Horse Talk

I don't know a lot about his recent care but when we went to go see him he got hardly any grain and the owner put hay in his stall while we were there and he acted like he hadn't eaten for a while.

Grain is not "normal" horse food; eons of evolution designed them to eat grass, not grain. Though an awful lot of horse people feed it in one form or another, grain can cause all manner of problems, and it should never be a major part of a horse's diet. The majority of what a horse gets to eat should be forage (hay or grass); like @Kusanar said, most "easy keepers" get by just fine on no grain at all. Some "easy keepers" can't even be allowed free access to grass because they will get too fat.

As for the horse's eagerness for his hay - show me a horse that won't tuck in immediately when you put food in front of him, and I'll show you a seriously ill animal. Every time I have started to feed hay at any barn where I've done it, all the horses that can see me start yelling like they are famished, even if they still have leftovers from the last feeding.:rolleyes: While it is possible that the owner hasn't been feeding the animal properly, you can't assume that the horse is being starved simply because it acted hungry.

Last edited:
All these conversations have been so helpful...
Cuz Smoke is DEFINITELY an easy keeper. :lol: Dad found some reeeeeeally nice alfalfa/grass mix, and as long as i make sure he gets a bunch of the crappy hay we had before evey night, he seems to do alright with that bright green hay.... But he's so fat. XD

Can't get a horse for a long time even though we have plenty of land (almost 3 acres and lots of people around here have them on way less) but I was driving by the town forest earlier and saw two horse trailers and got curious.... do you think it's possible to find a horse who doesn't mind dogs or at least wouldn't spook and go crazy over seeing one? Cause I'm not sure if people at least in this particular town would be respectful of them. I think they would but idk, some of the other ones are more rural and used to horses

I was also thinking of how I get terrified on trails when the horse does even nothing wrong and how maybe I am the one who ruins the horses haha I stopped being allowed to trail ride at the last place I was at :lau

I think it's cause I have anxiety anyway and then I fell off once going up a tiny little bank cause my seat was wrong and I fell on the rocks and then after that it got worse haha I was perfectly fine and the horse did nothing wrong. He was actually one of the calmest ones and was worried about me cause I was crying. I felt bad cause he didn't know what he did wrong and was confused and worried. And he actually stayed. She said he wasn't being a brat because if he was he would have been down the trail. And I think she was right haha I just had a really bad seat/balance. I got back on and rode back to the barn though, it wasn't very far at all cause we were already almost back

Anyway, I think I might cause horses to misbehave even if I got a calm one so I worry about that

But yet in the ring I'm fine and actually rode some of the supposedly more challenging horses. Nothing dangerous or really challenging or problem horses or anything, just like one that usually didn't like many people and a couple babies (5 and 6) for instance. So for some reason it's just trails, idk.

But I love trails and they're the most fun and rings kinda boring so I wanna get over it.

Sorry for the rambling haha

Last edited:
Trail riding, despite it seeming like a slow paced more low key equestrian discipline, is actually quite challenging in my opinion. You don't know what you'll encounter, be it wild animals, people, difficult terrain and unexpected weather conditions. For you, I think lessons on a well-seasoned trail horse would be best. Not just a 'throw you on a horse and let you go' situation, but one with an instructor who can take you along and truly help you. It sounds like you just need the experience! Trail riding is fun, some of my best riding times have been on the trail, and having a good trusty charger makes it all the better! Good luck to you!

Can't get a horse for a long time even though we have plenty of land (almost 3 acres and lots of people around here have them on way less) but I was driving by the town forest earlier and saw two horse trailers and got curious.... do you think it's possible to find a horse who doesn't mind dogs or at least wouldn't spook and go crazy over seeing one? Cause I'm not sure if people at least in this particular town would be respectful of them. I think they would but idk, some of the other ones are more rural and used to horses

I was also thinking of how I get terrified on trails when the horse does even nothing wrong and how maybe I am the one who ruins the horses haha I stopped being allowed to trial ride at the last place I was at :Lau

I think it's cause I have anxiety anyway and then I fell off once going up a tiny little bank cause my seat was wrong and I fell on the rocks and then after that it got worse haha I was perfectly fine and the horse did nothing wrong. He was actually one of the calmest ones and was worried about me cause I was crying. I felt bad cause he didn't know what he did wrong and was confused and worried. And he actually stayed. She said he wasn't being a brat because if he was he would have been down the trail. And I think she was right haha I just had a really bad seat/balance. I got back on and rode back to the barn though, it wasn't very far at all cause we were already almost back

Anyway, I think I might cause horses to misbehave even if I got a calm one so I worry about that

But yet in the ring I'm fine and actually rode some of the supposedly more challenging horses. Nothing dangerous or really challenging or problem horses or anything, just like one that usually didn't like many people and a couple babies (5 and 6) for instance. So for some reason it's just trails, idk.

But I love trails and they're the most fun and rings kinda boring so I wanna get over it.

As for the dogs thing, yes, horses can get used to them and not react, mine will actually chase dogs that are being aggressive towards them and I have yet to see a dog stand it's ground when a 1,000+ pound animal steps toward them with intent to stomp. My horses have even chased coyotes around in the field for the heck of it...

I think you need to have a horse at a barn where there is a trainer that will go on trail rides with you and give you pointers and will also take your horse out sometimes to fix any issues with the horse that you have created. Beginner riders being the sole rider for a horse WILL damage the training on the horse over time due to the horse is never better than it's rider, but, if you have a trainer or a more experienced rider ride the horse once a week (assuming you ride every day) then, whatever habits that the horse has gotten into can be corrected then.

