Horses Do Sleep While Standing

Our old guy just lays down everywhere. He's always been very carefree though. Just about the only thing that bothers him is our dog who constantly annoys him! Sometimes we'll go outside and see Sonny laying flat out in the yard. The first few times, we thought he was dead! Now it is common! The other three horses will take turns laying down, but you'll usually see one of them standing watch over the others.

My mare used to sunbathe all the time. It was very common to see her flat out in the dirt, snoring away. After the first summer of having her home, I got used to it
smile.png

On the subject of colic in horses, my cousin told me that years ago, when they found one of the horses had colic, they gave it some brown sauce whilst waiting for the vet. This brown sauce, is the regular sauce that you would use on your dinner. Here we have two main brands, Daddies and HP. All the supermarkets do their own brand. My cousin thinks that it is the mild spices, ginger, tumeric, cayenne etc that does the trick. She said, invariably, by the time the vet had arrived, the colic had responded to the sauce. Worth a try I think if your horse is unfortunate to get colic.

Quote:
I have never, ever heard this. I've had horses for 13 years and have a degree in Equine Studies... If it was a twist, HP/A1 certainly wouldn't do anything to fix it. Gas colic maybe...

He did give me a cranky look when he realized food was not involved.

57171_img_2574.jpg

57171_img_2575.jpg

Why, thank you for the compliment! Almost Dun, aka Stinky Dink, is a 14 year old Kentucky Mountain Saddle Horse. I've had him since he was three and he has quite the personality. I call him the Blonde Paso.

Edited to add: He's registered as an Ivory Champagne or Classic Champagne.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have never, ever heard this. I've had horses for 13 years and have a degree in Equine Studies... If it was a twist, HP/A1 certainly wouldn't do anything to fix it. Gas colic maybe...

Please folks, don't even 'try' brown sauce for colic. That was a coincidence and nothing more. There is nothing in brown sauce that will help a colic. Trying things like that can delay real treatment and worsen the problem substantially.

Back
Top Bottom