Horse Talk

Pics
She seems to not show that much age other than her teeth and some occasionally clicking joints (heck, I have that and I'm not even 18! :lau )
Anyways, it's sort of hard not having an arena or anything. Our property is almost constantly wet. I'm curious though if she'd recognize the pattern... she used to be showed in all kinds of different stuff, not sure what all, but I think barrels was probably one event. I know someone who rode their horse who had a history of barrels and the horse just took off (he knew what he was doing! He remembered the course!) So I'm curious if my Cinnamon would do the same.

She would maybe need a little refresher. My mare may have learned barrels a bit, and sometimes I swear she knows the pattern.

I know what you feel by not having an arena. I don't even have an area that's tilled up!

Horses definitely remember; the bad as well as the good. Sometimes, their reactions can make you cringe . . .

A few years ago, I was doing the evening feeding at the barn where I worked, and a couple of other people were cleaning out a storage area at one end of the barn. This space had gone through a stage where it was individual slots about 2 1/2 feet wide, and one side was made up of a row of little doors. To simplify the organization process, the guys had opened all of the doors. I don't know how many horses I walked past that; most were vaguely curious about things they didn't usually get faced with but otherwise showed no reaction. Then I led in Hitman, an Off-the-Track-Thoroughbred. He took one look and refused point-blank to get anywhere near the storage area. I walked him around, tried again - nothin' doin'! We finally had to close all of the doors before he would come past, prancing and blowing and acting like he thought the devil himself was going to jump out at him. He'd been walking past that area for weeks if not months at that point; the only thing we could think was that with all those doors open and two people moving around in it, the storage space looked like a starting gate to him. We learned to close the doors and get people out of the area when Hitman was coming in, otherwise, his brain fell out. Offhand, I don't think he had much fun as a racehorse . . . .
idunno.gif

She seems to not show that much age other than her teeth and some occasionally clicking joints (heck, I have that and I'm not even 18! :lau )
Anyways, it's sort of hard not having an arena or anything. Our property is almost constantly wet. I'm curious though if she'd recognize the pattern... she used to be showed in all kinds of different stuff, not sure what all, but I think barrels was probably one event. I know someone who rode their horse who had a history of barrels and the horse just took off (he knew what he was doing! He remembered the course!) So I'm curious if my Cinnamon would do the same.

She would maybe need a little refresher. My mare may have learned barrels a bit, and sometimes I swear she knows the pattern.

I know what you feel by not having an arena. I don't even have an area that's tilled up!

I do have some flat yard space, but a lot of area around is trees and if it's flat, it's wet :lol:

Horses definitely remember; the bad as well as the good. Sometimes, their reactions can make you cringe . . . 

A few years ago, I was doing the evening feeding at the barn where I worked, and a couple of other people were cleaning out a storage area at one end of the barn. This space had gone through a stage where it was individual slots about 2 1/2 feet wide, and one side was made up of a row of little doors. To simplify the organization process, the guys had opened all of the doors. I don't know how many horses I walked past that; most were vaguely curious about things they didn't usually get faced with but otherwise showed no reaction. Then I led in Hitman, an Off-the-Track-Thoroughbred. He took one look and refused point-blank to get anywhere near the storage area. I walked him around, tried again - nothin' doin'! We finally had to close all of the doors before he would come past, prancing and blowing and acting like he thought the devil himself was going to jump out at him. He'd been walking past that area for weeks if not months at that point; the only thing we could think was that with all those doors open and two people moving around in it, the storage space looked like a starting gate to him. We learned to close the doors and get people out of the area when Hitman was coming in, otherwise, his brain fell out. Offhand, I don't think he had much fun as a racehorse . . . . :idunno

My mini remembers being abused. He's good if u get down to his level, but if you take a hand above his head, watch out or he'll go crazy!

I do have some flat yard space, but a lot of area around is trees and if it's flat, it's wet :lol:
My mini remembers being abused. He's good if u get down to his level, but if you take a hand above his head, watch out or he'll go crazy!

I have way to many hills which is good for building up muscle. But other then that..

I was on a page on facebook for mule owners. The people there advocate and support abusive handling methods and cowboy training. I was respectful when posting on there even though I didn't agree with the majority of the things that were happening. Everyone was complaining that their mules were hard to catch. They didn't get that the mules hated the owners due to the fact that they were abused and treated like beasts of burden. I was call self-righteous and holier-than-thou and the admins thought that was OK. However, if the used the word "cowboy" in the wrong context my posts were removed. I had to leave the page to keep my sanity. The animals deserve better than that.

I was on a page on facebook for mule owners. The people there advocate and support abusive handling methods and cowboy training. I was respectful when posting on there even though I didn't agree with the majority of the things that were happening. Everyone was complaining that their mules were hard to catch. They didn't get that the mules hated the owners due to the fact that they were abused and treated like beasts of burden. I was call self-righteous and holier-than-thou and the admins thought that was OK. However, if the used the word "cowboy" in the wrong context my posts were removed. I had to leave the page to keep my sanity. The animals deserve better than that.
What's really sad is that these people are treating an animal with more smarts and memory than they have in this manner, and then calling it "stupid" when it elects not to step up and take more of this kind of treatment.
roll.png

I was on a page on facebook for mule owners.  The people there advocate and support abusive handling methods and cowboy training.  I was respectful when posting on there even though I didn't agree with the majority of the things that were happening.  Everyone was complaining that their mules were hard to catch.  They didn't get that the mules hated the owners due to the fact that they were abused and treated like beasts of burden.  I was call self-righteous and holier-than-thou and the admins thought that was OK.  However, if the used the word "cowboy" in the wrong context my posts were removed.  I had to leave the page to keep my sanity.  The animals deserve better than that.

Iget fed up with people like that too...

Why does it matter? It's her horse after all and she can do what she wants with him.
If he works well under a hackamore or bitless bridle-- Thats fine. They are no limitations to what you can do with bitless.

Yes, there are limitations to "bitless" riding. If the horse is going to be shown, it had better know how to go in a bit. AQHA rules are typically followed by 4-H and most open "all breed" shows, and horses over 5 years of age must go in a shank bit in western classes or an "english" bit in the hunter classes.

A horse can learn to do pretty much anything in a hackamore or bitless bridle. What is allowed in shows and competition is a whole other ballgame. It is a shame that so much of showing focuses on equipment and "bling" rather than the actual ability of the horse.

I'm going to introduce her to the bit and get her comfortable with using it, just so she can, but once she's broke I'm going to ride without it. And does anyone have any advice to get a little pep in her step? When I lunge her I keep adding pressure, kissing, waving my arms, but she just flat out refuses to speed up

Back
Top Bottom