Horse Talk

Pics
Ohh, and, I rode both my horses today. That means June got her first ride. She did pretty good too. At first it was a little rough, becuase every time I sat on her she walked off which is totally out of character for her, but after some tough love and perseverance I got her to stand still, and then turned her both directions, then walked forward, just around a little bit in the round pen of course, but it was awesome! And I made a bit of a break through with Phoenix too. When I first got him home he refused to go any direction but backwards, but today we rode all the way to the other end of one of the fields (about 20 acres) and back, I did have to hop off once and manually turn him around becuase he was being weird, but it was still major progress. I'm so proud of both of them! And both rides were bareback with a halter and rope reins, just the way I like it lol
Sounds great! They sound like they're making loads of progress. I worked with my old retired mare today. She just loves attention!

I feel like they are! I know there's some people who think I should be cantering around on June already, but I like taking it slow. And I'm still learning too.
What is she retired from?

I feel like they are! I know there's some people who think I should be cantering around on June already, but I like taking it slow. And I'm still learning too.
What is she retired from?
From riding. For now. She is a 26 year old arabian mare. She's not in very good condition right now due to non-exersize.
She hasn't been really ridden for about 1 or 2 years now and she is healthy. Just needs work.
Tomorrow I'm going to ride Chess my TB/Welsh gelding. He's 7 and I am finishing his training.
He still has problems: sometimes he spooks, get's worked up, and is not willing but I am just going his speed on everything.
His biggest problem is cantering. He sometimes bucks at the canter it is taking a lot of time to get him used to cantering with a rider but I've already got him out galloping this year
woot.gif

I like to compete in barrel racing, gymkhanas, and endurance. I also like to jump him and school dressage but only for fun.
He is really getting better and he might even win a buckle or 2 this summer!!!
It's amazing how far he's gone from the 4 year old, super-super green, spoilt rotten pony I got him as.

Sounds like an interesting cross.. I'd like to see what he looks like!
And June doesn't spook at anything, the biggest spook I can get out of her is a head bob. Every once in while something outside will make her jump but her spooking involves less movement than a horse just shaking. And then she waits for me to tell her what to do. It's cute lol. And she's sooo lazy. I can't for the life of me get her in a trot when I'm leading or lunging. She's got one speed and she likes to stay in it. At least she'll make a good trail horse lol. Phoenix is slow to, but he'll trot if you ask him, he just doesn't like too. And if someone's on him bouncing while he's trotting that spooks him. He spooks very easy, probably from havin kind of a hard life. Oh and I shaved his brand, well, best I could with a beard trimmer, and sent a picture of it to the lady I adopted it from (becuase I could only make out his birth year) and she says it looks like he's from Adobe town management in Wyoming! And he is 13 years old. If that's for sure where he's from he must've been rounded up as a baby becuase their last round up was in 03 and that's the year he was born

I love barrel racing, but never tried it :hearts :(

I love racing!! But my horse is 13 years old so I have to make sure I'm bot pushing her to much. And my parents don't want me to buy another horse...

My Horse is 20 now, so I can see what you mean. I got my Horse when she was 18. I was thinking of just walking the pattern with her..

My Horse is 20 now, so I can see what you mean. I got my Horse when she was 18. I was thinking of just walking the pattern with her..

She could probably lope the pattern depending on how her joints are etc.

She seems to not show that much age other than her teeth and some occasionally clicking joints (heck, I have that and I'm not even 18! :lau )
Anyways, it's sort of hard not having an arena or anything. Our property is almost constantly wet. I'm curious though if she'd recognize the pattern... she used to be showed in all kinds of different stuff, not sure what all, but I think barrels was probably one event. I know someone who rode their horse who had a history of barrels and the horse just took off (he knew what he was doing! He remembered the course!) So I'm curious if my Cinnamon would do the same.

Back
Top Bottom