Horse Talk

It's a rare horse that is truly content to be alone; though they can learn to do it, it can be one of the hardest lessons of a horse's life. Some people start keeping horses separated, starting at an early age; though these animals may be easier for their handlers to work with without the "herd sour/buddy sour" behavior, they can be so socially inept that they don't know how to behave when they are in the company of other horses.:th

That makes sense and sucks for the poor horse :/

Do you think it's possible to get one who doesn't mind going out alone or being alone sometimes but isn't socially inept and can get along/know what to do with other horses?

Cause none of my family rides so if I ever get one, I don't want to have to pony another horse along if I go out

Although of course I'll probably start by taking lessons at a barn first so could probably go out with them and if and when I do get my own horse, I might have a boyfriend or husband by then lol

Do you think it's possible to get one who doesn't mind going out alone or being alone sometimes but isn't socially inept and can get along/know what to do with other horses?

Cause none of my family rides so if I ever get one, I don't want to have to pony another horse along if I go out

Although of course I'll probably start by taking lessons at a barn first so could probably go out with them and if and when I do get my own horse, I might have a boyfriend or husband by then lol
In my experience, horses are better about leaving others than they are about being left. So, what this means is that if someone canters off from you, likely, your horse will try to go with, also, they don't like being left in the barn alone. But, if you take the horse out of the barn and leave the others inside, they tend to be ok with that.

The way I look at it, and this has drawn some heat on here so take it as you wish, is that my horses are never alone, they are always with another horse or they are with a human. If I am with my horse, the horse is not alone. So, you need to get the horses respect so that in the absence of another horse, your horse respects and trusts you to pull the shots so that they can be relaxed with just you on a ride the same way they would be relaxed following another horse. Now, with a young or green horse, it still helps to have a pasture buddy lead through anything scary the first few times so that they can see it didn't eat the other horse, but that is just because you are likely with the horse for 1-2 hours and pasture buddy is with him for the other 22-23 hours, so obviously they will trust the other horse more and follow their lead better since they are more familiar with them, but for something not super scary, you should have enough respect from the horse that they will know that if you tell them to go somewhere that you won't allow them to get hurt.

Does this make sense?

In my experience, horses are better about leaving others than they are about being left. So, what this means is that if someone canters off from you, likely, your horse will try to go with, also, they don't like being left in the barn alone. But, if you take the horse out of the barn and leave the others inside, they tend to be ok with that.

The way I look at it, and this has drawn some heat on here so take it as you wish, is that my horses are never alone, they are always with another horse or they are with a human. If I am with my horse, the horse is not alone. So, you need to get the horses respect so that in the absence of another horse, your horse respects and trusts you to pull the shots so that they can be relaxed with just you on a ride the same way they would be relaxed following another horse. Now, with a young or green horse, it still helps to have a pasture buddy lead through anything scary the first few times so that they can see it didn't eat the other horse, but that is just because you are likely with the horse for 1-2 hours and pasture buddy is with him for the other 22-23 hours, so obviously they will trust the other horse more and follow their lead better since they are more familiar with them, but for something not super scary, you should have enough respect from the horse that they will know that if you tell them to go somewhere that you won't allow them to get hurt.

Does this make sense?

Yeah, that actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

So when you say not alone, does that mean they can't be in a barn in separate stalls either? Like they have to be able to touch or see? Or is that just as long as they can hear each other they're okay? Cause I was planning on having stalls and obviously if I take lessons they probably would be in that environment. But I've also thought about just a big run in shed

Yeah, that actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

So when you say not alone, does that mean they can't be in a barn in separate stalls either? Like they have to be able to touch or see? Or is that just as long as they can hear each other they're okay? Cause I was planning on having stalls and obviously if I take lessons they probably would be in that environment. But I've also thought about just a big run in shed
My stalls have half doors, so they can put their heads over the doors and see the ones across the isle, the walls are solid in the front of the stall and half walls in the back so they can see each other if they want, but, honestly, most of the time they go in and chill out and sleep with their heads inside the doors and eyes below door level so they can't see each other. I think being able to actually touch another horse is important, it lets them learn social skills, but, if they are only in for half a day, I wouldn't worry about it as long as they are outside with others and can see/hear/smell the others when they are in (and that can be through bars if need be)

Wow thanks Bunny! That was really helpful and useful so I'll have to keep it in mind :)

Although he also hates (and complains loudly) being in the barn alone and I don't think he can go on trail rides alone. So he's maybe more herd oriented than other horses

Some horses (usually older, experienced ones) can learn to deal with going out alone. The horse i rode for lessons did pretty darn well on trails for such a stubborn boy. :lol: BUT, he was almost 20, and a retired reining gelding, so he only got really hyper around mares. XD :rolleyes: They can learn, but it isn't easy teaching them. :lol:

My stalls have half doors, so they can put their heads over the doors and see the ones across the isle, the walls are solid in the front of the stall and half walls in the back so they can see each other if they want, but, honestly, most of the time they go in and chill out and sleep with their heads inside the doors and eyes below door level so they can't see each other. I think being able to actually touch another horse is important, it lets them learn social skills, but, if they are only in for half a day, I wouldn't worry about it as long as they are outside with others and can see/hear/smell the others when they are in (and that can be through bars if need be)

Thanks, that's really helpful! And a similar situation to what I was considering. The barn I was at before had the half doors and a big aisle so the horses could stick their heads over if they wanted. And I've seen other barns where the door is on the back facing outside. I kinda like it inside so I can walk by and pet all the horses :Lau

But yeah, I was thinking of turning out all day, being inside at night. Or in a run in.

Some horses (usually older, experienced ones) can learn to deal with going out alone. The horse i rode for lessons did pretty darn well on trails for such a stubborn boy. :lol: BUT, he was almost 20, and a retired reining gelding, so he only got really hyper around mares. XD :rolleyes: They can learn, but it isn't easy teaching them. :lol:

That makes sense and lol that's funny

Reminds me of Mira. Born in the desert - had no clue how to GRAZE when we got her :th :th :th

Awww poor Mira!

Reminds me of the dogs that don't know how to play with toys cause no one ever played with them or how to take love or treats cause no one ever loved them :hit

Thanks, that's really helpful! And a similar situation to what I was considering. The barn I was at before had the half doors and a big aisle so the horses could stick their heads over if they wanted. And I've seen other barns where the door is on the back facing outside. I kinda like it inside so I can walk by and pet all the horses :Lau

But yeah, I was thinking of turning out all day, being inside at night. Or in a run in.

That makes sense and lol that's funny

Awww poor Mira!

Reminds me of the dogs that don't know how to play with toys cause no one ever played with them or how to take love or treats cause no one ever loved them :hit

:)
Exactly! Now she eats - watch this- TUMBLEWEEDS :th Shes like my own personal trimmer. Eats all the weeds that grow outside the roundpen. :rolleyes:

Horses can learn to come and go into a herd. They can learn to that their stalls are safe even when they cannot see each other. It is best to let them live in herds with other horses and have access to pasture as much as humanly possible. As part of their education, a horse should be taught to leave the herd and to trust you as their leader but for some it is a hard process, for others not so much. My mare loved to be with the herd although I could take her away from the herd, trail ride, travel with her, camping etc. She learned that when we were away from the herd, I would keep her safe. Keep them with at least one friend and get them around others if possible, then work with them. You will have a confident horse who can do things on their own or with the herd. Training, training and developing trust. Remember horses have trusted humans enough to go to war.

Back
Top Bottom