Horse trailer for coop?

I would build a large run at one end of the trailer. And be sure to put hardware cloth over all windows. There is partial shade most of the day too. I think the chicks might like it. :)

It should work if you let the chickens into the run during the day.

What state do you live in?

I live in Kentucky. Our weather is all over the place. :) But they will definitely be let out every day for as long as possible. I'm always here to keep an eye on them and they will be about 20feet from the back door of my house.

I live in Kentucky. Our weather is all over the place. :) But they will definitely be let out every day for as long as possible. I'm always here to keep an eye on them and they will be about 20feet from the back door of my house.

Well, it is a little cooler in Kentucky than in Texas.

It is starting to cool off here in Texas, because the highs are less than 100 degrees now. Today here it is 99 degrees for the high and 76 degrees for the low. The 10-day forecast does not show the temperature going below 70 degrees.

The other lady with the horse-trailer coop is in Virginia. You are in Kentucky. I am sure it will work better in those areas than it would in Texas.

I think the white paint is a good idea, though. Shade is also good.

Good luck with your project. Maybe you could put some flower boxes on the trailer and make it look like a little house.

Oh I like that idea about the flower boxes! That will also add more shade for them.
Thanks for all your help and ideas. Have fun with your chicks.

If chickens were locked in a metal horse trailer during the day here in Texas, I think the chickens would die from the heat.

I know it is cooler up north, but I am guessing you let your chickens out of the coop during the day, right?

I didn't realize it was in texas, I don't think I would keep them in then without alot of precautions. My chickens hate the heat. 90°s are horrible, 40-60° is prefect for us.

I didn't realize it was in texas, I don't think I would keep them in then without alot of precautions. My chickens hate the heat. 90°s are horrible, 40-60° is prefect for us.

I live in Texas. The lady who wants to use a horse trailer as a chicken coop lives in Kentucky.

I just saw that. The first time just replying before reading it all the way through first.

They should be fine especially since you'll be letting them out most of the day. I just bought and outdoor thermometer and hung it inside to keep an eye on the inside temps.

As long as they can get outside they should be fine. I'd guess summer temps are pretty close here as they are where you live. My coop is metal sided and has a metal roof, and I didn't run into any heat related problems this summer, the chickens seemed to drink a little bit more, but would find shady places in the run, or cooler spots in the coop. If it was to get too hot you could always hang a box fan in front of a window to help circulate some air.

If it's an old straight load with mangers in the front, make the nesting boxes up there. Than you can get to the eggs through the front window.

Security is going to be the biggest problem. Does it have full back doors? Coons can get through 2" openings so if your sides are open slats, you will need to put up hardware cloth all the way around.

If you end up doing this would you please post photos? It is something I've considered for our next coop, with an automatic pop door. I'd want ours mobil surrounded by electric poultry netting and I think a redone horse trailer would be perfect!

Back
Top Bottom