Horses and Geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by nonsuch, Dec 13, 2012.

1. nonsuch

nonsuch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Poy Sippi, WI
    My Geese go everywhere within my fencing, including the horse paddocks. Yesterday, I was herding them in the direction of their building, and of course the shortest distance is a straight line, so they all went under the Thoroughbred Gelding (as he was eating). At one point he started moving and "bumped" one of the Sebastopols. I literally held my breath. Thank goodness the horses are all super good with my Poultry. The same horse was "chased" away from his feed last week by my 6 Sebbies. It was rather hilarious seeing a 15.3 hand horse run when the geese came at him honking and threatening.

2. Arica

Arica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    Spokane Washington
    Funny scared of geese Do you have a question

3. nonsuch

nonsuch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Poy Sippi, WI
    No, but I thought it was interesting that all of my Poultry and horses get along so well. Sometimes horses will "chase" dogs, but they seem very comfortable with the Geese.

4. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    After taking a nibble on the electric fence my geese stay out of the horse paddocks. The ducks got in with the pony a couple days ago and she tried to stomp on them. I think they were sufficiently terrified so I don't think it will happen again.

5. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    My horses are very good with my geese/ducks. They all live peacefully together in one big pasture, but the geese/ducks can scoot under metal panel fence to get to their own feeding area. Otherwise, my horses would eat all their food.

6. tillyita

tillyita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    Australia
    Most of my horses seem to be fine with my geese but my Stallion chased them out of his paddock the other day. I have not yet seen the geese move that fast. I must admit it was quite amusing - they look so put out!

7. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    I bet that was funny! You must share pictures with us!! [​IMG]

8. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    tilly, I know that put out look. My geese give my horses that look every time they have to scurry out of my horses' way. Funny!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by