"Horses or chickens"

Horses, hands down, for me. But then, I've had horses since I was 12 (I'm now 62). Everyone in my barn right now is a home-bred. And I bred their parents too. Chickens live for 10 years TOPS. Some only for 4-5. Horses live for 25+ years and one of mine lived to be 34. I've known people whose marriages didn't last that long! Chickens are nice, but the bond just cannot compare (at least for me!) to having a 1000+ lb horse waiting for you, calling out at the sight of you, pushing himself to master something difficult that you are trying to teach him. They are just so incredible. My dearest sweet gelding actually waited for me before he died. Sick as he was, he needed to "talk" to me that one last time before he could finally let himself go. Then, with my hand on his neck, he sighed and was gone.

Horses are magnificent and I count myself lucky for every single day I've be fortunate enough to share with them.

big_smile.png

Last edited:
When I say they aren't doing anything, I mean they are not doing anything at the moment. With the short days and all the rain we get, this time of year the horses just eat and roll in the mud. Also the cost of doing things with the horses has gone way up, so it is harder to do anything with them that is fun. We have no place to just saddle up and ride here. We have to trailer out if we want to go for a real ride.

anyway,
This is Bein. My hubby has had her for 22 years. She is now 25. Bein is the "Baby sitter" horse. She is an Arabian.
l_da2fbcbff840946ec02a3b5b798886e8.jpg

l_cf77240f208af1808babb1426473fca8.jpg

This is CJ. He is my hubbys horse and we bred him our selves. We no longer own his Arabian mother and his daddy was an Andalusian. He is 8 years old.
l_651656264e098eb17e1e8f099b3da190.jpg

l_e269746147ffc97dac18215a115f386e.jpg

l_df3d251f009be5efbdcd2a646dedac43.jpg

And Catalina. She was bred by my mother-in-law who gave her to us for my son's 4th birthday. She is now 2.
l_65a4098a5f31dc8acb96c75215b6d618.jpg

l_3fd7a3471bddae58e3ab9acd10349f6d.jpg

Rocky, we have had him for 4 years. He was a rescue and not registered. We think he is 12.
l_aa90768d57c7b1e994a8fb412ca1cf9d.jpg

l_9fea7efb5e6c34bfcce72ad31095e314.jpg

l_de39245bdb54013721274085e51b840d.jpg

And Slick who is registered and 15. We have had him almost 4 years too.
l_45365df3930c96e7c81e8d2ab74aef5c.jpg

l_e756f6237f9bb8d3c00962fa057b470d.jpg

(Yes, my son is holding a chicken while riding.)

l_221d2ad06e9cc7e3743796a6e69ee7bd.jpg

So, yes the horses are feed bags a lot of the time, but they are very special too.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Oh my gosh thank you for sharing that story. That is the most touching story I have ever heard. Horses are just amazing to me. Your story proves it.

Quote:
You may change your mind when she is a teen looking at the boys. Horses saved me from a road I was teetering on going down with boys and other trouble. I was so busy working to pay for my horses maintenance and upkeep I had no time for any of that stuff. I loved to show my horse. I couldn't afford to buy hay and do bad things, It was the wisest decision my parents ever made for me growing up.

So That's why my parents let me keep my horse!! I thought I just won the argument everytime. I have adult children now, still have horses and my Dad still gripes about them even though he doesn't have to pay for them -EVER- He and Mom just moved in with us last August. I think he is starting to break though, he fed them for me tonight with out me even knowing it.

You know over the years my husband has complained here and there. He wants most of the horses gone, but then we have competetive cutting horses and they just aren't cheap. However, when the kids melted down about selling their show horses he realized yet again why we have them. Now my oldest is taking up the training end of horses and he is realizing the benefit they have had on our families lives. And he doesn't mind the income I get for training outside horses also.

Chickens, well that was another upset to him this year. He decided we should have quail and yet doesn't want to put in the time or help. He does travel quite a bit, but then he does have some time home. Anyhow, this past time he has been home he realized how much work we have done with chickens/quail/ and now my daughter's pony training. He is talking about building another coop on top of the additional run I am about to start on. He is also finally talking about the aviary I want for the quail. Oh and the one two year old geldings I have slated to go up for sale he told me not to sell as he wants him! LOL Men!

I say give it some time. He maybe like mine and realize the benefit after they are productive. My hubby LOVES the fresh eggs - and his father is always excited about the chickens. He even got a kick out of our RIR riding in the polaris with him the other day.

You are so close to producing some eggs and maybe once you go and sell them he won't mind as much.

Horses kept me sane growing up especially the horrible marriage my parents had and then her running away when I was 14 and my brother was 7!!!
they keep my soul whole
love.gif
and uuummm I work 3 part time jobs plus care for my 2 kids, the house, 2 horses, 5 brahmas, 1 amerecauna, and 4 silkies, without me working I would not have my own horse and I couldn't imagine living without my Cheyenne!!
oh FYI my husband is not much of a animal fan but we are converting him slowly
bun.gif

I have always wanted a horse. I don't mean to pry, so I won't be offended if you don't feel like answering, but I'm curious - how much does it cost to feed a horse (vet, ferrier, etc.) per month? I would love to buy a paint, but want to make sure I know what I'm getting into.

How many chickens/horses do you have?

I hope everything works out for you. Just remind your hubby that the stress relief is saving you tons of therapist bills, so can't you keep both? LOL.
smile.png

looks to me like you horses DO lots for you and your family..and besides,the two minis hardly eat anything,so they dont really count..and did I understand correctly you husband WILL NOT get rid of his but expects you to let yours or the kids ponies go??...thats not fair,those horses may some day keep your kids off the streets and drugs,I think that is reason enough to keep them,I wouldnt sell either,but then I dont drink,smoke or gamble,I dont run around,I dont go crazy shopping,(I hate shopping unless its animal stuff) I dont need name brand clothes (Carhartt is fine with me) and I earn a living so I think that earns me the right to keep any critter I want..but thats just me,and my husband would never ask me to get rid of any,and thats just him..we understand what keeps each other happy and it works for us.

As the owner of one horse, who does nothing but eat and poop right now. And a small flock of currently waiting to lay, pullets.
I can tell you the horses are the ones to cut back on. But the market isnt the best right now. Tons of free and nearly free really nice horses out there. Chickens are the "easier" ones to find "homes" for.

That said. My dh knows better than to ask me to choose. He has seen me "change" right before his eyes from stressed out "I am going to KILL someone" to peaceful, smiling and happy. Just from a trip to the barn to clean stall and groom the pig.
smile.png
And I am happy to be able to pay the horse's way(board, feed) on my own now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom