horses and chickens

hitchyourwagon

Songster
7 Years
Apr 7, 2014
missouri
My Coop
My Coop
We raise Clydesdale horses and I recently moved a group of mares to a pasture that borders a newly built chicken run. It was the first time the horses had seen a chicken and the first time the chickens had met a horse. As the horses curiosity got the best of them they cautiously approached the chicken run. The chickens were equally interested in the horses but still very nervous as the noses of the two spieces were only inches apart. As the horses stretched their necks to get a closer look the chickens were cocking their heads wondering what these giant beasts were all about. Suddenly one of the mares snorted loudly blowing dust into the chicken's faces. The resulting chicken panic attack sent the hens screaming back into their coop. The chicken spaz out spooked the horses sending them thundering across the pasture to get away. 2000 pound horses afraid of a few chickens -hilarious. Who needs TV?

A few months ago I gave all but one bird of my flock away to a lady with horses, chickens, dogs, goats etc. our house chicken who we originally brought to live at this woman's house met one of the horses and it was the funniest thing. She was at the very bottom of the pecking order but the horse and her walked up to each other, and my bird stuck her beak in the horses nostril.

That is halarius. my hens used to sit on my Arabian crosses back.we where cleaning chicken poop off her back on a daily basis.
D.gif

Those must have been some brave chickens. What breed were they?
Since their initial shaky start introduction mine have gotten quite used to each other. The chickens have quickly discovered that the horses always leave behind a little grain on the ground. Much to the chagrin of the wild dove population, the chickens now do the after meal clean up for the horses. They now share the pasture without fearing the other spieces but I can not imagine one hitching a ride. Not sure the chickens could even fly up on top of six feet high backs. We have had two Arabian cross riding horses in the past but both although quite handaome were a pain in the backside.

Back
Top Bottom