Just to let anyone who needs to know, know, horses with lamenitis can be treated with diet changes, and make a remarkable recovery. I have a chronic founder case Quarab who was from an all you can eat pasture situation that worked for the old horses a gentleman had, but wasn't very good for Max. When I got him in November of 2022, he had very ringed, long feet. He had not had farrier care in a few years. You could not tell that he was lame because he was lame on all 4 feet, so badly you couldn't pick up any one foot. I put him on a dry lot, soaked his hay and changed his feed, and noticed him looking better and losing crest. He was still very sore however, and my Farrier told me to prepare for the possibility that he'd never be rideable in October 2023, but by January of this year, the crest had come off and he'd lost a lot of fat weight, and was much healthier. Fast forward to March 2024, and he is kicking up his heels! He fussed at the farrier,(very unusual for his temperament) and I decided to lunge him, which had been impossible because of his pain level. I pulled out my flag, and he was off! I was floored. He got up to a trot, (Didn't have room to canter, but would have!) And my farrier was able to trim off a LOT of old foot! According to how fast his feet are growing and his massive demeanor change, he is on track to be light riding in June! He may be medium riding later in the summer or fall, due entirely to getting his sugars down!  Do not underestimate diet changes! They can make all the difference.

Just to let anyone who needs to know, know, horses with lamenitis can be treated with diet changes, and make a remarkable recovery. I have a chronic founder case Quarab who was from an all you can eat pasture situation that worked for the old horses a gentleman had, but wasn't very good for Max. When I got him in November of 2022, he had very ringed, long feet. He had not had farrier care in a few years. You could not tell that he was lame because he was lame on all 4 feet, so badly you couldn't pick up any one foot. I put him on a dry lot, soaked his hay and changed his feed, and noticed him looking better and losing crest. He was still very sore however, and my Farrier told me to prepare for the possibility that he'd never be rideable in October 2023, but by January of this year, the crest had come off and he'd lost a lot of fat weight, and was much healthier. Fast forward to March 2024, and he is kicking up his heels! He fussed at the farrier,(very unusual for his temperament) and I decided to lunge him, which had been impossible because of his pain level. I pulled out my flag, and he was off! I was floored. He got up to a trot, (Didn't have room to canter, but would have!) And my farrier was able to trim off a LOT of old foot! According to how fast his feet are growing and his massive demeanor change, he is on track to be light riding in June! He may be medium riding later in the summer or fall, due entirely to getting his sugars down!  Do not underestimate diet changes! They can make all the difference.
Wow!!!

I brought my sister out to our new facility and we explored some of the trails today. It's gorgeous out there. :love We didn't even go through the whole trail! There's like 90 something acres that you can ride around, mostly trails that go between properties. I definitely need to get back in the saddle and bring Ginger out on them some more! Maybe this weekend...

20240411_171819.jpg

Attachments

• 20240411_172259.jpg
    20240411_172259.jpg
    788.7 KB · Views: 6
I brought my sister out to our new facility and we explored some of the trails today. It's gorgeous out there. :love We didn't even go through the whole trail! There's like 90 something acres that you can ride around, mostly trails that go between properties. I definitely need to get back in the saddle and bring Ginger out on them some more! Maybe this weekend...

View attachment 3798880
Awesome!!!!

Our last retired mare passed away a couple of weeks ago. No idea what was wrong with her except that it wasn't colic. She just basically laid down in the field and wouldn't get up again. We called 5 different vets and no one could come right away. We were also expecting a hellacious storm with tornados and hail so I couldn't bring myself to just leave her in the pasture. Eventually DH, a friend, and I decided to pull a MacGyver move by rolling her onto a gate panel and then pull it using our truck to get her into the barn JUST before the weather cut loose. We sat with her in the barn for hours and hours until the vet finally came by to euthanize her. It was so very sad although she had a good long life (26 yrs) and was very loved & cared for...

20240325_122644.jpg

For the first time in 20 years, we do not have horses to care for daily.... The farm seems eerily empty and quiet. We DO still own horses, they just are being leased out. When they eventually retire in the years ahead, I'm sure they may come back here. It's just sad and lonely without them...

Our last retired mare passed away a couple of weeks ago. No idea what was wrong with her except that it wasn't colic. She just basically laid down in the field and wouldn't get up again. We called 5 different vets and no one could come right away. We were also expecting a hellacious storm with tornados and hail so I couldn't bring myself to just leave her in the pasture. Eventually DH, a friend, and I decided to pull a MacGyver move by rolling her onto a gate panel and then pull it using our truck to get her into the barn JUST before the weather cut loose. We sat with her in the barn for hours and hours until the vet finally came by to euthanize her. It was so very sad although she had a good long life (26 yrs) and was very loved & cared for...

View attachment 3799250

For the first time in 20 years, we do not have horses to care for daily.... The farm seems eerily empty and quiet. We DO still own horses, they just are being leased out. When they eventually retire in the years ahead, I'm sure they may come back here. It's just sad and lonely without them...
I’m so sorry :hugs :hugs :hugs

View attachment 3798880
That sounds like a lot of fun! It’s so nice to just enjoy being out in the fresh air on a horse!

Back
Top Bottom