Horse Talk

Pics
Getting our horses hooves trimmed on Saturday. So either on Friday or Saturday Sneaks is going to get a full grooming, Bert also. I'm not sure about the other 2 horses though.

Look at these two cuties!
Still trying to figure out how to get June to trot and canter on the ground. And she hasn't been listening to me when I whoa her, even though she knows what it means
1f914.png

Phoenix won't go sometimes, the more I try the more he'll stomp his back feet and swish his tail, I think it'll just take time and trust with him.

I'm going to introduce her to the bit and get her comfortable with using it, just so she can, but once she's broke I'm going to ride without it. And does anyone have any advice to get a little pep in her step? When I lunge her I keep adding pressure, kissing, waving my arms, but she just flat out refuses to speed up
I have a really lazy gelding. I use very short rounded end spurs and a short whip. I only use turn my heels in and use the spurs when he refuses my commands.
I use the whip only lightly. Over-use of the whip and spurs can hurt your horse but gentle spurs and gentle use of a whip can really help.
You don't need to use them forever either. If you use them for awhile and then take them off the horse will be more attentive to your leg aids.

Gentle spurs don't hurt the horse, they only pin-point your leg aids. No matter how gentle your spurs are though, NEVER kick a horse with your spurs facing in!

This is the type of spurs I use:

Yeah, I'll use the lunge whip, if smacking the ground doesn't work I'll do light taps on her butt, but it doesn't have any affect. All I ever get from her is a walk

Yeah, I'll use the lunge whip, if smacking the ground doesn't work I'll do light taps on her butt, but it doesn't have any affect. All I ever get from her is a walk

Sometimes I will use the tassels on the saddle just to remind my horse that she needs to get going

So. How does everyone feel about Aztecas?

Ooh!!!
1f602.png
brain fart.
I personally like them. I think I actually own one, I'm not 100% sure though, since she is a QH crossed with a draft.
Our draft QH cross is very nice though, granted she's 21, she's always been very docile since we've had her. A pain to catch sometimes, but absolutely wonderful. When I was 8, and she was 15, I was riding her and the cinch snapped, the saddle fell off, I was dazed for a while, but the whole time she just stood there looking at me.

It really depends on the horse and trainer though

Aztecas are quarter horse andalusian crosses, or quarter horse/Andalusian/?? (Some other Spanish horse breed that I can't remember the name of right now)
They breed the qh to the andalusian in order to get them back to their Spanish roots, and the qh part can only have a certain amount of thoroughbred in its bloodlines, and the Andalusian needs to have a lot of Spanish bloodlines, in order to register them with the Azteca registry.
I love Aztecas, and I LOVE andalusians, never seen an ugly Andalusian before

The only horse I've known with Andalusian blood was half Andalusian, half Percheron. I'm not sure why someone would do a cross like that; she looked a little bit like a Friesian without all the hair, but the horse was a total flake. I remember telling the barn owner that it was going to be a red-letter day when I could bring the horse in or turn her out without her finding something to spook at. I'd handled a lot of TB's and a few Arabians, but this animal wasn't just hot, she was black powder with a hair trigger. The people who owned her had bought her as a 3-year-old for their tween-aged daughter to ride; not very long after they got her, she bucked the kid off and broke her jaw. Needless to say, the girl was scared of her, which didn't help anything. This was one of the few horses that I had to stop, take a deep breath, and make a deliberate effort to relax before I got near her, because the least amount of tension in me got channeled to her and she'd be a loose cannon ready to fire. Rumor had it that she had been in the hands of an Amish horse trainer at some point; I don't think that was a pleasant time for her, because she had a marked aversion to straw hats. She was eventually sold to a dressage rider with the rider's coach/trainer's approval; hopefully they got somewhere with her.

Back
Top Bottom