I was also thinking of how I get terrified on trails when the horse does even nothing wrong and how maybe I am the one who ruins the horses haha I stopped being allowed to trial ride at the last place I was at :Lau

X2 what Kusanar said. Horses typically dont mind dogs from what I've seen, unless they're running around barking at them.... In which case you'd better start digging a hole. :lol: Usually it's the dogs that have to get used to the horses, not vice versa. ;)

Confidence is one of my weak points too! :highfive: :oops: I would see about getting some lessons before you buy a horse. Having someone who knows what they're doing around is a HUGE boost, especially if you know them. I work for my trainer on occasion in exchange for lessons, so i get to exercise his top-dollar show horses every now and then too.... It's a blast. :p

As for the dogs thing, yes, horses can get used to them and not react, mine will actually chase dogs that are being aggressive towards them and I have yet to see a dog stand it's ground when a 1,000+ pound animal steps toward them with intent to stomp. My horses have even chased coyotes around in the field for the heck of it...

I think you need to have a horse at a barn where there is a trainer that will go on trail rides with you and give you pointers and will also take your horse out sometimes to fix any issues with the horse that you have created. Beginner riders being the sole rider for a horse WILL damage the training on the horse over time due to the horse is never better than it's rider, but, if you have a trainer or a more experienced rider ride the horse once a week (assuming you ride every day) then, whatever habits that the horse has gotten into can be corrected then.

:thumbsup:goodpost:

Thanks for all the help and info, guys! You've really been quite helpful

Although I should probably mention, since I realize now it wasn't very clear, that I was with the instructor when I was out. I only went out a few times maybe and we actually went out as a group with other people from the barn every time. So I wasn't just turned loose and she actually did offer to take me out by myself and help me and show me if the horse was actually being bad or if it was just me but then I think she got busy so it never happened then we stopped going for some reason. But yeah, I think my problem was I was just paranoid and would assume he was going to do wrong before he actually did, which of course made the horse worse.

Although I did have a few real problems like when I fell (my fault) and another time when one horse spooked and mine tried to run after her to save her, though I did get him stopped/turned around, and also when the other horses centered, he tried to once.

Maybe he wasn't 100% quiet haha but he was/is 24 and takes care of his rider. He just doesn't like being alone

But oddly I was pretty calm then. I would just freak over dumb stuff like if he moved his head weird.

Although she did say I needed to control him, not let him speed up if I didn't want to

Anyway, yeah, horses are expensive which is why I haven't gotten one yet, but I probably could use some more lessons too. Maybe I should start again. And even if I was a really experienced rider, I don't think I have anywhere near enough experience with other stuff like emergencies and feeding and whatnot. Actually, I was scared to water or feed this one stallion that stayed at the barn briefly once lol

Maybe he wasn't 100% quiet haha but he was/is 24 and takes care of his rider. HE JUST DOESN'T LIKE BEING ALONE.

This is a horse, any horse, in a nutshell. They are herd animals, so a lot of what they do is the result of a "herd mentality." One of my pet sayings is, "when one horsey runs, all horsies must run." They may not know why the other horse is running, but if it's because of something dangerous, staying behind means "dangerous" happens to them - so they run, too, just in case. Besides that, running is fun. That's not being bad, or a lack of training, or anything else, it's just a horse being a horse. Most of the time, if you watch a group of horsemen and one or more leave the group (especially at speed), you'll see at least some of the remaining horses toss their heads or dance around a bit as they instinctively react to being left behind. A good rider learns to think like a horse; to look at a situation as the horse would, and anticipate the horse's response. So, though the instinct is to move, the rider says, "no," so the well-trained horse does as he's told - pretty much, anyway.

If you have anxiety issues, dealing with horses can make you better or worse; your choice. Because as you said, the horse feeds off of your energy, so if you are nervous, the horse gets nervous, and it can become a vicious cycle. Or, you can choose to short-circuit that system by refusing to get in it in the first place. You train yourself to see what the horse sees, and anticipate and deal with the difficulty before it happens. For example, I know that Syd has a problem with things that flap around (think flag). So if I see something ahead of us that is moving in the breeze, I can expect that Syd might spook when we get near it. If I watch her closely, she will tell me about her rising nervousness - ears working back and forth, head raised; maybe even moving sideways a little - and I can gently but firmly encourage her to move forward past it. If she does spook, I am ready for it, because I knew about the spooky object, and can bring her back under control quickly because I am not taken by surprise. My attitude in such a situation is, "when you are done being silly, we'll get on with this." If she doesn't spook, I praise her, because she paid more attention to me than to her fear. They say that there is no free time with horses; any time you are with them, they are learning something. In the situation I described, Syd is learning that she can trust me to do the thinking, that I won't get her into trouble, and I learn that Syd is learning to listen and not just react.

Wow thanks Bunny! That was really helpful and useful so I'll have to keep it in mind :)

Although he also hates (and complains loudly) being in the barn alone and I don't think he can go on trail rides alone. So he's maybe more herd oriented than other horses

It's a rare horse that is truly content to be alone; though they can learn to do it, it can be one of the hardest lessons of a horse's life. Some people start keeping horses separated, starting at an early age; though these animals may be easier for their handlers to work with without the "herd sour/buddy sour" behavior, they can be so socially inept that they don't know how to behave when they are in the company of other horses.:th

Back
Top Bottom