Horse Talk

Sameeee! They have some pretty ones. Most are brown but some aren't

RIGHT!? Peppy San Badger, doc bar, Peppy this peppy that lol

I'm sure they're good horses but when that's your basis on the price and the "good lines", every horse has it and it's not exactly rare lol

But some of them are winners or whatever too

They're so much easier to take care of than QHs too. Take Smoke for instance. He is the epitamy of an easy keeper. His feet wear down pretty much by themselves, his fur is super wirey so he couldn't care of its -10 out, and he doesn't NEED to eat much.... But he doesn't know that. XD
His daddy was a big ol fat QH, so i get the size and the sturdiness of the mustang and the brains and cow sense of the QH! :love

Exactly! Peppy San Badger was one heck of a horse, but since he passed his genes on to so many horses I don't see why it'd be such a big selling point anymore. :confused:

They're so much easier to take care of than QHs too. Take Smoke for instance. He is the epitamy of an easy keeper. His feet wear down pretty much by themselves, his fur is super wirey so he couldn't care of its -10 out, and he doesn't NEED to eat much.... But he doesn't know that. XD
His daddy was a big ol fat QH, so i get the size and the sturdiness of the mustang and the brains and cow sense of the QH! :love

Exactly! Peppy San Badger was one heck of a horse, but since he passed his genes on to so many horses I don't see why it'd be such a big selling point anymore. :confused:

Oh wow that's awesome! I'd heard they were tough, good horses. Your story makes me want one even more. You ever see the documentary Unbranded? It's on Netflix, or was, not sure if it still is. You could probably rent it online too. But anyway, it's these 4 friends and they ride from Mexico to Canada across the public lands with 16 mustangs. Well, idk if they're all mustangs or if some are QHs. But basically they adopt a bunch of mustangs, train them, and then ride across the country with them to prove that mustangs are good, worthwhile horses cause a lot of people don't think so. I really loved it.

Also found this video a while ago and just found again (took a bit of looking lol) and I liked this one too and made me, again, want one even more lol

Smoke sounds perfect!

And yeah, exactly! I mean, he and his offspring have won A LOT of money but he also produced like close to 3,000 foals, which is a lot in itself, but them when you calculate if each of those produced even just one foal, that's suddenly a lot of more horses lol

And I kind of feel like the lines might be getting a bit too bottlenecked or inbred? I'm sure he was a great horse but it doesn't leave much genetic diversity when every horse goes back to a Peppy or Doc son....

I had to go thru my collection of winter turnouts today... First time in forever that I gathered them all in one area vs. being scattered and stashed in different locations. Counted them all and I have 23... for 4 horses. That is a bigger wardrobe than I have.

Oh Wow! So are you going to keep them all or sell some?

Oh Wow! So are you going to keep them all or sell some?

I will keep them all. They are worth more to me than I could sell them for. I have learned it is great to have several spares on hand... but never thought I had THIS many spares! You never know when a turnout is going to quit being waterproof, or when a horse may need an extra layer. And it's nice to swap out a clean blanket for a dirty one and toss the dirty in the wash.

Now the 15 saddles that I have accumulated.... I may try to sell a few of those! It is hard, though!

I will keep them all. They are worth more to me than I could sell them for. I have learned it is great to have several spares on hand... but never thought I had THIS many spares! You never know when a turnout is going to quit being waterproof, or when a horse may need an extra layer. And it's nice to swap out a clean blanket for a dirty one and toss the dirty in the wash.

Now the 15 saddles that I have accumulated.... I may try to sell a few of those! It is hard, though!

That makes sense! And it's not THAT many I suppose. What? About 6 per horse? Not that many if they all need 2 layers one day or one gets wet or dirty like you said. Or maybe one rolls in snow or a puddle and ruins their blanket that day and has to be swapped out? Never thought of all the possible scenarios hah

Now is that just winter or all their turnouts? Cause I imagine you have summer ones too?

Yeah, probably don't need that many saddles, unless you do lessons on them or something?

The saddle thing always confused me. Or at least it has lately. That was the other thing I noticed a lot of yesterday on the Montana Craigslist. Lots of saddles. Of course mostly western but some not. Some pack saddles too of course. But the confusing thing is even within western there were so many price ranges, even for used saddles, and then there were all the different sizes and QH bars (full or semi) and ones for barrel racing, etc. Does that mean you can only use it to race in? And what are bars? And some had front cinch rear girth or maybe it was front girth, rear cinch. They used different names for the 2 but I had never heard of 2 belly straps, we always just did one?

And how do you fit it to the horse?

I have no idea what to buy if I ever get a horse lol

Oh wow that's awesome! I'd heard they were tough, good horses. Your story makes me want one even more. You ever see the documentary Unbranded? It's on Netflix, or was, not sure if it still is. You could probably rent it online too. But anyway, it's these 4 friends and they ride from Mexico to Canada across the public lands with 16 mustangs. Well, idk if they're all mustangs or if some are QHs. But basically they adopt a bunch of mustangs, train them, and then ride across the country with them to prove that mustangs are good, worthwhile horses cause a lot of people don't think so. I really loved it.

Also found this video a while ago and just found again (took a bit of looking lol) and I liked this one too and made me, again, want one even more lol

Smoke sounds perfect!

And yeah, exactly! I mean, he and his offspring have won A LOT of money but he also produced like close to 3,000 foals, which is a lot in itself, but them when you calculate if each of those produced even just one foal, that's suddenly a lot of more horses lol

And I kind of feel like the lines might be getting a bit too bottlenecked or inbred? I'm sure he was a great horse but it doesn't leave much genetic diversity when every horse goes back to a Peppy or Doc son....

I remember seeing that! It was SO COOL. :drool
Some people think that a horse is only as good as it's pedigree.... ugh. They aren't wrong - knowing about a horse's lineage is especially helpful when you're breeding, But if you don't plan on breeding, their great-great-grandsire doesn't matter half as much. Nor can their bloodline affect the temperament of the foals they'd have - cuz they wouldn't have any!
But can you imagine how tough a mustang MULE would be...... :lau

He can open the gates now. :th
He takes the hose out of the trough and throws it around.
He opens the gate WITH HIS TEETH
He kicks the bathtub-feeder out of his way so he can make sure there isn't any hay underneath
And he takes the buckets off the fence and plays with them.
I'm so screwed :th :th :th :th :th

They might eventually, but since QHs are so popular and there are sooooo many of them, I doubt it'll ever become a serious issue.

I so wish I had a horse...
XD I said the same thing once

Then we got horses. XD :p
But now we're set up for them and Dad keeps getting freebies (like Smoke XD) and we can't seem to get away from them. :lol: :yesss:

Back
Top Bottom