners we'd never sell her. :barnie :hit She's super smart, but she is SOOOO green.... And so am i. :/

I'm glad he'll have someone to properly take care of him. He definitely needs some groceries. Please be aware though, that with that back he should never be ridden.

Yeah, I don't think he's an easy keeper. A true easy keeper you have to keep on a diet!

I don't know a lot about his recent care but when we went to go see him he got hardly any grain and the owner put hay in his stall while we were there and he acted like he hadn't eaten for a while.

Back
Top Bottom