Horses- barefoot or shod

Quarterhorses1

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Jan 18, 2022
Just wanted to know how many of y’all had horses that stay barefoot. Thanks!! Your preference is valued as well

Your probably gonna get a lot of diverse/different opinions on this topic, its quite a broad one.
I prefer to keep my horses barefoot. We did shoe them for a while, but Lucy's, (our Quarter horse mare) feet kept cracking, so we decided to go barefoot again to keep her hoof wall strong. We ended up buying Scoot Boots and love them! Misty has an oddly shaped hoof, so I have to wear hers with an endurance gator or they will come off. Their feet have been improving. I think we'll keep them barefoot and work on building up their hoof wall so we can eventually go barefoot on our terrain. Lots of rocks and gravel, so it will take time.
I prefer barefoot to keep their hoof walls strong, undamaged, and healthy. I also think that having metal shoes must be so hard on their fetlock. There no shock absorption. Thats just an opinion though.

Your probably gonna get a lot of diverse/different opinions on this topic, its quite a broad one.
I prefer to keep my horses barefoot. We did shoe them for a while, but Lucy's, (our Quarter horse mare) feet kept cracking, so we decided to go barefoot again to keep her hoof wall strong. We ended up buying Scoot Boots and love them! Misty has an oddly shaped hoof, so I have to wear hers with an endurance gator or they will come off. Their feet have been improving. I think we'll keep them barefoot and work on building up their hoof wall so we can eventually go barefoot on our terrain. Lots of rocks and gravel, so it will take time.
I prefer barefoot to keep their hoof walls strong, undamaged, and healthy. I also think that having metal shoes must be so hard on their fetlock. There no shock absorption. Thats just an opinion though.
It is a broad topic, but I figured I would have different opinions on here, and I love to hear everyone’s Opinions. I agree with you , my horses are all barefoot, but I want to do what’s best, so I appreciate your opinion

If my horse is working, he has shoes, if he’s injured, lame, has an abscess etc, on box rest or in the paddock he has no shoes. I believe it is good to give a rest and just have them trimmed if they are not working. My farrier recommends it.

Last edited:
I've always kept my horses barefoot, unless there was a specific need for them to be shod. I only put shoes on when we were up in the mountains on rocky trails, all other riding they went barefoot.

Exactly as others have said, the needs dictate - if feet are solid and not sore, angles are good, heels not worn, no need for shoes.
Observation is key.

Back
Top Bottom