Horse Talk

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by abigalerose, Feb 22, 2016.

1. abigalerose

abigalerose Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    He's cute!! What's his name?
    I had a really good ride on June after I lunged her. She was going forward when I kicked and kissed, and the longer we worked the less pressure it took, she was turning good, backing up, and stopping so good! We did big circles around the round pen instead of just little turns. It was awesome!

2. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2015
    North Dakota
    Her name is Sneakin Cowgirl, Sneaks. To bad I didn't work on barrels instead of WP and trail...

If you are going to maybe get June used to a bit I recommend the one I'm using in my pictures

3. abigalerose

Feb 22, 2016
    Oops! I called her a him lol.
    I didn't even realize she was the same one you posted about earlier.
    And what is it? I have a snaffle right now. I tried it on her yesterday and she took it okay, just lots of chewing, but the bridles too big. We punched extra holes today so we can try and get it to fit her right, I'll try again tomorrow or Thursday

4. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    North Dakota
    It's called a Butterfly Snaffle.
    I like it since it has a little bit of leverage, but it's a very gentle bit.

5. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    North Dakota
  6. abigalerose

Feb 22, 2016
    Thanks!

7. SeaHen

SeaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    Congratulations on your beautiful filly! I think you're doing a great job with her training and your plans to take riding lessons and have a professional work with her under saddle. I LOVE Missy Wryn and have her whole set of training DVDs! She is an awesome teacher and person and I've followed her for years.

I tend to agree with some of the other posters that adoption is preferable to breeding, though I understand the excitement and anticipation of raising a new baby. You already know from your own research how many horses are in need of homes. I have 5 PMU foundation Quarter Horses, 3 that were adopted as foals from Canada 14 years ago on their way to the slaughterhouse. I also looked into adopting a nurse mare foal but live too far from the race horse industry to have made it feasible.

Pat on the back to you young lady, and have fun with your horsie adventures!

8. abigalerose

Feb 22, 2016
    Thanks! Although I have yet to find a trainer to work with her, things are going well so far with just me training her. I'm learning just as much as she is from it. I would love to adopt a nurse mare foal! I know there's a place in Ohio that adopts a couple hundred of them out every year, but that's so dang far from me.
    If I was just filthy rich I'd buy a big farm and breed June once, buy a Rocky Mountain horse, gypsy vanner, and an andalusian, and then adopt as many mustangs, nurse mare foals, and slaughter horses as I could take care of. But since I'm not, I suppose I'd better just decide on one or two of the options. So I'm thinking maybe breed June, and then adopt another horse later on

9. abigalerose

Feb 22, 2016
    Just wanted to post this.. I think it's cute
    [​IMG]

10. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    North Dakota

I either want to adopt a young mustang or OTTB thoroughbred for barrel racing since my mare is a bit older. But my parents don't think I need another horse [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by