Here’s some more pics, she has one dark leg and is flea bitten under her winter coat. The lady says she’s a bit skittish, is broke to ride, but it’s been about a year and she’s one of the horses that tends to ‘forget’ what’s expected of her, so she’ll take some workView attachment 3439095View attachment 3439097View attachment 3439099View attachment 3439098View attachment 3439100
Her dark leg is very unique, and I agree with Mare, it sounds kinda sketchy

Ok yall, I know two people have already said ‘red flags’ and ‘sketchy’ (yet have given no specifics as to what sounds off) but TRUST me, I’m going into this on tiptoes. I may have only had a horse for a little bit but I have done EXTENSIVE research and know telltale signs and subtle things to pick up on (due to interning with an AMAZING woman).

PLUS, if you knew the backstory, I doubt you’d be so quick to jump on your suspicions. The owner JUST went through a high risk pregnancy (reason for the mare not being ridden) She just went through a DIVORCE, now having to care for her three month old son all alone. SO with that being said OF COURSE she hasn’t been able to give the mare the time she wanted to give her.

We don't know you or who you know. We didn't see the ad. After having horses for over 20 years, I wanted to make sure you were prepared just in case. I have heard more stories and experienced even more myself. I used to have 11 horses. After my husband died, I rehomed a few. So yes - I know what those sad stories are like. I've lived one. I've also heard a lot of sad stories that were nothing more than selling strategies to unload crazy horses onto unsuspecting, kind people. I'd rather say something than just not say something. Just in case.

However, not knowing anything other than what you said - here is how I read it.

What you said:
The lady says she’s a bit skittish, is broke to ride, but it’s been about a year and she’s one of the horses that tends to ‘forget’ what’s expected of her, so she’ll take some work

How I read it in brackets:
The lady says she’s a bit skittish[good luck catching her], is broke to ride, but it’s been about a year and she’s one of the horses that tends to ‘forget’ what’s expected of her, so she’ll take some work [she needs a trainer because she was ridden inconsistently and then put out to pasture]

None of these things could be true. Some could be. All could be. Those are ways horse people talk to sugar coat issues. That's why when I hear things like that - my flags come up. It seems she's already explained the reason for her sitting and for selling. That's good. Glad you have someone experienced going with you. Please keep us posted - she's cute!

Ok yall, I know two people have already said ‘red flags’ and ‘sketchy’ (yet have given no specifics as to what sounds off) but TRUST me, I’m going into this on tiptoes. I may have only had a horse for a little bit but I have done EXTENSIVE research and know telltale signs and subtle things to pick up on (due to interning with an AMAZING woman).

PLUS, if you knew the backstory, I doubt you’d be so quick to jump on your suspicions. The owner JUST went through a high risk pregnancy (reason for the mare not being ridden) She just went through a DIVORCE, now having to care for her three month old son all alone. SO with that being said OF COURSE she hasn’t been able to give the mare the time she wanted to give her.
The skittish part is a red flag for me personally. Might just be my experience, but my horse was a barely handled and completely untrained stallion that's half blind. He's never been the slightest bit skittish.
Just research, in my experience, doesn't really cut it. I did TONS of research, but actually working with horses and people that had horses their whole lives is what taught me the most. There's a big difference from seeing something firsthand than just reading about it.
A horse that forgets what's expected of it is also one that I wouldn't get, especially since you just got your first horse not that long ago. This isn't anything directed at you, and not meant to be mean in any way! You seem like an amazing owner even if you are still learning some things, which is why we're trying to help. I personally think that you shouldn't get this horse, with the number one reason being you just got your other horse (which is your first horse, right?). I've had my horse for I think 7 months now, and had a job with horses for a few months before that. And I still don't think I would get another horse, because of all the time, energy, and money that goes into one. Again, I really hope this doesn't come across as negative at all, that truly is not my intention.

We don't know you or who you know. We didn't see the ad. After having horses for over 20 years, I wanted to make sure you were prepared just in case. I have heard more stories and experienced even more myself. I used to have 11 horses. After my husband died, I rehomed a few. So yes - I know what those sad stories are like. I've lived one. I've also heard a lot of sad stories that were nothing more than selling strategies to unload crazy horses onto unsuspecting, kind people. I'd rather say something than just not say something. Just in case.

However, not knowing anything other than what you said - here is how I read it.

What you said:

How I read it in brackets:
The lady says she’s a bit skittish[good luck catching her], is broke to ride, but it’s been about a year and she’s one of the horses that tends to ‘forget’ what’s expected of her, so she’ll take some work [she needs a trainer because she was ridden inconsistently and then put out to pasture]

None of these things could be true. Some could be. All could be. Those are ways horse people talk to sugar coat issues. That's why when I hear things like that - my flags come up. It seems she's already explained the reason for her sitting and for selling. That's good. Glad you have someone experienced going with you. Please keep us posted - she's cute!
I’ll keep y’all posted! Thanks for the explanation, I actually didn’t reach out to her to get the horse off her hands, she reached out to me because she heard we rescue animals.

The skittish part is a red flag for me personally. Might just be my experience, but my horse was a barely handled and completely untrained stallion that's half blind. He's never been the slightest bit skittish.
Just research, in my experience, doesn't really cut it. I did TONS of research, but actually working with horses and people that had horses their whole lives is what taught me the most. There's a big difference from seeing something firsthand than just reading about it.
A horse that forgets what's expected of it is also one that I wouldn't get, especially since you just got your first horse not that long ago. This isn't anything directed at you, and not meant to be mean in any way! You seem like an amazing owner even if you are still learning some things, which is why we're trying to help. I personally think that you shouldn't get this horse, with the number one reason being you just got your other horse (which is your first horse, right?). I've had my horse for I think 7 months now, and had a job with horses for a few months before that. And I still don't think I would get another horse, because of all the time, energy, and money that goes into one. Again, I really hope this doesn't come across as negative at all, that truly is not my intention.
Yes, this is my first horse, but I have been around horses, worked with horses, and ridden from the time I turned 8yrs old.

Back
Top Bottom