Horse Talk

Pics
I think it's so great how much you've progressed with June, your own riding and Pheonix.
I also think you're doing the right thing about getting June shod.

About your plan for the future with your horses, that's probably what I'd plan if I were you. You're doing everything right and should be proud of yourself because you were gutsy enough to take on June and Pheonix and look how far you've gotten!

I also want to thank you for starting 'Horse Talk' forum. Its so enjoyable to see how June and Pheonix is coming along and talk about horses!

Thank you! And I had no idea my thread would go this far haha, it's really nice talking to other people who love horses

Well, talked to my dad tonight about fencing their farm (something he has already agreed to) and he said that becuase of legal papers and stuff since it was inherited, they won't technically own it until October, and he said he doesn't want to spend the money to fence in 5 acres with wood until it's fully in their name, which is totally understandable. But part of the 5 acres is fenced with barbed wire (and probably needs some repairs) and he agreed to putting up my round pen and cleaning out my "indoor arena" area and putting some pipe fence off of that, and putting gates to the pasture so I can bring my horses over there. So on one hand, I'm excited to bring June to our farm soon, once we get there ourselves, but on the other I'm not very excited to move her from one barbed wire pasture to another, and that I'll be waiting at least a year for the wood fence. Oh well, guess this will teach me some patience. And we are still getting a lot done aside from that, which is good.
Oh, and check out the new member on the farm

That brings me to a total of 2 horses, 2 cats, 3 dogs, 1 cow (who has currently escaped to the neighbors property), and 12 chickens.
I have a problem.

Well, talked to my dad tonight about fencing their farm (something he has already agreed to) and he said that becuase of legal papers and stuff since it was inherited, they won't technically own it until October, and he said he doesn't want to spend the money to fence in 5 acres with wood until it's fully in their name, which is totally understandable. But part of the 5 acres is fenced with barbed wire (and probably needs some repairs) and he agreed to putting up my round pen and cleaning out my "indoor arena" area and putting some pipe fence off of that, and putting gates to the pasture so I can bring my horses over there. So on one hand, I'm excited to bring June to our farm soon, once we get there ourselves, but on the other I'm not very excited to move her from one barbed wire pasture to another, and that I'll be waiting at least a year for the wood fence. Oh well, guess this will teach me some patience. And we are still getting a lot done aside from that, which is good.
Oh, and check out the new member on the farm

That brings me to a total of 2 horses, 2 cats, 3 dogs, 1 cow (who has currently escaped to the neighbors property), and 12 chickens.
I have a problem.
At least you don't have 6 cats ;)
Kitten is cute...

At least you only have to wait about half the year now. I really want to get my little guy trained by September. Not all done, but partially. I have a deadline in mind because it is my birthday (one of those milestones in teen years ya know... In Pennsylvania, it will be legal for me to get a learners permit then...don't want to say the actual age, I'll get in trouble with BYC :D ). Anyways, for that "special" day I'd like to do something with the horses... Because horses are my life. :)

True, I was offered six but I only took the one haha. And I'll be waiting a year because even though everything will be ours in October he's going to wait till next spring to build. Ugh. Seems like forever!
And I feel ya on doing special stuff for the horses! My grandma asked what all I planted in my garden, and when I said carrots she was like Oh I love carrots! And I said so I'm gonna have to give you some then? And she wanted to know who else they'd be for (becuase I don't like them) and she had a cow when I told her I planted them for my horses lol. And September sounds like a reasonable deadline, that gives you 4 months to work with him. I want to be riding June out in the pasture by.. Well, June haha, becuase that's when I go on vacation, it doesn't really have anything to do with it, just think it'd be nice to be getting some good rides on her by then.

True, I was offered six but I only took the one haha. And I'll be waiting a year because even though everything will be ours in October he's going to wait till next spring to build. Ugh. Seems like forever!
And I feel ya on doing special stuff for the horses! My grandma asked what all I planted in my garden, and when I said carrots she was like Oh I love carrots! And I said so I'm gonna have to give you some then? And she wanted to know who else they'd be for (becuase I don't like them) and she had a cow when I told her I planted them for my horses lol. And September sounds like a reasonable deadline, that gives you 4 months to work with him. I want to be riding June out in the pasture by.. Well, June haha, becuase that's when I go on vacation, it doesn't really have anything to do with it, just think it'd be nice to be getting some good rides on her by then.
Im *hoping* 4 months will be enough time for little Eli.

I like to grow carrots too, but I won't eat 'em :p

This is my first garden and I wanted to plant as much as I could, so I figured the horses could eat the carrots!
I think I'm going to give June a bath today, then brush out Phoenix really well, and fly spray the both of them. I'm sure all my efforts will be wasted becuase they'll probably go straight to the pond, but oh well. And I don't have any horse shampoo, so I'm not sure what to do about that

Yesterday's bath was quite an ordeal. It took me two hours, and her mane was still dirty and dingy, shoulda been about 2 shades whiter, her tail was still the same as it was before the bath, and I had to wait till she was dry to brush the mud off of her butt. I also definitely did not get all of the soap off of her. The rinsing was hard, she loved the soaping (but I had to use dish soap, ugh), and rinsing the soap off was darn near impossible. She shook her head a lot. And then I fly sprayed her, which she didn't mind until I tried to wipe the spray on her face with my HAND, she was acting head shy, throwing her head, pursing her lips. What a pain. But even though it took 2 hours, and she could still use another bath, she looks much better!

This is my first garden and I wanted to plant as much as I could, so I figured the horses could eat the carrots!
I think I'm going to give June a bath today, then brush out Phoenix really well, and fly spray the both of them. I'm sure all my efforts will be wasted becuase they'll probably go straight to the pond, but oh well. And I don't have any horse shampoo, so I'm not sure what to do about that
We use laundry detergent at the place I volunteer at and they leave some of the soap in the hair to deter ticks.

My new hunk. He's not sound, but I'm hoping it is just because he was kicked in the leg and then run through a fence at his last home. Fingers are crossed that it is temporary and he'll be sound soon!

Back
Top Bottom